Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6260 Don't do it !

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
Share
November 27, 2004 4:17:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Just want to chip in my two pen'neth.

the 6260 is how NOT to do a phone.

Its not big really (its as long as a 7250i) but because they've made it
wider the first thing you think is, oh dear thats big isn't it. Then you
open it and spend ten minutes trying to turn it on, what is it with nokia
and off switches ? Then when you turn it on thinking, this is gonna be
great with this big screen, let me tell you, the "wallpaper" display is the
same size as a 7250 (give or take a few millimetres) the rest is just this
HUUGE border, a clock ( ? ) and all your battery signal displays, plus
somthing called "presence" ??.

The buttons on the keypad are ok but the menu navigation butons are tiny and
i would imagine a lot of people are going to be accidentally pressing wrong
buttons. PLUS because all the navigation buttons are on the top half of the
clamshell you end up with cramp in your hand.

Then there's the fact that the software sent WITH THE PHONE doesn't work on
your PC, ok thats not strictly true. It works but it doesn't recognise the
phone, Incidentally i've been in touch with nokia about this and have been
met with....SILENCE.

The camera is a joke, low quality. Its a digital zoom that is not analogue,
ie its either actual size or x2 zoom, no inbetween. nokia have messed with
the time honored nokia operating system so its quite difficult to navigate.
I couldn't move an MMS'd picture into the Gallery, or an MMS'd midi file
into the gallery to set as a ringtone.

There was other things wrong but a lot of personal things, I buy Nokia's
because i like to customize my phone, if you do..then don't get this phone.
You'll end up throwing it at the wall.

Thanks for listening

Charlie

p.s. I've sent the phone back.

(i'm calm now after that rant)

More about : 6260

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 9:42:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"Charlie" <mr.charliecroker@btinternet.com> wrote in
news:co9uq6$4vm$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Just want to chip in my two pen'neth.
>
> the 6260 is how NOT to do a phone.
> >
> Then there's the fact that the software sent WITH THE PHONE doesn't
> work on your PC, ok thats not strictly true. It works but it doesn't
> recognise the phone, Incidentally i've been in touch with nokia about
> this and have been met with....SILENCE.
>

Really? That's unusual for them. :-/


--
sA
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 4:47:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:17:57 +0000, Charlie wrote:


> The camera is a joke, low quality.

Good enough for picture messages(MMS) though, innit ?

> Its a digital zoom that is not analogue,

Of course not, AFAIK no mobile-phone has an analogue *optical* zoom lens.

> ie its either actual size or x2 zoom, no inbetween.

Yup.

You want good high-quality pictures ? Then get yourself a proper *real*
digital camera, e.g. Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, Fuji, Kodak, etc.


--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Related resources
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:31:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Charlie's quite right. The CDs that came with the first batch of phones
distributed worldwide has PC Suite 6.2 whereas it is version 6.4 needed
for proper PC-Cell hookup. A matter simply overlooked by Nokia?

Also, what is with these presence, positioning and PTT features?
Unless nokia comes up with a worldwide service satellite, I don't think
global service providers can render these services.

I tried installing purchased Symbian Installers (which worked on my
6600) and all it did was mess up my phone big time (that I had to reset
it).

And like charlie, I got rid of my phone too.


--
jegalz
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
December 8, 2004 5:02:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"jegalz" <jegalz.1gwjzm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
news:jegalz.1gwjzm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
>
> Charlie's quite right. The CDs that came with the first batch of phones
> distributed worldwide has PC Suite 6.2 whereas it is version 6.4 needed
> for proper PC-Cell hookup. A matter simply overlooked by Nokia?
>
> Also, what is with these presence, positioning and PTT features?
> Unless nokia comes up with a worldwide service satellite, I don't think
> global service providers can render these services.
>
> I tried installing purchased Symbian Installers (which worked on my
> 6600) and all it did was mess up my phone big time (that I had to reset
> it).
>
> And like charlie, I got rid of my phone too.
>
>
> --
> jegalz
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
>

i third sending mine back... really poor build quality.
had it for abuot 7 days and its been nothing but a pain in the ass...
also is the key on the left bottom of the nav square actually used for
anything usefull?!? i couldnt find a good use for it other then to bring up
a symbol/number menue when writing txts

Raj
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

"me" <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEMEPLZ.com> wrote in message
news:ePGdnbLpd8vllCrcRVnytA@eclipse.net.uk...
>
> "jegalz" <jegalz.1gwjzm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:jegalz.1gwjzm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
> >
> > Charlie's quite right. The CDs that came with the first batch of phones
> > distributed worldwide has PC Suite 6.2 whereas it is version 6.4 needed
> > for proper PC-Cell hookup. A matter simply overlooked by Nokia?
> >
> > Also, what is with these presence, positioning and PTT features?
> > Unless nokia comes up with a worldwide service satellite, I don't think
> > global service providers can render these services.
> >
> > I tried installing purchased Symbian Installers (which worked on my
> > 6600) and all it did was mess up my phone big time (that I had to reset
> > it).
> >
> > And like charlie, I got rid of my phone too.
> >
> >
> > --
> > jegalz
> > brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
> >
>
> i third sending mine back... really poor build quality.
> had it for abuot 7 days and its been nothing but a pain in the ass...
> also is the key on the left bottom of the nav square actually used for
> anything usefull?!? i couldnt find a good use for it other then to bring
up
> a symbol/number menue when writing txts
>
> Raj
>
>
>
It's for copying and pasting text afaik.
--
Neil
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:17:57 -0000, "Charlie"
<mr.charliecroker@btinternet.com> wrote some stuff about "6260 Don't do it !",
to which I would like to add the following:


>the 6260 is how NOT to do a phone.

Sorry, but you're completely uninformed about Series 60 / Symbian phone OS.
Most of the things you mention are incorrect observations, but as you've
returned the phone, I won't waste your time or mine pointing them out.

Do yourself a favour and go get a 'fashion-phone', Samsung makes loads.

The only think I'll admit to is that the Nancy-swivel design makes people like
you think that 6260 is a fashion phone. Sorry. I guess ignorance really is
bliss!

Cheers,
Chanchao
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:04:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Chanchao a écrit :
> Sorry, but you're completely uninformed about Series 60 / Symbian phone OS.
> Most of the things you mention are incorrect observations, but as you've
> returned the phone, I won't waste your time or mine pointing them out.

Hello,
so what about telling people who hasn't returned it ?

Wingi
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:22:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:07:49 +0100, Wingi <frites@ibelgique.com> wrote some
stuff about "Re: 6260 Don't do it !", to which I would like to add the
following:

>> Sorry, but you're completely uninformed about Series 60 / Symbian phone OS.
>> Most of the things you mention are incorrect observations, but as you've
>> returned the phone, I won't waste your time or mine pointing them out.

> so what about telling people who hasn't returned it ?

I didn't see that coming.. :)  As a general opinion on the thing, I'd tell
them what I wrote in another post "My 6260 Review". :) 

As a response to the 'issues' put forward by the original poster:

> Its not big really (its as long as a 7250i) but because they've made it
> wider the first thing you think is, oh dear thats big isn't it.

This wasn't apparent in the store before you bought it, especially when placed
next to hordes of Samsungs? Yes it's big. ==> If size is your main
requirement, don't get any Nokia Series 60 phone.

> Then when you turn it on thinking, this is gonna be great with this
> big screen, let me tell you, the "wallpaper" display is the
> same size as a 7250 (give or take a few millimetres) the rest is
> just this HUUGE border, a clock ( ? ) and all your battery signal
> displays, plus somthing called "presence" ??.

This is really quite rich.. I wonder if the dude noticed that all
applications use the full screen. As in, real productivity apps that benefit
hugely from as big a screen as possible, such as e-mail, Web browsing, writing
texts, games. And Mister is wining about the size of the wallpaper? Really.

> The buttons on the keypad are ok but the menu navigation butons are
> tiny and i would imagine a lot of people are going to be accidentally
> pressing wrong buttons.

Yes, I agree with this one. Especially the placing of the edit/pencil button
is nothing short of puzzling up to the point where you wonder if the person
who designed it actually uses Series 60's phones in ernest.

> Then there's the fact that the software sent WITH THE PHONE doesn't work on
> your PC, ok thats not strictly true. It works but it doesn't recognise the
> phone,

It worked for me. Note that on older Series 60's phones, getting Bluetooth
and the Nokia Serial-port-over-bluetooth to work and then the PC Suite to
connect to it using a bunch of manually configurable com-ports was a lot
trickier to configure. This time around, it all just worked without
configuraing anything. (I already own a generic Bluetooth dongle used with
native Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth support).

> The camera is a joke, low quality. Its a digital zoom that is not
> analogue,

The alternative to digital zoom is 'optical', not 'analogue', but really ALL
phone cameras are low quality. Note that 6260 costs significantly less than
other recent Series 60 releases. If taking pictures is a requirement then get
a 76.. No, scratch that: Get a digital camera.

> nokia have messed with the time honored nokia operating system so its
> quite difficult to navigate.

LOL... This really shows the guy is completely uninformed about Series 60 and
Symbian... He really just bought it "cuz it looked kinda cool". Cheers dude.

Cheers,
Chanchao
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 3:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Chanchao wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:07:49 +0100, Wingi <frites@ibelgique.com>
wrote some
> stuff about "Re: 6260 Don't do it !":

> It worked for me. Note that on older Series 60's phones, getting
Bluetooth
> and the Nokia Serial-port-over-bluetooth to work and then the PC
Suite to
> connect to it using a bunch of manually configurable com-ports was a
lot
> trickier to configure. This time around, it all just worked without
> configuraing anything. (I already own a generic Bluetooth dongle used
with
> native Windows XP SP2 Bluetooth support).

I have the same problem getting the Serial-port-over-bluetooth to work
on a Win2K with XTNDConnect Blue Manager 3.1b (and 3.1c). Nokia PC
Suite version is 6.4. Could you please describe (or provive a link to
a description) the config process? BT is working fine by the way on my
PC. I can receive files from my 6260 or connect to a BT headset. But I
can't make the damn PC Suite see my phone :/ 

TIA,
Kostas
!