Win XP on WIN 7 computer

You may not be able to! If the vendor of your computer has written XP drivers (check the vendor’s website) then all you have to do is boot from the XP CD. On a modern computer you will need an SP2 disk for SATA support or your install will probably fail. If no XP drivers have been written then you will either have to use windows7 or be willing to accept that some of the computer’s hardware may not work, and that the computer may have some instability issues because of incorrect chipset drivers.

I agree, and re-reading I am not so sure I was right to interpret it the way I did. I think the title swung it for me... that he wanted XP within Win7... but you may be right :)

I must admit I am getting REALLY cheesed off with many posters.... I come here to help... but not sure how much more of
"my computer is broke. help" type questions I can take!! :fou: :pt1cable:

Cheers

try it after 4000 posts and not 140 ;)

I started on the VM XP as it would solve either problem if he wasn't aware of VM. But if he just wants XP, then it a matter of drivers, and thats not fun.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
When it comes to designing a system with both Windows 7 and Windows XP there are two ways to accomplish this task. The first method which you mentioned is to create a dual boot, or multiboot configuration between Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 7. The first step, as you also stated, is to ensure you have a separate location for each operating system you intend to use. In this scenario you will want to have one partition for Windows 7 and a second, separate, partition for Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Just as an added tool, Microsoft has a helpful video of how this process is performed here. Another great resource is the multiboot step-by-step guide Install more than one operating system (multiboot.)

However, with that said, perhaps the easiest way to run Microsoft Windows XP within Windows 7 is through Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC just as another member of this thread pointed out. Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC, available on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate, allow you to run multiple Windows environments, such as Windows XP Mode, from your Windows 7 desktop. For those who do are not currently running Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, there is an easy upgrade path to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate through the Windows Anytime Upgrade program.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro