site:tomshardware com does RDP need a graphics card in remote pc

nakota2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I am running an old pentium system as a server (Server 2003 SP2 Enterprise)that I want to remotely access and administer using RDP. I think the graphics card with an AGP interface is failing due to the cooling fan being seized or is at least on its last legs. When I log on to the server remotely, occasionally I get a blank black screen that remains that way. A reboot solves the problem but it always happens again within a few days. Also, the system often seems to go offline or something. Is it possible to run RDP with a failing graphics card or even without one all together in the remote system?

Solution
You don't necessary need a video "card", but you do need a working video "chipset", which is what produces the video signal. Whether that chipset is made available via an add-on video card or integrated/on-board graphics doesn't matter. But you have to at least be able to generate a video signal from one or the other. Afterall, that’s what is being captured and forwarded to your remote desktop client.

So if your add-on video card is failing and you don't have on-board graphics as an option, then eventually you will need to replace the video card in order to continue using RDP.
You don't necessary need a video "card", but you do need a working video "chipset", which is what produces the video signal. Whether that chipset is made available via an add-on video card or integrated/on-board graphics doesn't matter. But you have to at least be able to generate a video signal from one or the other. Afterall, that’s what is being captured and forwarded to your remote desktop client.

So if your add-on video card is failing and you don't have on-board graphics as an option, then eventually you will need to replace the video card in order to continue using RDP.

Solution

nakota2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi there,
I thought this was the case. I think I'll just have to "retire" the motherboard since getting another graphics card with an AGP interface would be nearly impossible. The motherboard doesn't have intergrated graphics either. So, into the bin it goes.

Thanks for your rephly.

Regards,
John.