Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Micro Stuttering- Is Fixed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 11, 2012 5:09:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering
I want to buy two HD 7850 graphics cards
But I have a problem - Micro Stuttering

Registered uncorrected error until May 2012
and now ?

More about : micro stuttering fixed

September 11, 2012 5:41:02 PM

Still an issue. What are the specs for the rest of your system? How well balanced your system is has a direct impact on how much micro-stutter you may experience, as well as the currency of your drivers and CF profiles.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 6:49:45 PM

Micro-stutter should be minimal with this config. Just make sure your system stays fully updated, including drivers and CF profiles.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 7:13:26 PM

Yep, update drivers regularly and tinker with profiles, filtering, etc.

Personally, I got tired of crossfire after about a week. Pain in the butt to configure and reconfigure things. I would just roll with one high end card if you need that much performance. 7950 is a great value card.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 7:41:53 PM

I agree with cgner. I've got a 4870x2 and when it works it's great (portal 2) but when it doesn't (crysis 2) it sucks. Especially so for for a card like mine (dual video card in one package) because you can never turn off crossfire or sli. A two card solution like that one your describing would be better... but with games still be designed primarily for consoles and then ported over to PCs... I still see crossfire and sli as being problematic.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 7:54:07 PM

^exactly. When crossfire works, its awesome. Smoother frames at lower cost than a single high end GPU, no game challenges your system, its an eye candy. When it starts to stutter.... most people have no idea how incredibly annoying it becomes after 10 minutes. So like i said, for simple everyday user friendliness/ease of use just stick one stiff, long, fast card into your case.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 9:17:36 PM

oooo said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering
I want to buy two HD 7850 graphics cards
But I have a problem - Micro Stuttering

Registered uncorrected error until May 2012
and now ?


What do you have already?
Have you already bought a 3770K?
Do you already have p motherboard and psu?
What resolution will you be gaming on?

In general, I would not start with a cf/sli configuration unless a single good card will not do the job.
That would be mostly for triple monitor gaming.
Here is a good article for you to read on microstuttering:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 9:25:40 PM

If you must have two graphics cards go SLI not crossfire. Nvidia drivers are better and there is generally less micro-stuttering. However, I would not recommend going with a SLI/CrossfireX config unless you really needed it for more power (like two GTX 680).
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 10:20:24 PM

^that was crossfire. crossfireX is better than SLI, it gives u more flexibility with card models.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 10:47:16 PM

cgner said:
^that was crossfire. crossfireX is better than SLI, it gives u more flexibility with card models.


The only analysis of this I've seen was done with 6870, 6850 and 6950's from what I recall (they were definitely 6000 cards). Those are CrossfireX configurations, and it clearly showed microstuttering to some extent, far more than SLI had in their comparisons. It was done on this site.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 11:57:07 PM

bystander said:
The only analysis of this I've seen was done with 6870, 6850 and 6950's from what I recall (they were definitely 6000 cards). Those are CrossfireX configurations, and it clearly showed microstuttering to some extent, far more than SLI had in their comparisons. It was done on this site.


http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...

Quote:
Radeon HD 6850 & 6870 CrossfireX review

So over the years Multi-GPU support has improved quite a bit, AMD still isn't up-to snuff at the level of NVIDIA though, multi-GPU supports still literally and directly remains the Achilles heel of ATI's Catalyst drivers.

m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:06:16 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-cross...

Quote:
Radeon HD 6850 & 6870 CrossfireX review

So over the years Multi-GPU support has improved quite a bit, AMD still isn't up-to snuff at the level of NVIDIA though, multi-GPU supports still literally and directly remains the Achilles heel of ATI's Catalyst drivers.


That wasn't the one I was thinking of. I'll have to look through it. The one I was referring to was directly targeting micro-stuttering.

Ah, Goggle was kind to me. I found it the first try:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

That was the review I was referring to.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:28:06 AM

You mean this one:


http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Quote:
We learned one other thing from our experimentation: the faster the linked cards are, the less you see side effects from teaming them up. This precludes using two low-end cards. CrossFire and SLI only make sense from the mid-range and higher, with a slight advantage for SLI.


DX 11 Performance
Quote:
It takes a three-way or four-way CrossFire setup to approach the quality of Nvidia's SLI output. \


DX10 performance
Quote:
AMD's dual-GPU CrossFire implementation isn't impressing us. Nvidia emerges victorious here.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:43:12 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
You mean this one:


http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Quote:
We learned one other thing from our experimentation: the faster the linked cards are, the less you see side effects from teaming them up. This precludes using two low-end cards. CrossFire and SLI only make sense from the mid-range and higher, with a slight advantage for SLI.


DX 11 Performance
Quote:
It takes a three-way or four-way CrossFire setup to approach the quality of Nvidia's SLI output. \


DX10 performance
Quote:
AMD's dual-GPU CrossFire implementation isn't impressing us. Nvidia emerges victorious here.

That's the one I linked. Clearly something is going on, but I do wish they tested more cards and on different systems, just to clarify the problem a bit more.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:57:10 AM

Oh thanks goodness for my 3x 670's.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 1:38:31 AM

hmmm I have not seen those reviews before. Thanks for the links :) 
m
0
l
!