No performance gain with dedicated PhysX card?

Dzigeezoo

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
So I have a GTX 570 and a GTX 550 Ti. I set the 550 as my dedicated PhysX card expecting a performance gain. While running Borderlands (the only PhysX enabled game I have), I actually experienced a decrease in performance by 5-9 FPS. Anyone know as to why this is happening?

drums101

Distinguished
maybe bc before the physx was completely off and now that its on there is some over head on the cpu? not really sure why else or bc now that the physx is on the 570 is waiting for the 550ti to render all of the physx....maybe try a driver update?

drums101

Distinguished
no that really wont help you much....you could just try raising the memory and see if that helps...im sure you will see a small gain with an oc on the 550ti.....can you tell if the physx was enabled before you put this card in there? or do things look exactly the same before you put this card in?

cheezecake56

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Drums101, a dedicated PhysX card DOES NOT render anything. It simply offloads the PhysX work from the CPU. Once it has finish calculating the PhysX work, it sends the commands that tell the primary gfx card what particles to draw i.e. glass shards, bullet casings, etc.With that being said, the performance loss is probably because of the latency times between the 550ti and the 570 or the 550ti is worse then the i7 at PhysX calculating although that would be unlikely. Something even more unlikely is since that there is an 550ti in the system, the 570 may not be getting enough power.

drums101

Distinguished
OK excuse me for my poor choice of words by rendering I meant that the 570 is waiting for the 550ti to "calculate" all of the phyx...I def wasnt saying the 550ti was rendering images. I think everyone here figured out what I meant.