Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 690 wont boot to Windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 11, 2012 8:03:47 PM

Hello,

When I press the power button on my computer I can hear it boot up, everything turns on, lights are on and it makes the normal booting noises however the screen remains black...

NOW

If I open the case up and power it from the mobo the comp will do the same thing, but when I hit the RESET button on the mobo it will show the boot screen

I have to enter safe mode from there and if I dont, it will go to the "Windows" symbol and then go black (the screen that is). However, if I go enter safe mode it will boot up completely. In safe mode I have to choose an OS restart, after I do that, (usually) the comp reboots and goes to windows normally and everything works smoothly from there on out and the games work beautifully.

What could be cause this issue?

MOBO- MSI Intel P67A-GD65
GTX 690 (Dell OEM, recently purchased on Ebay)
PSU: Corsair 850W
8 GB RAM
i5 3.3 ghz OCed to 4.2

Any help would be greatly apprecaited! I dont know if it is the card or not but when I used my old 670 in the case it would boot up perfectly fine.
September 11, 2012 8:07:52 PM

lol did u enable the onboard device in bios ?? my MSI 660 ti did the same first u need to connect ur regular dvi first then install the driver first ... then when u done ... then go back to bios disable the mutiple onboard device then plug in ur graphic card....
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 8:21:50 PM

fsxnoobies said:
lol did u enable the onboard device in bios ?? my MSI 660 ti did the same first u need to connect ur regular dvi first then install the driver first ... then when u done ... then go back to bios disable the mutiple onboard device then plug in ur graphic card....


what do you me by enable the onboard device? Im sorry but I am completely confused by your steps. Im a noob :-(

So I should enter my bios and enable something and install a driver? What driver? My MOBO doesnt have any place I could plug a dvi cable to, so I have to use my card.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 8:29:10 PM

domcorleone21 said:
Hello,

When I press the power button on my computer I can hear it boot up, everything turns on, lights are on and it makes the normal booting noises however the screen remains black...

NOW

If I open the case up and power it from the mobo the comp will do the same thing, but when I hit the RESET button on the mobo it will show the boot screen

I have to enter safe mode from there and if I dont, it will go to the "Windows" symbol and then go black (the screen that is). However, if I go enter safe mode it will boot up completely. In safe mode I have to choose an OS restart, after I do that, (usually) the comp reboots and goes to windows normally and everything works smoothly from there on out and the games work beautifully.

What could be cause this issue?

MOBO- MSI Intel P67A-GD65
GTX 690 (Dell OEM, recently purchased on Ebay)
PSU: Corsair 850W
8 GB RAM
i5 3.3 ghz OCed to 4.2

Any help would be greatly apprecaited! I dont know if it is the card or not but when I used my old 670 in the case it would boot up perfectly fine.


Upgrade your drivers when you boot into windows then restart your pc.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 8:32:11 PM

maxh22 said:
Upgrade your drivers when you boot into windows then restart your pc.


I have tried to update my drivers and still get the same issue. could it be because the card is from an alien-ware comp?

I have tried updating the bios, and the drivers for the mobo, I have updated the drivers for the GPU, what other driver updates should I be trying?

Thanks so much for your reply, if you could help me with those questions i would greatly appreciate it
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 9:59:44 PM

domcorleone21 said:
I have tried to update my drivers and still get the same issue. could it be because the card is from an alien-ware comp?

I have tried updating the bios, and the drivers for the mobo, I have updated the drivers for the GPU, what other driver updates should I be trying?

Thanks so much for your reply, if you could help me with those questions i would greatly appreciate it


Maybe try re-installing your OS?

I had a problem that whenever I shut down my pc it would say shutting down for 5-7 mins then just freeze!

after constantly restarting my pc it wouldn't recognize the nvidia drivers no matter how many times i re-installed them and did a system restore!

I say you try to install a FRESH new OS :) 
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:57:19 AM

Quote:
You need to go into the bios and choose pice as the first video output instead of the onboard gpu.


I cant seem to find that option in the bios... I have an MSI mobo and when i hit F1 or DEL it takes me to their proprietary bios menu, i see no option for video output...
m
0
l
February 19, 2013 9:18:32 PM

It's not your drivers .. it's not your OS .. it's not your Bios. I just went through this very issue with my new rig from Maingear. It's a glitch with some GTX 690 Cards. Changing PCI slots won't work. After 2 bad cards with the same issues the Maingear guys told me there was a problem with some GTX 690's that would cause random issues, but ONLY on system startup (BSOD, restarts, freezes, load into what looks like safe mode, etc.) and that these issues were supposedly fixed by Nvidia but I must have gotten a couple cards from a bad batch.

I did the bios resets, pci slot changes, memtest runs, reload OS, even bought a different SSD and did a fresh load .. tried the last 5 driver sets .. all with the same results .. issues on startup. System would run perfect if it did start correctly, which was rare.

Final straw was to put my old card back into the machine (Radeon HD 6870) without changing any settings .. other than loading the ATI drivers .. BOOM! .. everything worked perfectly .. even put the overclock back on .. BOOM! .. everything worked perfectly. (BTW, this was when the tech rep told me about the startup issues Nvidia was having with the GTX 690.)

I'll just live with the ATI card until the 3rd $1,000 card arives from RMA. Crossing my fingers I get a good one this time.!! Get with the company you got the card from and demand they RMA you a replacement. Too much of an investment not to.

Hope this saves you some time.
m
0
l
!