Hiding Extra Drives?

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hello, all :)

Ok, I just got a new Windows 7 Computer (yea! :D). When I open up My Computer, it shows 4 "Removable Drives" (Which, I assume, are from my flash card reader, though there are no cards in them). They are hidden drives, but I set it so that it will show hidden files and folders.... I don't like all the clutter of the extra unneeded drives, so is there a way to hide individual drives?

Thanks in advance! :D

Solution
As mentioned by Hollet, you could remove the drive letter those drives. To do so, run diskmgmt.msc. Once opened, right click on the removable drive you don't need, and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Remove the drive letter, and it is now gone from your My Computer.

Just remember to add a drive letter back when you need to use that removable drive :)

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
This option would be found in Folder Options. You can access it via Control Panel or once you have windows explorer open, press ALT to bring up the Menu Bar and select Tools then Options.

Once you have the Folder Options open, click on the view tab, Look for "Hide Empty Drives in Computer Folder" in the advance settings. Check it to hide your empty removable drives.

Hope that helps.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply :)

It was already checked, so the folders are hidden... its just that I like having hidden files and folders visible, I would just like these to be hidden, but not the rest. Is there any way to do this?

TechSavvy

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
As mentioned by Hollet, you could remove the drive letter those drives. To do so, run diskmgmt.msc. Once opened, right click on the removable drive you don't need, and select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Remove the drive letter, and it is now gone from your My Computer.

Just remember to add a drive letter back when you need to use that removable drive :)

Solution

Let me make certain that I understand this, you want your folder settings so that it shows everything, but then you don't like all the clutter it creates?
Or more specifically, you don't like the clutter from just the 4 extra drives?
Are you on drugs?

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009

Sweet! That did it, thanks! :D

I don't like the clutter from JUST the 4 drives, the rest I'm cool with. And no, I am not ;)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Problem solved :D

bearuk

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
I have to say, I think jitpublisher is a total ASSHOLE!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to do the same thing as electrogoofy, and it REALLY pisses me off when people make smartass remarks.

I too am perfectly ok with seeing hidden files and folders. but I have no interest in seeing drive letters that relate to xd cards and whatever MS/Pro/duo card slots are. But that is Microsoft for you. You can see hidden files AND folders AND drives, or not. They don't give you the option to choose. Thanks for the workaround. And if you don't have an answer to the question, try shutting the fuck up.

What an impressive use of filth and gutter mouth, I am so impressed that I am certain to heed your advice in the future, (or years past as may be the case)