Sign in with
Your question

Asus GTX 660 Ti OC Monitor Probs & New Bios Lower Boost Clock?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2012 5:00:43 AM

I just bought the Asus GTX 660 Ti OC last week and so far I have been really happy with it. It has brought new life back to an aging machine. A little bit of overkill and some bottlenecking but nothing too noticeable as I am going to slowly upgrade everything in the next three months. So everything with my new shiny new GPU has been great except for mobo bios not showing up at boot with my main (24 in) monitor and instead boots straight to Windows but working normally with my smaller (19 in) monitor and it goes through the normal boot up and gives me a chance to enter my bios. Another problem is sometimes when I restart or boot up after shutting down nothing shows up on my 24 inch monitor unless I hook it up to my 19 inch first then it boots up just fine and I can switch it back to the 24 and everythings fine, kind of annoying. They are both Optiquest VGA Flat Panels one is Q241wb and the other is Q19wb. Obviously I am using adapters on both of them. The 19 in is actually read by the GPU as Q19wb 1400 x 900 monitor when I am in the screen resolution window but the Q241wb shows up as a Non PnP Monitor but still reads the resolution right and renders everything just fine. I got both Monitor drivers from the Manufacturer website (Optiquest).

Another problem I have is that when I first bought it and hooked it up and everything all my specs were exactly as advertised: 967 Mhz base clock 1058 Mhz boost. Recently I learned they released a new bios that supposedly optomizes everything and boosts everything and gives a higher OC ceiling but after I flashed the new bios my boost clock went down to 1046 and I don't remember where my GPU clock memory frequency but I think that went down too. I remember it being at 1600 and now its at 1502. So i am just wondering if anyone has had this problem too. If the new bios is supposed to boost everything than I am not seeing it. I have the most recent Nvidia drivers as well. Its not that big of a difference obviously, its only off by 12 Mhz but it just bugs me that they can say the new bios is supposed to increase boost frequency when in reality it has dropped values a bit. I read the remarks on the new bios on the Asus website and it says that it "optimizes performance" which I guess does not necessarily mean a boost but there are numerous articles out there stating that this new bios would increase boost frequency but in my case it has dropped my boost frequency, not by much but definitely not increased it.

So in the end I am just wondering if anyone had similar experiences or if anyone has any ideas or if I should just go and return it and get the EVGA Super-clocked instead. Kind of starting to lean towards the EVGA since I have already had problems with Asus Customer Service and I am thinking its easier to get a hold of an identical EVGA 660 SC @ Fry's in about 6 months when I go SLI, let me know what you think, thanks!

My Tower:

ECS A770m-a
AMD Phenom 8650 x3 2.3 GHz
Corsair XMS-2 4x1GB
Asus GTX 660 Ti OC
Antec 25 650 EarthWatts Green Cert 80 Plus Bronze

Yes it is a very dated system except for that shiny new GPU, like I said I am in the middle of slowly upgrading everything.
December 2, 2012 2:26:57 AM

After upgrading my Asus GTX 660 Ti OC to the newer BIOS, my multimonitor setup is screwed.

I have 2 oldish 23inch Samsung's connected to the DVI ports and a Samsung S27A950 connected to the DisplayPort. With the old BIOS, it would boot into Windows fine, all monitors active.... after the BIOS upgrade, my DisplayPort monitor, which is my main one, doesn't turn on until I log into Windows and re-enable it after each boot... extremely annoying. Can't access the PC BIOS or boot screens on this monitor anymore.

If I unplug one of the DVI monitors, the remaining DVI and the DisplayPort monitors work in dual monitor mode as expected, but with three going, this BIOS update has ruined it. Spent a couple of hours trying to fix this, with no luck. Since it's screwed up the monitor working in the PC BIOS too, I'm convinced it's a result of the video BIOS upgrade.

I'd love to flash the old firmware back on, even if it means losing the performance improvement, but can't seem to find a copy on the web and can't locate where it autobacked up it to on my HDD. Does anyone have a copy?
m
l
!