No signal problem when GPU is connected

pies

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hey guys,

I had my HDD die the other day so I had to replace it and reinstall windows (suffice to say I now recognise the value of back ups and install discs). Since doing the replacement and such I've been having problems with my GPU. Basically if I try and connect to the monitor via the GPU (DVI, the blue cable, forget the name or both) window 7 gets to the splash screen with the glowing windows logo then the monitor cuts to no signal. If I connect through the onboard graphics windows boot properly and everything is fine. I've tried using both PCI slots for the actual GPU and both DVI ports for the cable and it's the same result every time. I was going to try it with my old GPU when I get home and see if I get any luck there. Tried clearing CMOS. Tried various combinations of RAM and HDD to no result. The GPU was working fine before the HDD failure so I wouldn't think it would be the card itself but you never know and the PSU is only like a week old. Anything you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Specs are:
ASRock extreme3 gen 3
i5 2500k (at stock)
GTX460SE
Corsair 550w PSU (forget the model name, sorry)
Kingston 1600Mhz RAM (4x 2Gb sticks)

pies

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Monitor still goes no signal regardless of mode. Even if I'm in BIOS in goes out after around 15 seconds. I tried installing the driver without the GPU connected (since I have no monitor otherwise) and it won't install as it doesn't detect a GPU.

pies

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Yep. If I leave everything running after the signal goes the fan runs as if it's under heavy load for probably around 45 seconds then goes back to idle speed.

pies

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Update: I managed to get past windows splash with the GPU connected. It seems to be physically running correctly (fan) but it still cut out. I ended up plugging the VGA cable into the onboard graphics so I can see what I'm doing. The driver config from the nvidia website didn't detect the GPU and the hardware detect option on the nvidia driver website didn't pick it up either. I looked through the devices menu and didn't see anything that would be the GPU.

Any point turning off the onboard graphics in BIOS? I'm about to try the other PCI-E slot and check if that's the problem.

Further update: tried my old GPU. Windows did the configuration deal and is currently rebooting. No signal lost as of yet. Is it safe to conclude my 460 is the culprit if this works?