Feb 16, 2011
Just built a new system:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3330 3.00GHz S1155 6MB
MEM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v 240pin
MB: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX USB 3.0
HD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive
GFX: Zotac GeForce GTX 460 1GB
PSU: OCZ Technology ZS Series 650W 80+ Bronze Power Supply
DVD: Samsung 18x DVD-ROM SATA OEM (Black)
Mouse PS/2 Mouse, USB Keyboard

The problem is on power up the BIOS splash screen is displayed but then the computer immediately hangs. It's not possible even to enter the BIOS menu, boot menu or anything. The computer powers itself down then powers up again but only gets as far as the BIOS splash screen again before powering down. The speaker beeps once, indicating that there are no immediate hardware problems, but I should be able to enter the BIOS menu.

Found that by resetting CMOS by removing the battery for 1 minute (as instructed in the manual) that on bootup there is a POST CRC error but then it does boot up properly with Last Known Good config. I managed to install XP Pro and the MB drivers, but then during installation of SP3 it crashed again to blue screen. Then it took up to 1 hour of resetting CMOS and disassembling and re-assembling before I got it to boot with another POST CRC error.

I've tried swapping the memory cards, using only a single channel, using different slots for memory. Managed to test one of the memory sticks and it passed 100%. No matter what memory is used and in what configuration, SP3 always fails at the same point of install, but the errors are random. Usually non-paged or read only memory write-attempt. I know for a fact that there are no viruses on the computer as the only install that has succeeded is XP Pro and the MB drivers (both original CDs) .

Now the computer won't even boot up as far as the BIOS splash screen. It resets after being on for only a few seconds. I've checked as far as possible that the motherboard isn't shorting out. The order of construction is casing, spacer, motherboard, screw. It did have insulation washers then because of these issues I removed them as they were insulating against the screw earthing points which are obviously designed to make earthing contact with the casing screws. Since these earth above and below the motherboard it isn't possible to insulate against them anyway. This didn't solve the problem though.

I'm out of ideas. Tired to join Dabs forum but got refused (with no explanation as of yet). Emailed their general assistance. It would help even if I could figure out what is failing. At the moment it seems to be the motherboard, but not sure what to get an RMA for as I don't know what's failing?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
It sounds like your bios got corrupted somehow. Gigabyte has the dual boot bios so that if the primary bios fails it uses the back up default bios and reposts. For some reason you are in an infinite boot loop which shouldn't ever occur on a gigabyte motherboard unless....bad memory (which you've checked), cpu error (you don't have that), power issues (you have a solid psu and you've checked for shorts). Hmm, have you tried booting with just the essentials? PSU, 1 stick of RAM, mobo, cpu and see if you can get to the bios screen?

alowe

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Well I eventually tried unplugging the monitor and "hearing" if it booted up fine and to my surprise it did. Managed to get another monitor to test it all and no problems. This surprised me as I didn't expect the monitor (which I thought was passive to the computer) to effect things. Might be an electrical fault in the monitor leaking back through the connector to the computer.

So, either it's a weirdly intermittent problem, my old monitor, the graphics card, the part of the motherboard that has anything to do with the graphics, PCI or display, or the memory. I'm tending to think it's the monitor (unless the new one starts acting up as well).

Tested the gfx card with a burn in test on FurMark and it passed fine. Will do a full test on both memory sticks when I have a spare 20-40 minutes. Otherwise, if the problem doesn't occur again, will just have to clock it up to the old monitor and bin it. Shame too as it's a 22 inch :(

But at this time, no problem - cross fingers :whistle: