Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my GPU throttling? Am I underpowered?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 10, 2012 10:31:02 PM

I haven't posted a question thread in a long time, kind of embarrassing.. After a long day of work I'm pretty tired and feeling slightly lazy so I wanted the communities opinion... Here we go.

I've only been playing Skyrim and Fall Out: New Vegas lately and it looked like the core clock, mem clock, and the GPU usage would fluctuate, but I still had 60FPS all the time and gameplay was smooth so I didn't think much about it. I was just doing some Furmark testing because I want to see how low I can get my voltage with my overclock. Anyway, in Furmark my GPU usage fluctuates between 100% and 64%, and I noticed the core and mem clock were fluctuating too.

1) Is this considered throttling?
2) Do we think that it might be under-powered? I only have a 500w PSU in this rig. The GPU is a HD7870, CPU i5-2500K @ 4.3GHz, 1 HDD, 1 SSD, 5 fans, and an Antec Kuhler 620 pump. Am I underpowered?
3) What else could the problem be?
September 11, 2012 1:51:11 AM

Yes, that's throttling.....it's possible you're underpowered. Can't say for sure without knowing exactly what power supply you're using. Keep in mind that most newer cards are designed to throttle when apps like Furmark are run.
September 11, 2012 1:56:18 AM

Enermax liberty 500w
Related resources
September 11, 2012 2:09:02 AM

Always get Antec, seasonic, or corsair PSU. I think 500 is too low considering you overclocked. Does your MOBO support saving profiles? If so, try saving your profile as-is and then reset overclock to default. Try running benchmark again and see if throttling occurs again.
September 11, 2012 2:13:29 AM

Enermax/LEPA makes high quality PSUs like Seasonic. Antec and Corsair have some high end models but many of their models are manufactured with less quality. They don't manufacture their own units, they are rebrands. The higher end Antec and Corsair models are manufactured by Seasonic for example.
September 12, 2012 1:51:23 AM

SOME Enermax units are high quality....not all though. The OP's particular unit produces 384watts on the 12v rails which, all things considered, is a bit lower than I'd like to see. Personally, I'd be more comfortable with at least a 600watt unit....but that's just me.
September 12, 2012 8:50:19 PM

Run MSI Afterburner and track temps. There's little reason for it to throttle unless it's getting hot. If it's getting too hot, create a fan profile that is louder, but cools the card a little more.

September 12, 2012 8:54:32 PM

The Liberty is an older unit, but it's 80+, which means it was tested at 100% load. I wouldn't push it harder than that (I think JG burned one because it didn't shut down when overloaded, but I've never read a lot of tales of woe on this unit), but otherwise if it weren't decent I could not have sold it to Stickg1 in good conscience.
Remember, I'm the guy who won't buy anything CM (regardless of quality) because the company is dishonest.

Best solution

September 12, 2012 9:02:37 PM

[:russk1] Mess with power control settings in CCC. 0 to +20%...
September 12, 2012 9:45:15 PM

Best answer selected by stickg1.
September 12, 2012 9:46:28 PM

Yeah that works russ! Apparently I cant adjust the voltage and the power limit at the same time! :pfff:  :lol: 

New concern, in my troubleshooting I found that running Furmark with my GPU on stock settings results in my clocks never leaving 2D mode :heink:  . But I can bump both clocks up 10% on the same stock voltage and it works fine :heink:  :heink: 

Well good thing I leave it on a 20% OC (it's stable up to 30% but I find it unnecessary because I max out the 2 games I've been playing with 15%-60% GPU usage)

Oh and for the record, temps with 25% overclock on core/mem and voltage @ 1.250 average 66C in 15 minutes 1080p Furmark Burn-In. Max temp was 70C. Looks good to me [:russk1]

(see what I did there! lol)
September 12, 2012 9:51:07 PM

modern card/drivers can detect abnormal loads like furmark and the driver won't let the card run at full tilt to limit power consumption...
September 12, 2012 10:04:57 PM

Kari said:
modern card/drivers can detect abnormal loads like furmark and the driver won't let the card run at full tilt to limit power consumption...

+1

You beat me to it! Good call. [:russk1:2]
September 12, 2012 10:05:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah that works russ! Apparently I cant adjust the voltage and the power limit at the same time!

That is weird... but AMD's way of stopping you from toasting your card via drivers. I know nVidia and AMD limited the 590/6990 usage in Furmark where they can't go over 50% usage.
!