Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Catalyst
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2012 5:22:31 AM

Hello,

I recently bought a new motherboard which is the Asus M5A88-M. The inboard graphics is HD Radeon 4250. I had to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 because the setup disc wasn't working. So once I finished, I installed the VGA driver from the Asus website which was (ATI Catalyst). Once I restarted my computer, it wouldn't load after the Windows 7 startup screen. So I booted it Ito Safe Mode and it was hanging at atipcie.sys. I looked into it and found that it had to do with the ATI Catalyst driver. So I went to uninstall it, and it said "Cannot load driver detection" and then just stopped. I then went to the AMD website to get the latest version, and still displayed that error when installing it.

Things I've tried:
- Uninstalling it (Driver detection error).
- Chkdsk (No problems found).
- Scannow (No problems found).
- Installing Windows C++ Redistributble 2008 (Same error as #1).

I am not using a graphics card at the moment, just the onboard. It was working fine until I installed the video driver from the Asus site. Also, I do not get any BSODs, just a blue windows background after the Windows 7 loading screen.

The OS I'm using is Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.

So can someone please help?

Thanks!

More about : ati catalyst

September 11, 2012 5:31:40 AM

Try using VGA mode (low resolution mode in win7) to uninstall the catalyst....

If it fail to uninstall try to overwrite it by installing the new catalyst driver (still in VGA mode)

edit: don't forget to install AMD chipset driver first (for motherboard to function properly), before VGA/USB/AHCI/etc driver.......
m
l
September 11, 2012 5:36:26 AM

worst case scenario can you just reformat and reinstall windows? (hope you haven't activated it yet).......can you uninstall the old drivers successfully? or does that give you an error too? you can try running a program called driver fusion (its free google it) and that could help you remove the old drivers and hopefully allow the new ones to install cleanly....the new ones you got were direct from amd's website right?
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 7:53:03 PM

Thanks for the help. Luckily I didn't have to reformat my computer, again. I was able to do a Last Known Good Configuration and now I'm going to install the one Russ gave me.
m
l
!