Help with access to shared files on Wife's PC

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

My PC is running XP Pro
Wife's PC is running XP Home

Problem:
Prior to installing SP2 we were Networked just fine. After we installed
XP SP2,
I cannot access her drive_C at all and get the error - "Drive_C (C) is
not accessible.
You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator
of this server."

However, my wife's PC has full access to my drive_C with the exception
of Program Files.

Note:
Each of our drives are shared.
We both belong to MSHOME.
This problem is the same w/wo Zone Alarm or Windows Firewall running.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Dear Mr. Hunny,

Not sure about this, but I would do the following:

Run "Set up a home network" wizard again, and make sure File and
Printer Sharing is enabled.

Make sure the drive is still shared (by right clicking it and selecting
Sharing and Security), and if it is, try to un-share it, and then
re-share it. You can try to share it with a different name, so you can
see if the new name even shows up on the other computer.

You can try to click View Network Computers in My Network Places, and
see if Mrs. Hunny's computer shows up there. If it doesn't, try to run
a search for it. Just click the Search button on the toolbar.

I would do all this with both firewalls disabled on both computers,
just to make sure they don't interfere, and re-enable them after I see
everything is working. If something THEN goes wrong you know who to
blame. I've read that it's generaly not good to have two firewalls up
at the same time - you should pick the one you think is better and turn
the other one off (not temporarily).

Hope this helps,

Noam Nelke, Israel.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Noam,

Thanks for taking time to provide a straight forward approach to fix
this file sharing problem. I was able to determine that the problem was
caused by a ZoneAlarm control function on MrsHunny's PC. "Generic Host
Processes for Win 32 Services" needed to to be CHECKED in the TRUSTED
SERVER box. Thanks for taking time to help out.

--MrHunny