Half of my display corrupts, other half remains clear

airdog06757

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Here's one that has me stumped. I have a lower tier AMD Radeon based card from XFX, one of the "cheapies" from that blue and yellow store. I can't remember the exact model off the top of my head, will post via update.

For a while, everything was going just fine, then, about a month ago, the problem started. Sometimes while gaming, other times while just browsing the web and paying bills, the left half of my display would begin to corrupt, ultimately degrading into a swath of colored lines and swirls.

The motherboard on that system seemed to have died right about the same time. I rebuilt a new rig from the ground up, all new stuffing, except the Vid Card. Hit the button, fired right up, display clean, life is good. However, shortly thereafter, I started experiencing random shutdowns. After tweaking some of the mobo settings, the shutdowns stopped, for the most part, until last night when the display started to corrupt again. I'm thinking now that the card cooked in my old rig, and it was a thermal short or thermal load issue causing m display headaches. Has anyone else seen this? Display pics coming if I can coax the bad behavior out again.

Current System
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3
Processor: AMD FX-4100 (Zambezi) Quad Core 3.6 GHz
Memory: 4 X 8BG G. Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600
P/S: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 850W
VidCard: ID pending

airdog06757

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Well, I can say without a doubt it's not a video card issue. Just yesterday, I popped a brandy new EVGA GeForce 560 SC in cabled it up, and within minutes, this happened:

requests

Let me know if the photo doesn't load, the fact I'm unable to do a directly upload is more challenging that I thought.

I tried recabling, issue came back, I installed a new HDD, seems to have stopped temporarily, but does any think that my monitor could be going? It's a Dell FPS201, purhased early 2005.