Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ati 3870x2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 11, 2012 10:21:01 PM

Alright, So i have this problem with my Ati Mobility HD 3870x2 GPU.
For some reason while playing battlefield, every 50 sec. my clock drops from 500mhz to 300 for 10 sec. this process repeats over and over. I've looked all over for a fix.

What ive tried:
Re-installing OS
re-installing graphic card drivers
disabling one card
Running without drivers
Re-installing game
Contacting AMD customer support

My specs:
Intel core 2 Extreme cpu X9100 @ 3.06ghz 3.07ghz
Ati Radeon HD mobility 3870x2
8gb of ram


Help me find a fix please

Thanks,
John Paul

More about : ati 3870x2

September 11, 2012 11:11:44 PM

Check the heat of your laptop.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 11:15:21 PM

Nope, the temperature is staying nominal.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 11, 2012 11:17:45 PM

Also, at 500mhz i get 40fps but when it drops it turns to 9.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 11:20:12 PM

I'm running on a laptop
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 11:20:16 PM

On a regular computer its usually a sign of a loss of power, but I don't think that's the problem.

The GPU will usually throttle itself when the temperatures get too high or there is not enough power.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 11:35:52 PM

I am aware. I don't know why the laptop would be throttling the GPU. I'll do some research.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 11:47:47 PM

Thanks. Much appreciated. I have the Alienware m17 just for more info.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:22:06 AM

I had the exact same issue you had (same laptop) and couldn't figure it out. I had to revert back to the 11.2 series drivers before the issue cleared up.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:23:59 AM

ish416 said:
I had the exact same issue you had (same laptop) and couldn't figure it out. I had to revert back to the 11.2 series drivers before the issue cleared up.


Yeah i tried reverting but it doesnt let you launch BF3. :cry: 
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:50:53 AM

Does it happen with other games? If not, its an issue with the drivers and the game. Nothing can be done.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:52:17 AM

4745454b said:
Does it happen with other games? If not, its an issue with the drivers and the game. Nothing can be done.



Yeah this only happens in BF3
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 3:02:13 AM

Then there is nothing to fix. It's probably an issue with the 3xxx series and BF3. Is there a CAP for the game?
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 11:07:12 AM

4745454b said:
Then there is nothing to fix. It's probably an issue with the 3xxx series and BF3. Is there a CAP for the game?




I'm unfamiliar with that term.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 12:16:01 PM

CAP = Catalyst Application Profile

I am taking my laptop into work this morning and DL'ing the Armored Kill expansion and will see if I have issues launching the game.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 3:04:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah i tried reverting but it doesnt let you launch BF3.

What happens when you uninstall and reinstall the 11.2 drivers?


Regardless of the driver I used I never had any issues with BF3 not launching. It's just the performance was terrible 90% of the time.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 7:17:10 PM

ish416 said:
Quote:
Yeah i tried reverting but it doesnt let you launch BF3.

What happens when you uninstall and reinstall the 11.2 drivers?


Regardless of the driver I used I never had any issues with BF3 not launching. It's just the performance was terrible 90% of the time.


It says i must update my graphic card driver and then closes.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 7:27:36 PM

ish416 said:
CAP = Catalyst Application Profile

I am taking my laptop into work this morning and DL'ing the Armored Kill expansion and will see if I have issues launching the game.


Ive been trying to look around for the ati 3870x2 but i cant find it
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 8:11:18 PM

The CAP would be for BF3 but you don't need one.

Here is a link to the 11.2 drivers I am using

ftp://65.106.72.164/Notebook/IQ_Series/IQ17/Driver/Win7(32)64/03_VGA_ATI_8.821(11.2)_x64.zip

It's from the ASI website. The company who actually build the computer for Dell/Alienware.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 11:47:46 PM

ish416 said:
The CAP would be for BF3 but you don't need one.

Here is a link to the 11.2 drivers I am using

ftp://65.106.72.164/Notebook/IQ_Series/IQ17/Driver/Win7(32)64/03_VGA_ATI_8.821(11.2)_x64.zip

It's from the ASI website. The company who actually build the computer for Dell/Alienware.


I tried your drivers and the problem still persists.

m
0
l
September 13, 2012 11:35:51 PM

no dice. Ive noticed though that this problem doesn't start happening until 5 min into the game
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 11:43:09 PM

And my gpu usage just drops
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 1:47:22 AM

I found something very interesting. My first gpu is actually changing its voltage from 1.2v to 0.90 when the lag is happening.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 3:46:25 AM

Like others I would say heat. But you said it was "nominal" so who knows...
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:02:29 PM

Mine did the exact same thing. It's like it goes from performance mode to desktop (low power) mode and then switches back every few seconds.

BF3 and the sniper elite v2 are the only games that I had this issue with.

When you re-installed your OS did you use an actual Windows disk or just restore from an image?
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 5:38:00 PM

ish416 said:
Mine did the exact same thing. It's like it goes from performance mode to desktop (low power) mode and then switches back every few seconds.

BF3 and the sniper elite v2 are the only games that I had this issue with.

When you re-installed your OS did you use an actual Windows disk or just restore from an image?

OS disk
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 7:57:02 PM

I went through and reread the posts and you state "For some reason while playing battlefield, every 50 sec. my clock drops from 500mhz to 300 for 10 sec. this process repeats over and over."

My clocks are 660 core and 850 memory while plugged in. Mine drop to 300 core when nothing is happening (on ac or battery) and will stay at 500 core on a single card (2nd one goes inactive) when I am running on battery and gaming. Maybe its something in the performance profiles that is getting switched by default?
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 3:23:25 PM

ish416 said:
I went through and reread the posts and you state "For some reason while playing battlefield, every 50 sec. my clock drops from 500mhz to 300 for 10 sec. this process repeats over and over."

My clocks are 660 core and 850 memory while plugged in. Mine drop to 300 core when nothing is happening (on ac or battery) and will stay at 500 core on a single card (2nd one goes inactive) when I am running on battery and gaming. Maybe its something in the performance profiles that is getting switched by default?


i dont know.
m
0
l
September 15, 2012 5:03:47 PM

Go to power in the control panel. Is it set to full?
m
0
l
!