Sign in with
Your question

Dns problems

Last response: in Networking
October 27, 2011 1:20:04 PM

Ok my wireless card has 5 bars and the little yellow triangle whennn I want run the trouble shooter on windows it says. " windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary dns)"

I have tried power cycling my router, setting a static dns through the card's ipv4 settings and even tried connecting to the wireless from other devices and through a cable nothings worked.

More about : dns problems

October 27, 2011 1:21:54 PM

What's your configuration layout?
m
l
October 27, 2011 1:32:37 PM

If you mean how my hard ware is set up its a speedstream 4200 modem connected to a linksys wireless G router with a 4 port switch built in and the desktop is running win 7 with a asus wireless n card.

Every thing was working fine the other day.

Edit I plugged directly into the modem and used ipconfig and no default gate way showed up is there a chance it was damaged by the storm that happen last night?
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2011 4:15:23 PM

I've seen this issue with a bad router, I would try replacing the linksys router.
m
l
October 27, 2011 4:22:54 PM

The router seems to work fine but read above the modem has no default gateway also I can access the routers settings through its default gateway and can still access other device if I add them to the network
m
l
October 27, 2011 4:51:58 PM

How do you know the modem has no Gateway, is the router telling you this? If your computer is telling you you have no gateway then it's your routers problem.
Try isolating the modem.
Unplug the modem from the power and from the router
Plug your computer in to the modem through Ethernet
Plug the modem back in

*You need to power cycle the modem when plugging in a new device, so if your modem has a battery you will need to unplug that as well

Check and see if your computer has internet.
If it does then there is an issue with the router, if it doesn't then there is an issue with the modem
m
l
October 27, 2011 4:59:17 PM

I figured it out it had omething to do with the modem changed it out now its working
m
l
!