Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD 7870 running at x8?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 11, 2012 11:00:48 AM

Hey guys,
I recently upgraded to my MSI HD 7870. When I open GPU-Z it reports that my GPU is running at PCI-E @ x8. Why would it be doing this? Even when I run a stress test it stays at x8 though it does move from v 1.1 to v3.0. Could it be a fault with my MOBO or some setting I must change? (PC specs at bottom of post)

More about : 7870 running

a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 12:58:28 PM

if your motherboard is the one on your signature, ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard;

this is what this mobo gives you:
2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8) *3

so are you using any other PCI-E device on the other PCI-e lane? if yes that explains why it is running at x8

if you are using an Ivy Bridge CPU (3rd gen) than it will probably be working in 3.0 if you are using Intel i5-3550 it should be ok.

be aware that softwares like Gpu-z can bring wrong values for new GPUS like the GF600 series and HD7000 series, so try downloading other certified softwares.

and finally:
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_...

you can see that you will only get a significant performance loss if you are running at pci 1.1 4x. and 8x.

try using some monitoring softwares that came with the Mobo.

and make sure you have upgraded all your GPU drivers.

EDIT:
also check here same problem you are seeing,
http://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/asus-radeon-h...

it is just a GPU-z problem, check the ? button on GPU-Z
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 1:15:02 PM

bigbasedrum said:
Hey guys,
I recently upgraded to my MSI HD 7870. When I open GPU-Z it reports that my GPU is running at PCI-E @ x8. Why would it be doing this? Even when I run a stress test it stays at x8 though it does move from v 1.1 to v3.0. Could it be a fault with my MOBO or some setting I must change? (PC specs at bottom of post)


At idle GPUz will show a slower speed. Mine shows PCIe 1.1 with a 7870. Click the render button next to it and it should then show the correct speed and clock rate. I'm guessing your current clock rate is around 300 Mhz like mine at idle.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 2:02:19 PM

You're correct about the slowing down at idle. I did click the render button and then it goes to PCI-e x8 v 3.0. I even ran MSI Kombustor and it stayed the same. I also checked with HWInfo it reports the same. Also the option for OpenCL support isn't ticked? I thought the 7800 series supports OpenCL? BTW this is a new card so I can return it if its faulty. I did poke around the BIOS but I couldn't find anything wrong.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 3:51:24 PM

bigbasedrum said:
You're correct about the slowing down at idle. I did click the render button and then it goes to PCI-e x8 v 3.0. I even ran MSI Kombustor and it stayed the same. I also checked with HWInfo it reports the same. Also the option for OpenCL support isn't ticked? I thought the 7800 series supports OpenCL? BTW this is a new card so I can return it if its faulty. I did poke around the BIOS but I couldn't find anything wrong.

Two things are ticked for me. I believe it was OpenCL and directX. Do you have anything else in your PCI slots? Did you put it in the topmost PCIe 3.0 slot? All the power connectors attached? If all of those check out it would be interesting to see another gpu in your mobo to see what it says.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 4:47:25 PM

Well for me it only ticks direct compute (Don't think that's the same as directx btw) I don't have anything else as far as I know. And yes and yes. I have an old hd 4770 lying around if that'll work?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2012 4:53:33 PM

bigbasedrum said:
Well for me it only ticks direct compute (Don't think that's the same as directx btw) I don't have anything else as far as I know. And yes and yes. I have an old hd 4770 lying around if that'll work?

It was probably direct compute. Whatever is on the far right I can't remember off the top of my head. I was thinking a new 3.0 card. Open CL not being ticked makes it seem like something is wrong with the card. Have you tried to reseat it and install the newest drivers? That is really all I can think of. Hopefully someone else has an idea. Good luck!
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 4:55:17 PM

I was also thinking reseat....I'll quickly pluck it out and check
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 7:14:45 PM

Okay so update time. I reseated it, same thing. Exchanged it for my old HD 4770, same thing. Put the 4770 in the second slot then it ran at x4 :o . Then I started suspecting that something was stealing my PCI-e lanes! Turned to the manual AH HA it looks like my DVD drive was stealing lanes via a SATA connection. Plugged it in another SATA port and my OpenCL appeared! :)  But it was still running at x8. So then I suspected my USB ports. Plugged them out, but its still running at x8. I'm not that bothered now however, because I know its not a fault with my card or my MOBO. Though if anyone has ideas I'm willing to try!
m
0
l
October 2, 2012 11:52:11 PM

Hio bigb :) 

If the card is secure and level, then there might be some damage somewhere on the mobo or gpu pcb. There should be 16 pairs of pcie diodes somewhere near the pcie slot and another set lined right above the gpu's 'teeth'.

My GTX 460se also reads at 8x and thats b/c one pair got sheared off the gpu. Its 100% stable. xD



Btw, I just picked up this new R7870 Twin Frozr III.. and I LUV it ! :bounce: 

pEACe
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 11:36:28 AM

I did check for the diodes. It appears that they all there. I will be taking the motherboard to a repair shop soon just to check things.
m
0
l
!