Sign in with
Your question

Will this GPU work in this build? (+Help me choose a monitor)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2012 2:39:29 AM

Alright, so theres a Geforce GTX 680 FTW on sale which makes it on par with the price of the average 670 ($500), so I'm thinking of picking it up. The thing is, I haven't yet got all the parts for my new build, so it would be going in my current setup;

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG (will BIOS be involved when putting it in?)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
RAM: 1024MB
Dirext x: 9.0c

I know it's going to be bottlenecked like crazy, however I'm not sure if I should keep it in when installed. I will be putting it in just to test it, but do you think it would do more harm than good? Is it possible that it would break or destroy my other parts? I'm also going to be upgrading the PSU before I put it in, which is going to be a modular 1000watt gold certified OCZ.

I'm also contemplating between the best gaming monitors on the market;
BenQ XL2420T and the BenQ XL2420TX. I've done small amount of research comparing the two and from what I can tell, the only difference between the two is that the X has a built in sensor (that apparently has frequent problems) and comes with NVIDEA 3D vision 2 glasses. It also comes with an 1.4 HDMI slot for connecting devices such as a PS3 or Xbox 360 for 3D use (what other devices use 1.4?). Which is fine with me without that because I don't do xbox gaming anymore, or I don't think I would be using any other devices. What could you connect with a 1.2 HDMI though?

Also, what is an "IPS" monitor, are these monitors that focus on rich color rather that "performance" for gaming?

There is a new monitor coming out called the FORIS FS2333 that I heard about. Here are the specs; http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fs2333/index....

I'm not sure how much it would be or if it would suit my gaming needs. My build is going to be primarily gaming, however I'm going to be doing some editing and such here and there. I'm just having a overally really tough time choosing between these three monitors.
a b U Graphics card
September 12, 2012 2:07:57 AM

670's are usually $400. But it would probably work, it might not be able to operate on full. Is the PCIe slot x1 or x2? if it is x1 it will be slower than usual. If you are getting the system soon you might want to consider waiting as the 680 might drop in price when you by the time you buy the rest. I think that is a good monitor but I don't know monitor stats all that well.
September 12, 2012 4:46:22 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
670's are usually $400. But it would probably work, it might not be able to operate on full. Is the PCIe slot x1 or x2? if it is x1 it will be slower than usual. If you are getting the system soon you might want to consider waiting as the 680 might drop in price when you by the time you buy the rest. I think that is a good monitor but I don't know monitor stats all that well.

Really low end 670's are $400 but the higher end ones are around $480+. I'm going to have most of the system by the end of this month, and $90 price drop from a 680 is a lot so I'm going to go for it.

Not entirely sure if it is or not. Looking inside my case I see it's a "NF4 Lanparty". I notice the little silver fan thing on the mobo isn't spinning and has collected tons of dust, along with the whole thing. Should I use an air compressor on it before putting my new GTX 680 in it?
Related resources
September 12, 2012 4:54:12 AM

Urgh I looked at the reviews for this thing on newegg;

"the heat from my two 7800 gtx's BURNED the chipset fan. Take a look at where the chipset is located, and if you have a extended graphics card (most high end cards do) then DO NOT BUY THIS BOARD. If you have a short Video card, then go for it its great, but I am just going to buy a new board for my setup."

"here is only ONE issue with this board. IF U HAVE A BIG VIDEO CARD AVOID THIS MOTHERBOARD! My X1950XTX card blocks out the onboard fan in the PCI Express slot 1. I had to keep it a bit loose for the fan to spin. It may increase temp in pc."

The chipset fan (I'm assumikng is the silver thing) isn't even running, should I just remove it or not worry about it?

Here is the newegg page; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ah, it's so funny to see people from 7 years ago posting their inferior specs, how far technology has come....
September 12, 2012 8:11:15 AM

No but there is no point as your whole system is terrible, go to system new build threads and put this there.
September 12, 2012 8:26:02 AM

spat55 said:
No but there is no point as your whole system is terrible, go to system new build threads and put this there.

What are you saying "no" to? And yeah I already did and I figured out what my new build is going to include, I'm going to be getting my new PSU and GPU and installing it in this piece of crap and then by the end of the month I'll have enough to buy my mobo ram windows 7 etc.
!