Low FPS in many games, good PC

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-fps-in-games-with-low-gpu-cpu-usage.183786/

This thread details basically every problem I have though I am not the author.

Specs

http://i.imgur.com/XhAvk.png

And an XFX 6970

To summarize, I basically get sustained low fps(20-30) in intense situations such as teamfights in HoN/LoL/Smite or big fights in SC2 but the GPU/CPU usage hangs around 20-30%, so when they should be throttling up, they choose not to, and instead I have to look at a choppy FPS instead of my hardware doing what it should. This is all with Vsync on, as games look quite choppy without it among the other annoying caveats of Vsync-less gaming.

Please help, I'm desperate!

On a seperate, sort of unrelated note, my display drivers crash if I change from the default clock on my GPU, even if I change it 1mhz up or down.

Here is a pic of the FPS spikes I am referring to(in game, Smite)

http://i.imgur.com/OHUEx.png

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
You're first link is broken in my browser.

You're looking at several potential issues. You should reinstall the latest amd catalyst driver and try using MSI Afterburner for gpu tweaking.
You should also look into the temperatures on your components, if you are overheating the pc could be throttling itself instead of shutting off.
It would be very helpful to know the power supply manufacturer/model number as well, if your components aren't receiving enough power you could be throttling yourself.

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

Link fixed. I have tried that and I use Afterburner. My temperatures are well within normal ranges, and my power supply is an OCZ 700w. Well enough for my setup.

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Have you tried (as goebbels did) reinstalling the OS and all relevant motherboard, chipset, and graphics drivers? This often fixes such issues. If this does not fix the situation it is certainly possible that any of your components could be causing the issue. For instance, many games only use certain features of DirectX, so the ones that don't use features broken on your card will still run.
I would personally guess your graphics card is the issue.

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Well, the OS as well as all drivers are a fresh install, it's a brand new PC. But it seems unlikely that a defect would cause the GPU to not throttle up as much as it should as opposed to dieing altogether. Another thought of mine was, maybe I am just very picky and the games just have poor optimization, so I see spikes because things are happening before the game has a chance to tell the GPU to render more.

I don't really know what I am trying to communicate here, besides that it could just be something everyone experiences and I just notice it.

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

Well, what do you think? Is the FPS shown in the screenshots just normal for any game or should it literally be 59/60 100% of the time?

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Update: I have done some monitoring of my resources while playing Smite(MOBA) and the highest usage my CPU got to was 50% and my GPU saw a max of 60%, but my FPS was hanging around 30-40 in larger fights.

Just trying to determine if this is normal or if it may be indicating a problem with my GPU/PSU and also what I could tweak to fix it.

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
SMITE, being a very cutting-edge game and focused on large online battle scenarios, seems to me something that would tax a system's cpu to around 50-60 percent while hitting the GPU hard.
Being an online game it could certainly be due to internet lag, also the game is in beta so it's sure to have issues.
You should test with something more proven and not internet-dependent like Unigine Heaven. This will give us a better understanding of your system's capability as opposed to the effects of one game.

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

Thanks for the reply. The scenario I gave is literally identical for every game. Take League of Legends; my hardware functions as normal, until there is a large fight and my frames will dip to 40ish. In a GPU stress test like Heavendx11 or similar, my hardware acts as expected. Also, certain games, like Eve Online, utilize my GPU to its fullest when the situation arises, which leads me to believe it's a coding issue with games and I am just being picky.

As for what you said about Smite, it doesn't hit the GPU as hard as expected, and the CPU like I said, maxed around 50%.

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

I don't see how it could have anything to do with my internet connection, and I recently switched providers and nothing changed.

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
What I'm saying is that you've correctly identified a link between games that are connected to the internet heavily having weird performance and benchmark tests not. It would be nice to see stress tests on the system coming from other benchmark suites (Specifically Unigine Heaven) and possibly other intensive games like starcraft 2, Civ 5, and Dirt 3 which don't necessarily rely on the internet connection.
If these non-online games hit the gpu OR the cpu at 100%, then you probably have no hardware issues. This would indicate the online games need a better bandwidth from the ISP. If the offline games don't fully tax the cpu or gpu then you should be worried about malfunctioning hardware.

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
If it was in the first slot and you moved it to the second slot that would mean a defect on the motherboard. If it was in the second or third slot and you moved it to the first slot you could have been bandwidth limiting the card. Some motherboards limit the secondary or tertiary slots to x8/x4 speeds, which shouldn't affect anything, but certainly can.

Spose you didnt try another PSU. Thermaltake from what ive read has put some highly polished pieces of crap out masquerading as PSUs. You should be able to max out any of the games you listed at max resolution wth your setup. So until you try another PSU, who knows. Can always buy one at a brick and mortar store, Best Buys are everywhere, and return it if it isnt the problem. XFX, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic are all quality brands. TT isnt.

auralz

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012

Thank you for the idea, I might have to head to Best Buy. My PSU is an OCZ, not a thermaltake.