Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Just built a new computer but... need help!

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2012 2:26:12 AM

Hey guys! Just bought all my parts for a new computer. Did an external build and all went well! Now I come to the drive part... How exactly do I connect the Dvd drive? And what do I connect it to? Also, what/how do I connect the hard drive, and to what?
They are SATA drives by the way!

More about : built computer

a b B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2012 2:32:07 AM

You just connect them with the sata power connectors from the power supply and use the sata cables to plug them into the motherboard.
Score
November 7, 2012 3:37:55 AM

I was asking because I was getting an A6 error, but I just removed the video card, and it started to work.

alright i think i got that part sorted out... I just needed a question to be answered, If i have an old monitor that only has a VGA plug, I will have to remove the graphics card to run it right? (Asking because of A6 error every time I have the card in). This wouldn't be a problem if I had a new monitor with the required plug in thing right? I'm just curious cause that's arriving here tomorrow.
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2012 3:48:57 AM

What are your full system specs.
Score
November 7, 2012 1:04:28 PM

Mobo: Asrock z77 extreme4
CPU: i5 3570k
Video Card: hd7970
RAM: G. Skill 8gb

Anything else you need?
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2012 2:18:50 PM

I have the same mobo as you and iirc there were two sata 3 ports and four sata 2 (not counting the asmedia ports). I put my optical drive on the first sata 2 port (sata_2). My ssd is on sata_0 and hdd on sata_1. Anything plugged into the asmedia (sata_ao and sata_a1) will show up as removable media. I hope this helps.
November 7, 2012 4:32:24 PM

Best answer selected by legendaswd.
Score
November 7, 2012 4:32:57 PM

wanderer11 said:
I have the same mobo as you and iirc there were two sata 3 ports and four sata 2 (not counting the asmedia ports). I put my optical drive on the first sata 2 port (sata_2). My ssd is on sata_0 and hdd on sata_1. Anything plugged into the asmedia (sata_ao and sata_a1) will show up as removable media. I hope this helps.

And do you how im supposed to install the video card after I get a monitor that can handle dvi ports? Do I just restart the computer with the card in the pci express slot, and hook the card up to the new monitor? Currently I had to hook up the mobo to the old monitor to install windows.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
November 7, 2012 4:45:52 PM

Just turn off the computer, push the card in, hook up the power connectors and screw in the bracket, start up and install driver. Once the video card is in you have to plug the video cable into it.
Score
November 7, 2012 5:05:15 PM

Alright thanks! Was just confused as to the fact that all it takes to activate the video card is the video cable...
Score
!