Sign in with
Your question

Is my fan supposed to be this slow?

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2012 10:52:37 PM

just got a new zalman z9 plus and the video below shows how slow my side fan is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTFRWlozTM

My old cases side fan was pretty fast rotation wise and this one seems slow.

also i have the wire plugged into one of the sys_fan ports on the MoBo. does it matter whether it is plugged in sys_fan1 or sys_fan3?

More about : fan supposed slow

November 6, 2012 11:01:24 PM

nope it shouldn't matter which one it is plugged into. is the sys_fan port a 4 pin? and is the fan a 4 pin? if this is the case, you may just have particularly low case temps.
m
l
November 6, 2012 11:05:44 PM

Well, I have a Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 case, and the 120mm fans on it spin pretty quick, so I believe that it's a problem with either that fan, or the motherboard.

Do any other fans spin that slow? Try plugging that fan into a different sys_fan header, and put a different fan in the one that that is plugged into, if it begis to spin at a normal rate, it may be a problem with your mobo.

Is your computer under any load? If it isn't than that's fine. The system fan headers will control the rate at how fans your fans spin depending on how hot it is in there, (Or just how much your components are under load)

If none of these work, it's a problem with your fan. I'd just buy a new fan. Of course you could get a 3pin/molex connector or a 3pin Y connector, but if there is a problem with your fan, these are useless.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2012 1:34:49 AM

Augray37 said:
nope it shouldn't matter which one it is plugged into. is the sys_fan port a 4 pin? and is the fan a 4 pin? if this is the case, you may just have particularly low case temps.

fan is a 3 pin but i have it connected into the 4 pin sys_fan 3 or 4.
m
l
November 7, 2012 1:36:02 AM

BreadWhistle said:
Well, I have a Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 case, and the 120mm fans on it spin pretty quick, so I believe that it's a problem with either that fan, or the motherboard.

Do any other fans spin that slow? Try plugging that fan into a different sys_fan header, and put a different fan in the one that that is plugged into, if it begis to spin at a normal rate, it may be a problem with your mobo.

Is your computer under any load? If it isn't than that's fine. The system fan headers will control the rate at how fans your fans spin depending on how hot it is in there, (Or just how much your components are under load)

If none of these work, it's a problem with your fan. I'd just buy a new fan. Of course you could get a 3pin/molex connector or a 3pin Y connector, but if there is a problem with your fan, these are useless.

i have 3 other fans and the seem to be at normal speeds. although the case directions were vague as to which 2 fans to plug into the fan controler so im not sure if the side fan is one i should connect to the controller.
m
l
!