Connect machines together without domain

liblabs

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hi,
I have 3 machines running windows XP, they all belong to my company's domain. These machines have to leave our office but still have to be able to connect to each other and share a few folders on each. I used to do this all the time. I would make sure to turn on the "Server" service, set the windows firewall to allow File and Printer sharing, set the File and Printer sharing setting in the Local Area Connection properties, and set the proper sharing/security of the specific folder. Then as long as each machine used a specific local logon name that was the same on each machine, they would all connect to the shares and work perfectly.
However now, I seem to not be able to get any of this to work on machines that have service pack 3. Is there something in sp3 that breaks this?? Isn't there a way to still share files on these sp3 machines even though I'm not on the domain? (without changing the domain membership)
thanks,
-Jesse

Solution
Can you try to map the drive using a specific user (map drive, select "connect using a different user name", use the user name on the remote machine as in PCNAME\USERNAME just like you would if specifying a domain but use the PC name in place where the domain would go.

I also re-read the part where they are on the domain but you are trying to connect them outside of the domain. Can you try to remove them from the domain and see if they work that way. It sounds like it's trying to authenticate the users agains the domain controller and not the local account.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
You should still be able to connect directly to each PC. Ensure they're connected to the same network, then just start --> run --> \\machinename\C$
You will need a local users login details.

liblabs

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Arael, thanks. I've done that though. I have this other laptop that is still sp2, and it all works fine on that one, I can connect to it and see it's shared folder. I create a local user with the exact same name and password on each machine. I used to do this all the time when our employees left the office to do work at another company. And it is still working on this random laptop that has XP sp2. But these other laptops with sp3 just won't connect.

I just have all the machines connected to a 5 port switch. Usually I've used a crossover cable between 2 machines, but now I'm dealing with 3 machines so it should still be the same with a switch right?

When I try to connect to a share, it usually gives me a message saying "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." But on the sp3 machine, in the security logs, I see entries showing the other machine is trying to connect to it. It shows the other machine name and the username its logged on as, but it just says "an error has occured during logon"

Something with all the sp3 machines just wont let anything else connect to it (unless i hook my switch to the rest of my network, giving it a domain to authenticate with).

Do you HAVE xp sp3 machines that you are getting this to work on?
I also have ONE laptop that is windows 7 and it works fine connecting to this one. It's only the XP sp3 machines that I can not connect to.

Thanks for helping!

liblabs

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
HangThe9, Yes I've tried several times with the firewall being turned off. This still never helps and also still gives the same error messages that I've mentioned before. I haven't seen anything different from having the firewall off or on.
thanks,

Can you try to map the drive using a specific user (map drive, select "connect using a different user name", use the user name on the remote machine as in PCNAME\USERNAME just like you would if specifying a domain but use the PC name in place where the domain would go.

I also re-read the part where they are on the domain but you are trying to connect them outside of the domain. Can you try to remove them from the domain and see if they work that way. It sounds like it's trying to authenticate the users agains the domain controller and not the local account.

Solution

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

Unfortunately they don't want to/are unable to change the domain membership.

I'll try disconnecting some of our XP SP3 machines here and giving it a shot.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Liblabs - Have you used the local computers name in the logon form?
I tried just then with two connected directly via a switch, static IPs set.

Was able to connect via start --> Run --> \\192.168.0.2\C$
Username: Remotepcname\administrator

Both systems were able to successfully connect when using the remote PC's name before the username.
I had to turn Windows Firewall off too.

-edit
I am also able to see the locally shared folders by going into Network Places -> Entire Network -> Windows Network -> Domain name

liblabs

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
hang-the-9 and Arael, thanks!!! the "connect using a different logon name" and using the "machinename\username" worked! I'm still getting it to work with the firewall turned on also, I just have the File and Printer Sharing allowed through.

I WAS using machinename\username before when just trying to connect to the share before, but just not when I was mapping a drive. I was SOOO close!

Although, the mapped drive does not remember the password. I have to keep typing it when I log off/on. But that isn't so bad if the user just types it once a day and can use it all day long.

I selected hang-the-9's answer as the best answer because he was first with the specific answer. But you both helped!! Thank you!!!