Sign in with
Your question

[AMD Radeon]Trouble shooting

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2012 2:43:48 AM

I just built my first computer (build bellow) and booted up windows XP, but for some reason even though I installed the driver I can't seem to get it to give me video through the installed graphics card, its just a black screen, so I would really like some help in fixing my problem so I may continue on my merry way, thanks in advance.

CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2.7GHz Dual-Core

Motherboard: MSI H67A-G43 (B3) ATX LGA1155

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB

Case: Antec Two Hundred(v2) ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply: XFX 450W ATX12V / EPS12v

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
September 11, 2012 5:53:20 AM

Go into your BIOS and disable the integrated graphics, ensure the primary display adapter is set to the PCI Express card.

Did you install the Intel integrated graphics driver before you installed the AMD drivers? Windows XP does not support running two different graphics drivers simultaneously. If you put in the Intel drivers first off the Motherboard CD, then XP might be defaulting to the integrated graphics. Uninstall the Intel graphics drivers if you did install them.

I would recommend moving up to Windows 7 64 bit. You won't be able to use all 8GB of your RAM with XP, unless you have the 64 bit version of XP, which isn't well supported by software developers and hardware manufacturers. Windows XP 32 bit only supports up to 4GB of RAM. A lot of newer hardware also doesn't have great driver support for XP. Windows XP is at the end of its life, with Microsoft pulling the plug on support next year. Some game developers have started to pull support for XP recently, so you won't be able to play some of the latest titles if you stay on XP.
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:40:50 AM

^ Agreed on that, Windows 7 is a much better OS and has very good hardware compatibility and support.

Easiest way to fix this on XP would be to uninstall all drivers, then remove your GPU from the Device Manager list, reboot, and let Windows detect it again. Then install the correct driver.
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 8:02:15 AM

Quote:
Windows XP does support running two different graphics drivers simultaneously.

Fixed. Only vista doesn't do this.

OP, you have the 6pin cable plugged into the GPU? iGPU turned off in bios? It should work.
m
l
September 11, 2012 11:49:51 PM

Can you walk me through how to disable the on board psu once in EFI?
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:22:52 AM

Haven't played around with the newer UEFIs so I'm not sure where it is. On older BIOSes the display adapter options were usually found in the chipset options. Look for something called display adapter or something to that effect and make sure it is set to PCI-E and not IGP.
m
l
September 12, 2012 3:02:44 AM

Or RTFM.
m
l
!