No video cant reset cmos after installing video card on a onboard video MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsmithjr

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Hello,
MOTHERBOARD is a GA-MA790GPT-UD3H,Video is a hd 6850.windows posted with video card but i assume loaded a bad default driver and then no video.now i cant seem to clear cmos and get iether onboard or pci-E videos to work.plese give me some good news!

Solution
if you cpu fan stopped working and its plugged into the motherboard then that is not a good sign...no cpu fan will turn off completely when the system is on...it kinda sounds like you may have fried the board somehow during all this...that would explain the not powering off too....is there a way you can test your components in another computer? Like the graphics card/ram/cpu/powersupply?

drums101

Distinguished
remove the motherboard battery to clear the cmos....then have the card plugged in and try to boot into the BIOS...if you get video and can do this then just go in there and change the primary graphics adapter to PCIE or PEG (same thing diff name depending on motherboard) then save settings and reboot...problem solved...if you dont get video with the video card installed remove the video card and hook up the monitor to the onboard...boot into the bios this way and do the same steps changing the primary graphics adapter to PEG or PCIE and then reboot...this time before you power it back on plug the gpu in and the monitor to it...you should be set to go

dpsmithjr

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
i unplugged it with the battery out overnight held down the power button and tripped the clear cmos jumper. i can hear it detecting my drives but it wont power off (even holding power botton for 5 secs) i have to unplug it.i have an Antec 500W power suply-thanx for the fast replies.i F-in love Toms Hardware

dpsmithjr

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Correct,had problem b4 but reseting cmos worked.worried.is it nessesary or possible to do a bios flash headless?shoulnt windows still try to boot w\o video?the power not turning off is unusual also.and my cpu fan isnt working now but may have not noticed that while working since it RAN cool without it, coincedence?

drums101

Distinguished
if you cpu fan stopped working and its plugged into the motherboard then that is not a good sign...no cpu fan will turn off completely when the system is on...it kinda sounds like you may have fried the board somehow during all this...that would explain the not powering off too....is there a way you can test your components in another computer? Like the graphics card/ram/cpu/powersupply?

Solution

dpsmithjr

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
not good news man!,i can test the fan and power supply tonight,the fan seems to try to work.could it be something reflashing bios could fix if its not the hardware?.(or am i reaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.