Sign in with
Your question

Screen Scrambling during Windows 7 Install

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 11, 2012 5:01:21 PM

Greetings All,

I have an old Dell that I removed the HDD from and formatted it. Then I placed it into another Compaq I had with no HDD. I tried doing a fresh install on that drive of Windows 7. The installation almost completes, it gets to the point where the screen resolution adjusts and the setup prompts are about to appear and then the whole screen bugs out. This had happened everytime, including trying to install Windows in Safe Mode and disabling the Display Adapter to use the fallback VGA one.

For the sake of testing, I could install Ubuntu completely fine, with no problems. Even after that, I wiped and reformatted the drive and the screen scrambled again at the same point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 5:32:51 PM

What happens at the point of it asking you about screen resolution? can you change it to 800X600 or something else?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 5:55:41 PM

Is the old Compaq using integrated video or a stand alone video card? What model of Compaq are you referring to? If a stand alone, video card, what make/model is it?
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 6:13:58 PM

The Compaq is using a integrated video card. NVIDIA GeForce 6150 if I remember correctly. I don't remember what model the computer is (I'm at work) but I will try to post it up when I get home.

It never asks about the screen resolution. During the install windows is at "Completing installation" and then it's at that low resolution it's been at the whole time, then the screen flickers and then goes to a higher resolution. As if the install is almost complete and the setup prompts are about to load. It sits at the higher resolution for a short while and then it flickers and goes completely scrambled.

Here is a pic of the screen when it messes up.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cFn2FBR6d7I/UE9_t8Nl...
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 6:50:37 PM

Do you have another monitor that you could use to complete the installation? That looks like a classic case where the video card and monitor can't synch on a particular frequency.
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:00:34 PM

That is a bummer, I don't have another monitor. It's weird because the screen never scrambled with the Ubuntu install and it never scrambles until that point every time. Is there anything else that it "could" be. Is it possible to adjust the frequency of the monitor?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 7:13:38 PM

I would think the format of the drive would take care of it but could it be some kind of driver issue? Before Windows installs the graphics driver it is going to run at the default resolution of 800x600, and it sounds like its crapping out once the graphics driver is installed and tries to raise the resolution.
m
l
September 11, 2012 7:18:32 PM

I don't ever get a prompt to change the resolution. It makes the change on it's own. It's right before I go through the prompts to choose my system name, time zone, etc....
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 7:18:48 PM

You can check the monitor's menu to see if you can force a differnt mode.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 7:22:52 PM

Maybe posting your monitor model will help, it could be trying to put it to a resolution that is not supported by it.
m
l
September 11, 2012 8:31:17 PM

I will try to post more info about the PC and Monitor when I get home. It's just weird because I installed Windows 7 using this monitor on the Dell and never ran into this issue. :S
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 8:39:11 PM

Does the Dell use the same video adapter on it?
m
l
September 11, 2012 9:22:06 PM

Yes, both computers use the same standard analog monitor connection. Both of them are using integrated graphics.
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 11, 2012 11:52:40 PM

Does the Dell also use the Nvidia 6150?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 12:06:06 AM

Since they use different integrated video, they use different drivers. This really does sound like a frequency synch issue.

Try turning the monitor off and then back on when the garbled display presents itself (or simply off until the installation is complete). This will force a re-synch when you power it back on.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 12:10:39 AM

Have you used that windows installation disk on any other PC and is the disk scratch free?
m
l
September 12, 2012 12:36:09 AM

Yes. I have used the install disc on another computer recently. I will try powering the monitor off when I get back home.
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:21:35 AM

Ok, so I tried installing windows with the monitor off. No luck, I tried turning it off and on several times, No luck. And I tried going through the monitor settings, no luck. I really appreciate all the help so far, I hope you guys have some more good ideas, this is looking bleak. :( 
m
l
September 12, 2012 2:44:41 AM

UPDATE: I tried using another monitor while it's bugged out. It looked exactly the same on another monitor. Does this mean the install is messing up? The disc is fine and scratch free, I used the same disc on my main computer about 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 3:21:49 AM

Seems that the driver being loaded is the problem. Does the win7 disk you are using have SP1 on it?
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 12, 2012 12:13:30 PM

Where did you get your Win 7 installation media from? Is it from a downloaded source, a manufacturer OEM disk, or a disk you purchased separately?
m
l
September 13, 2012 12:04:48 AM

I'm giving up and using Ubuntu. I tried a second windows disc and it did the same thing.
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 1:44:53 AM

So, where did you get your Windows install media?
m
l
September 13, 2012 4:56:28 PM

They were from a downloaded source, I have tried 3 different Win 7 discs, all of them did the scramble thing, and then I tried windows xp and on the first reboot I get a disc read error and it asks me to restart and it just keeps doing that, I installed ubuntu again and it's working fine. I really don't understand what windows' problem is.
m
l
a c 226 U Graphics card
a c 253 $ Windows 7
September 13, 2012 7:56:01 PM

Is this a legal source? I ask because some sources have been tampered with and full driver support, for example, may not be on the ISO (disk image).

Sounds like your optical drive could also be an issue in being able to read the disks you are using. Try burning them at the slowest possible speed. You may also want to consider getting an alternate ISO.

If this isn't a properly licensed install, we can't help you any further. Please clarify.
m
l
!