Sign in with
Your question

I5-3470 vs i5-3570K

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2012 3:33:10 PM

Which is better? the i5-3570K is about £15 more than the i5-3470 and that will stretch my budget which means i can't buy an aftermarket cooler to pair with the i5-3570K, so would it better to buy the i5-3470 to save money or buy i5-3570K and buy an aftermarket cooler later on? By the way i am going to mainly game and i heard overclocking the CPU doesn't increase the performance that much so should i just go with the i5-3470?

Thanks in advance.

More about : 3470 3570k

November 7, 2012 3:54:28 PM

If you want to OC go with the 3570k. If not then the 3470. If you OC if won't make a massive difference since most games are gpu limited anyway. They are both really close in performance.
November 7, 2012 4:16:20 PM

For a small amount difference, I would buy the "K" A 5% increase in price for the potential of a 25% boost in performance looks good to me. You will get the difference back years down the road when you resell it.
This assumes that you will be using a motherboard with a Z77 based chipset.

You do not need more than the stock cooler for a mild overclock(to 4.0?)
The stock cooler might get noisy under load, but you can always add an aftermarket cooler later.

You are correct that a high cpu capability is not as important for gaming as the gpu.
My rule of thumb is tobudget twice the cost of the cpu for a graphics card.

What is the proposed rest of your build?
Perhaps there are some good trade-offs.
Related resources
November 7, 2012 4:25:01 PM

well if you get a i5 3470, you can change the Mobo into something cheaper, if you get an i5 3570k you would stick with a z77 board. btw what is the budget on the build?
November 7, 2012 4:27:38 PM

So OCing won't make a big difference in gaming?
November 7, 2012 4:28:09 PM

My Build is:

CPU: i5-3470/i5-3570K
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
GPU: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7950
PSU: Corsair CX500V2
November 7, 2012 4:36:02 PM

check out the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, great z77 mobo. everyone I know that's had it loves it. I agree with geofelt, go ahead and grab the i5 3570k and grab a different cooler later on. the Hyper 2012 evo is cheap and I've seen it support mid-ish overclocks. I'll provide links to @newegg.com if you want
November 7, 2012 4:59:03 PM

I am from the UK unfortunately and everything is much much more costly in my country so if you could find the links on Amazon.co.uk or scan.co.uk or cclonline.com it would be very much appreciated.
November 7, 2012 5:02:38 PM

Sret43rg said:
So OCing won't make a big difference in gaming?

It depends.
If your gane is FSX, then the cpu is very important and a OC will make a difference.
If your game is BF3 then not so important.... unless you will be playing multiplayer in which case it becomes very important.
I like preserving the option if you can.
That said, if you reduce your cpu budget a bit and increase your gpu budget to about a 1:2 ratio, you will have a well balanced pc.
On the other hand, I see the 3570K as a 4 year gaming chip.
It should be good with the next two generations of stronger graphics cards.

Not that helpful, huh? Sorry.
You will do well either way.
November 7, 2012 5:15:28 PM

I vote for the 3570K. As mentioned above, the aftermarket CPU cooler would be a good upgrade when you can afford it.
Also a less expensive motherboard could help it fit into your budget easier.
November 7, 2012 5:39:10 PM

My two cents (noob perspective)

1. 3570K
2. Love my ASRock z77
3. CoolerMaster hyper 212 EVO cooler

I build my first PC in June and have not even OC'd it yet ... no need to yet. That said the 212 evo is SILENT and I'd rather just install it now - rather than mess with it later.

Good Luck.
November 7, 2012 6:00:02 PM

My .02$: There is no big need for an aftermarket cooler if you have a locked CPU; get the unlocked CPU and upgrade the cooler when you get the cash.
CM Hyper212 Evo and Noctua NH-D14 are the two air coolers I see recommended most.

Many games are not CPU bottlenecked (for 60hz), though, but if you do find a game that stresses your CPU in a few years (or you want to go for 120hz) you'll be able to push your CPU harder to get better performance (instead of having to buy a new CPU).
November 7, 2012 6:28:03 PM

Sret43rg said:
Also, which case would be better for my gaming system? specs are above ^

This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-Vantage-Gaming-Audio-Reader... or this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-RC-430-KWN1-Elite...

Well, I'm going to assume your budget is about $50 US for these cases. I don't know anything about the first one, so I would look for reviews on that. As for the second one, I am currently doing a mod for my sister with that one. It is a nice enough case, although it is several years old and completely lacks any cable management.

For me, this is a challenge and I am building cable management into the PC, but unless you are up for serious modification, its a pretty outdated case.

So I would look at some newer cases in that price range, like the Enermax Ostrog. If you like coolermaster, the HAF 912 is really good. For a little bit more, the BitFenix raider is a nice midtower. I personally like the BitFenix Outlaw a lot.
November 7, 2012 6:31:38 PM

I mention cable management because you have a power supply that is not modular and has a full set of cables. You will want some cable management, particularly for a gaming case that has a window.
November 7, 2012 6:49:55 PM

So i will be able to fit all the cables and all the components into the case but it will be quite messy right? I think i'll be able to deal with that because ive looked at the BitFenix Outlaw and it seems quite a big smaller than the Elite 430 and the Enermax Ostrog and HAF 912 are out of my budget so i think its either the Outlaw or the Elite 430 :/ 

EDIT: How is the Xigmatek Asgard? it is only 27.99 and it seems decent as it has good reviews and decent aesthetics.
November 7, 2012 6:59:56 PM

Sret43rg said:
So i will be able to fit all the cables and all the components into the case but it will be quite messy right? I think i'll be able to deal with that because ive looked at the BitFenix Outlaw and it seems quite a big smaller than the Elite 430 and the Enermax Ostrog and HAF 912 are out of my budget so i think its either the Outlaw or the Elite 430 :/ 

A modular psu is nice in a small form factor case.
But in a normal tower, there is always someplace to tuck away unused power leads.
With a properly sized psu, you are going to use most of the leads anyway.

Just route the cables to the sides and bottom of the case so they are out of the main cooling airflow.
November 7, 2012 7:17:16 PM

So the Cooler Master Elite 430 case will be fine for fitting everything in? I don't really care if the cables are all over the place as i will find a way to make it tidier eventually :) 
November 7, 2012 7:47:31 PM

3470 and H77M-D3H. What I built with a 680. Ivy Bridge is already fast and I can't be bothered overclocking anymore. There is less than a 10% difference. The 3470 is roughly equivalent to a stock 2500K anyway. Spend more on the GPU.
November 7, 2012 7:54:28 PM

So i can't really go wrong with either decision? :D 
!