Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is upgrading from an ATI Radeon HD 5450 worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2012 12:01:46 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or 2, money permitting

BUDGET RANGE: Not real sure, since I don't know pricing on cards. Trying to get an idea of what is out there. Probably around $200, I'm guessing. Would be willing to spend about $300 if it was something massively better than what I have.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly; World of Warcraft w/ Mists of Pandaria coming out next month (and for people that don't know the specs for it, this is Blizzard's page with recommendations: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-... ). Also play some older games, Zoo Tycoon 1&2 and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2&3. Otherwise it's just basic web surfing / schoolwork.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 5450; not sure how to check power supply, but can do it if someone tells me.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have a 3 year old Dell XPS desktop with an Intel i7 CPU 920@ 2.67GHz, 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference, as long as they're reputable.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, again as long as it's a reputable company

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I really don't know a lot about graphics cards or system components, and I don't just want someone to say "buy this", I'd like to learn *WHY* I should buy a specific one, so I can actually start to figure things out on my own. :) 

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 12:09:10 AM

You'd have to open the case to check the PSU wattage. The Dell probably comes with a 300w PSU, so you'd need a PSU upgrade.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 12:27:12 AM

April_Fool_79 said:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or 2, money permitting

BUDGET RANGE: Not real sure, since I don't know pricing on cards. Trying to get an idea of what is out there. Probably around $200, I'm guessing. Would be willing to spend about $300 if it was something massively better than what I have.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly; World of Warcraft w/ Mists of Pandaria coming out next month (and for people that don't know the specs for it, this is Blizzard's page with recommendations: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/minimum-system-... ). Also play some older games, Zoo Tycoon 1&2 and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2&3. Otherwise it's just basic web surfing / schoolwork.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI Radeon HD 5450; not sure how to check power supply, but can do it if someone tells me.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I have a 3 year old Dell XPS desktop with an Intel i7 CPU 920@ 2.67GHz, 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference, as long as they're reputable.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, again as long as it's a reputable company

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I really don't know a lot about graphics cards or system components, and I don't just want someone to say "buy this", I'd like to learn *WHY* I should buy a specific one, so I can actually start to figure things out on my own. :) 

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

HIS AMD Radeon 7850 $209 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Builder series 600 watt PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

TOTAL: $280

And yes this is a HUGE upgrade coming from a radeon 5450!
Related resources
September 11, 2012 2:51:20 AM

Best answer selected by April_Fool_79.
Score
September 11, 2012 2:53:45 AM

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply. I was able to find a website that let me compare the two cards, so I think I know what I'm looking at as far as performance improvement. Second question would be, how difficult is this to do yourself? I've opened up my laptop to replace RAM before, but that's about it. The last time I opened a desktop computer would probably have been the 386x my mom had when I was in high school, about 15 years ago. I can follow directions, especially if they're step-by-step and have pictures.
Score
September 11, 2012 10:13:13 AM

I would recommend not to combine amd gpu to intel cpu.Buy nvidia gpu!!!
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 10:28:34 AM

christofergeo said:
I would recommend not to combine amd gpu to intel cpu.Buy nvidia gpu!!!

Thats the dumbest thing ive heard today. Granted it is still early.
Score
September 11, 2012 2:10:14 PM

vrumor said:
Thats the dumbest thing ive heard today. Granted it is still early.

Yeah, considering I already *HAVE* an AMD graphics card in with an Intel processor ..... Sounds to me like it's an NVIDIA troll fanboy.

Kinda like the Apple fanboy trolls ... "OMG LYEK DON'T BUY ANDROID PHONES, BUY IPHONE, IT HAS THE GEEBEES AND THE WEFEES!!" :pt1cable: 
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 6:54:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!