Sign in with
Your question

Potential PSU or MOBO Problem? Weird Symptoms!

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2012 11:08:14 PM

Hello everyone. I am posting about some weird issues ive had with my computer and I though maybe i'd finally post here and ask for some advice. First off here is my build, put together by my self:

7P55D-E LX Mobo
i5 760 Cpu
eVGA GTX 570
8 Gigs gskill 1600 mhz
Corsair TX-650 PSU v1
2 WD 1 TB HDDs 7200
h50 Cooling
5 case fans
Windows 7 Ultimate

Here are some things ive noticed about my computer that have always been an issue.

-When I start the computer, all of my USB peripherals such as my mouse, microphone, keyboard power on and off multiple times during the post and bios screens. The lights on them turn on and off multiple times during whole process of turning on the PC and getting in to windows. (normal or possible PSU/MOBO issue?)

-When I can get a 'stable' overclock at a higher speed (4.0 ghz or so) some times my computer wont boot when its been off all night. I can restart it and have it boot right back in to windows but if I leave it off all night some times in the morning I have to start it more than once to get it going.

-The bios menu in general seems sluggish. When it starts i feel like i hit delete and go trough 4 different screen before it actually goes in to the bios screen ( I start hitting DEL once its says to) and once in the bios menu it seems like my key strokes are delayed against the menu movement.

-A few times in the recent days Ive had my computer off when I came home. I usually leave it running. When I hit power it wont start or maybe the fans will spin for a half second. I have to flip the switch on the back of the psu and leave it off once or maybe twice and then the PC will boot.

Other than that when its actually running it works well. Im typing this post on it and it runs games smoothly. I just feel like I can keep a decent OC because of it and I feel like some of the things its doing above are weird. Does any one have any tips or advice? Im not looking to really upgrade too much as I feel it can play most games that are out now. BTW the temps are fine. Idle at stock speeds my CPU is ~31 degrees and about 40 at a 4.0 OC. And my computer is nice a clean too.
November 7, 2012 11:32:41 PM

I can not help you for certain but I have had similar issues, especially the need to cycle the power switch, due to over-clocking, Most of the time it would work fine but sometimes it just would not work. I backed down on my settings and everything worked A-ok

It may also be the motherboard is flaky as overclock issues are the result in making a flaky motherboard. The best way is to test is to go back to stock settings and see if the problems ever happen again.

If that solves your issues it may be time to go to the OC forums and ask for help is finding the right setting for your exact set-up.

I eventually had better results with voltage changes but went back to 100% stock for the stability.

It does not sounds like your PSU.

m
l
November 8, 2012 1:10:19 AM

Update:

Literally 30 seconds after I finished that last post, my computer suddenly turned off. I thought I smelled something weird so I got a little closer. The PSU smelled like burning electronics. I went to the local Tiger Direct and bought a corsair tx 750 v2 and brought it home. I smelled the tx650 when I got back and the smell was mostly gone. I have no idea what the hell is going on with it. The 750 seems to be working fine.

As far as the blinking USB stuff on start up, I think its only my logitech usb Microphone that does it and not the mouse or key board. The bios seems still kind of sluggish though still. Im not sure if I even want to try to over clock it again. Maybe this will just give me an excuse to upgrade to a 2500k or Ivy bridge.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2012 1:33:41 AM

ok well is everything ok?
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:12:55 AM

Everything seems to be working as it was before.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2012 2:31:20 AM

alright glade to help XD dont forget to pic a best answer if the guy above helped you

surprised it was your psu though
m
l
November 8, 2012 9:00:43 AM

The burning smell does give it away. Glad you caught it before it took your system down
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 8, 2012 10:29:19 PM

XD or your house :lol: 
m
l
!