Working on new build for first time in years. Experts please review

Status
Not open for further replies.

md21985

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Guys, I am planning on building a new rig. This will be the first time I have built one myself in about seven years and I just wanted some opinions on my selection of hardware.

Components:
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W 80 PLUS BRONZE MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H 1155
PROCESSOR: INTEL I5 3570K IVY BRIDGE - 3.4GHZ-3.8GHZ
MEMORY: 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 MEMORY
OPTICAL DRIVE: LITE-ON DVD BURNER
HARD DRIVE: SEAGATE 1TB 7200 RPM 6/GBS

Please note: I am not planning on overclocking this processor until I get an aftermarket cooler for it. Aftermarket cooler will probably be Coolermaster Hyper212 EVO. Also, I am going to run the processor graphics for a couple of months until I can save up an additional $250 for a high-end video card. Planning on NVIDIA GTX 660.

Would anyone suggest getting a SSD as well? If so, what would be a good selection for around $100? Do all of these parts appear to be compatible? Please, if you have any better suggestions for hardware, tell me. Keep in mind I am trying to keep this build right at $1000. My components right now without video card and aftermarket cooler are around $730.

One last question! I saw the i5 3570k processor on microcenter.com for $169.00. Compared to the newegg.com price of $219, this seems too good to be true. Does anyone have any experience with this website? How are they able to offer such a low price on this?

thanks guys,

Solution
I suggest you buy the hyper212 up front. Only $30.
It will be much easier to install it initially.
The Intel pushpins can be tricky to install properly.

The microcenter deal is for walk in customers only. Plus you have a 8.5% sales tax. Still a good deal if you live near one.
They will also discount some motherboards by $50 to go with the cpu.

I like your plan of using integrated graphics initially. You will get a better idea of what you need for graphics.
Integrated will still run slower games like civ-4 nicely.

Your psu is top quality and will run a graphics card as good as a GTX690.

I heartily recommend a SSD. It makes everything you do feel so much quicker.
I suggest you defer the hard drive.
A 120gb ssd will hold the os...

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I don't have an ssd. But from what I here is luxury you don't realize until you have it. I think microcenter has about good deals, but I don't think they deliver very much. Also, get a 7870, you get a free game, a better card, and it's the same price.

BreadWhistle

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Everything seems fine. But if you plan on getting a Hyper 212 EVO, you might as well get it now, as it requires you to take the motherboard off from the case.

For your GPU, since you will wait a few months to buy, I would recommend the Radeon 7850. It performs just under the GTX 660 but you can pick one up for around $175 right now. After the new 8xxx series comes out this winter, it should fall to around $150.

Also, Microcenter is a very reputable brand. They have many stores here in the US. I have no idea why they're CPU's are so cheap, but it's probably because they are only available for in-store pickup.

I suggest you buy the hyper212 up front. Only $30.
It will be much easier to install it initially.
The Intel pushpins can be tricky to install properly.

The microcenter deal is for walk in customers only. Plus you have a 8.5% sales tax. Still a good deal if you live near one.
They will also discount some motherboards by $50 to go with the cpu.

I like your plan of using integrated graphics initially. You will get a better idea of what you need for graphics.
Integrated will still run slower games like civ-4 nicely.

Your psu is top quality and will run a graphics card as good as a GTX690.

I heartily recommend a SSD. It makes everything you do feel so much quicker.
I suggest you defer the hard drive.
A 120gb ssd will hold the os and a handful of games. If you get 180gb or 240gb, you may never need a hard drive at all.
You can always add a hard drive later if you will store large files such as video's.
Samsung 830 and Intel 330 are the tops in reliability, and they are being discounted now.
Sales abound, keep alert.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.