ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 (non-TOP) vs EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Which graphics card? I have a NZXT Phantom 410 case. I'm really not sure, i dont plan to get a waterblock cooling. I dont wanna wait for the TOP version to get in stock because i have heard theres problems with stability issues with the TOP version. I Have been wondering about the EVGA 670 cause it just looks plain sexy xD

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
The Asus DirectCU cards run a lot quieter and cooler than the EVGA ones. You shouldn't even bother with the EVGA one.

You should consider the Gigabyte Windforce card. It should really be down to the Asus and Gigabyte card for the 670.

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

But the evga has a 680 pcb and cooler+ it looks sexy

abraham_mammogram

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have the 670 FTW, and when I'm playing games, I never ever hear the fan spin up, even when its on full tilt. This is due to the sound of the games themselves. I will hear it for about twenty seconds after I shut an intensive game down, as the gpu cools, which it does, and very quickly. That being said, I have never seen the card exceed 67 C, and it idles around 27 C. The 680 reference cooler does a spectacular job.

Honestly, I never figured out the problem people have with fan noise. Unless you play games completely on mute, you aren't ever going to hear it. If you aren't playing games, and working on photoshop so much that the gpu is spinning up, and it bothers you, just put music on.

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

o alright, what about overclocking?

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I have the Asus TOP. The problems and reviews that you see everywhere are mostly related to people using the included software that came with the Graphics card. It had issues where the card was being boosted beyond its limits. I knew this going in before buying it and never installed anything that came with the cd. Have not had any issues to date.

Yes the Asus runs whisper quiet but I seriously doubt you will be bothered by the FTW gpu if you have case fans running and intend to actually hear the game you are playing.

My only issue is that I am now a fan of blower style coolers now since they do not dump the hot air back into the case like the regular aftermarket 2-3 fan designs. Minor nitpick on my part. Remedied somewhat with nice case ventilation.

In all. FTW is factory overclocked and has EVGA support. Asus has a solid design and has a larger heatsink which helps with overclocking heat dissipation. You seem to be leaning towards the FTW. Go get it. You will not have any regrets.

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

o okay, but have you heard anything good about the non TOP version? Cause im wondering about it, i think im in love with the design of it. But i doubt the TOP version is coming back into stock

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

oh alright, cause im thinking about getting it. They both look sexy, cant pick which one lmaooo. Gotta get more feedback or just flip a coin xD

Gotta go with the card that keeps the GPU cooler... that would be the Asus DirectCU II. The reason is that the Turbo Boost is specifically calibrated to kick in more consistently at higher speeds at lower temps. Hitting 80c is ideal, over that you lose some speed.

clock_vs_temp.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_680/30.html

cloudzeng

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Yah that was what i was worried about with the evga 670