Computer not starting

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2012 8:27:02 PM

First off, i want to say that this probably isnt the right place to put this but i wasnt sure were else to post.

During hurricane sandy, my whole community lost power. When i finally got power back, i went to go turn on my computer. To my surprise, when i pressed the power button, the computer would turn on for about 1 second, than turn off. About 5 secs later it would come back on again for one second and it woud repeat. My first instinct was the psu. I opened up the pc and unplugged everything from it. Starting with the motherboard, i started to connect each wire. It was starting with each piece until i got to the 6-pin connections (HDD/DVD drive). Whenever i plugged these in, the problem would start again. Is it possible for only some of the psu to be broken. I was playing on my computer when we lost power but it is plugged into a surge protector.

asrock z77 extreme4
evga gtx680 ftw+ 4gb
corsair ax850
g.skill ripjaws 8gb
intel i5 3570k

More about : computer starting

November 7, 2012 8:48:44 PM

Corsair generally has good protection against stuff like this.

Have you tried ALL of the HDD connectors?
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:51:04 PM

by hdd connectors do you mean the 6-pin psu connectors or the connectors on the motherboard end?
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2012 8:53:17 PM

I'm confused now. You say the HDD connections are broken, the SATA ones? Because 6-pin generally means graphics card.
m
l
November 7, 2012 8:57:19 PM

the hdd is connected to a SATA cable the connects the hdd to the motherboard. The 6-pin connects the hdd to the psu.
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:01:00 PM

Right. Modular PSU.

Are there any other SATA ones you can try? Maybe try one HDD at a time or something. Just tinker around with it for a little bit.
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:07:08 PM

although it was working before, the not-turning-on issue is happening even with only the motherboard connected. If it helps i was able to get into my bios earlier. I don't know if that rules out the mobo, but im pretty convinced its the psu. Have you ever heard of this not starting problem before?
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:14:34 PM

I've heard many similar problems. If you have a friend who would let you tinker with his computer, I would try that.
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:24:42 PM

i want to do the paper clip test, ut the problem is that the wires are all black on the mobo plug. Is there a way to find out the color of the wires?
m
l
November 7, 2012 9:30:32 PM

I can't recall exactly which motherboard pins you short to do so.

The fact that you got into the BIOS though seems like a factor that the power supply is working....sorta.

I would just see if you can't try some other parts you might have lying around.
m
l
November 7, 2012 10:11:59 PM

Im back to the problem where if i hook up the hdd or the dvd drive it no long works, but without them the pc works fine. This may be do to the fact that theyre 6-pins and that part of the psu doesnt work or that the actual SATA part of mobo doesnt work.
m
l
!