Your question

First build, nothing coming on screen.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2012 5:09:16 PM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/child-game-pc-build,revie...

Hi, I have just finished building a system along the lines of the above build with some very slight changes.

Motherboard: AsRock A55M-HVS Motherboard
CPU: AMD A8-3850 Quad-Core Processor - 2.9GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, Socket FM1, APU, Radeon HD 6550D
CPU Cooler: Not arrived yet, so using the one that came with the CPU. But will be Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
PSU: Cooler Master GX-Lite 500W Power Supply
HDD: Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM – OEM

However when I switch it on, both fans start going and nothing else happens. No beeps. No LEDs (even on the NIC).

I'm a bit stuck really. The only thing I've changed from the article is going for a slightly faster CPU, a 500W PSU instead of a 300W and I'm still using the stock CPU cooler for now.

I can't imagine it's overheating as I've only left it switched on for one minute at a time.

I would have imagined I'd get something to give me a clue as to what's missed. A beep? Something?

This is my first ever build so it's wholly possible I'm doing something really stupid.

I've checked the monitor is OK by plugging it into a netbook and I get a picture fine on the DSub connector.

I couldn't work out which way round to plug in the speaker, so I tried it both ways and still no beeps.

The power button starts it up, the reset button causes the fan to change speed. I then need to hold in the power button for about 10 seconds to power off (or I could switch off on the PSU).

Have run out of things to try now.

More about : build coming screen

November 7, 2012 5:13:03 PM

Hey, i had the same problem when first building my PC. What cable are you using from the PC to the Screen. DVI(grey), VGA(Blue) or an HDMI?
November 7, 2012 5:47:24 PM

sbutton said:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/child-game-pc-build,revie...

This is my first ever build so it's wholly possible I'm doing something really stupid.

I was. I had plugged in the ATXPWR1 connector (the longer one) but not the ATX12V1 (the 8 pin connector). So I guess the fans are getting power on a different voltage to the board itself.

Hope this helps someone. :-)

Now, where's that smiley for slapping my palm against my head.