XFX 7870 not compatible with World of Warcraft?

rdm3

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I have the XFX Double-D 7870 and it works great in Benchmarks (7500 on 3DMark11) and in some games like Witcher 2. HOWEVER, this card hates World of Warcraft. At stock settings I'm getting about 40 fps consistently on ultra settings. If I lower the settings it gets better, but I bought this card to perform at ultra settings on most games, which it does for the most part.

Some people say that the 7xxx series (and AMD cards in general) have problems with WoW, but I haven't seen any hard proof, just people bitching (like me lol). Is there any type of fix for this? The card can be overclocked in other applications, but any attempt to OC it and run WoW result in freezing/shutdown etc.

If anyone knows anything about this problem and a possible fix, or at the very least acknowledgement that this is a real issue and it's not just me, I'd be very appreciative. Thank you.

Solution
There is a new setting in WoW witch kills my GPU aswell, its called SSAO and was introduced with the latest patch. With SSAO enabled on High i can get 30FPS in OG (gtx 460 1GB/256bit). So i play with SSAO on low and its decent.. everything else on ultra like it was before (1080p)

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
There is a new setting in WoW witch kills my GPU aswell, its called SSAO and was introduced with the latest patch. With SSAO enabled on High i can get 30FPS in OG (gtx 460 1GB/256bit). So i play with SSAO on low and its decent.. everything else on ultra like it was before (1080p)

Solution