Closed Solved

Thoughts? ($2500 Build)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 60.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($95.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($208.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($529.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case ($165.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Other: KOSS SB45 Headset ($31.99)
Other: XTRAC PADS Ripper Mouse Pad ($13.99)
Total: $2553.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

As for the i7 and 16GB RAM, I will be getting into some video editing later. And I am adding another 140mm fan for a tri-pull on the CPU cooler.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about thoughts 2500 build
  1. Best answer
    I would drop the EVGA 680. It's a very overpriced card that's only a 5% increase in performance from the 670. I suggest getting the 7970 GHz Edition instead. It outperforms both at a much cheaper price than the 680.

    Everything else looks great, well though out. If you want some cheaper alternatives to help meet your $2500 budget, I can give some.
  2. excella1221 said:
    I would drop the EVGA 680. It's a very overpriced card that's only a 5% increase in performance from the 670. I suggest getting the 7970 GHz Edition instead. It outperforms both at a much cheaper price than the 680.

    Everything else looks great, well though out. If you want some cheaper alternatives to help meet your $2500 budget, I can give some.


    Let me adjust that then, XFX 7970 w/ an 3570k because an i7 won't be needed for a while. I am a multitasker so the 16GB RAM stays. with the savings its about $2400 (got better and more storage).

    Here is the revised build:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 60.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($95.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($208.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($182.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($432.86 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case ($165.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($165.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse ($64.98 @ Newegg)
    Other: KOSS SB45 Headset ($31.99)
    Other: XTRAC PADS Ripper Mouse Pad ($13.99)
    Total: $2449.17
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  3. would change case into something like Cooler master storm styker or NZXT 810 switch. just a personal preference
  4. Best answer selected by Poltregeist.
  5. boulbox said:
    would change case into something like Cooler master storm styker or NZXT 810 switch. just a personal preference


    I like the look of both, yet I need good stock cooling. The both warrant an additional $50 in fans and anyway this blackhawk ultra will fit ANYTHING. Future-proof as you can be :lol:
  6. also the 840 250GB is cheaper per gb
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7td250bw

    faster speeds than the 830 also
  7. boulbox said:
    also the 840 250GB is cheaper per gb
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7td250bw

    faster speeds than the 830 also


    Will do! Forgot the 840 series came out.
  8. excella1221 said:
    I would drop the EVGA 680. It's a very overpriced card that's only a 5% increase in performance from the 670. I suggest getting the 7970 GHz Edition instead. It outperforms both at a much cheaper price than the 680.

    Everything else looks great, well though out. If you want some cheaper alternatives to help meet your $2500 budget, I can give some.


    I am also getting some NVIDIA 3D Glasses for that monitor ;)
  9. Poltregeist said:
    I am also getting some NVIDIA 3D Glasses for that monitor ;)


    then you will want to get a 670 instead of a 7970 GHz.

    Nvidia 3D is a lot better(personal experience) but it was fun while i used it. i stopped using it about a week after constantly gaming on 3D since i play multiple games and since 3D is not the same for every game i just thought the hassle wasn't worth turning it on and off.
  10. I don't know why but the 830 has a much higher write speed of 400mb/s than the 840 with 250mb/s.
  11. boulbox said:
    then you will want to get a 670 instead of a 7970 GHz.

    Nvidia 3D is a lot better(personal experience) but it was fun while i used it. i stopped using it about a week after constantly gaming on 3D since i play multiple games and since 3D is not the same for every game i just thought the hassle wasn't worth turning it on and off.


    What type of hassle is involved in turning on/off 3D? With that BenQ monitor it has profiles, so could I access the 3D from there and just switch with the push of a button? And as for the 670 I already thought of that. Got an EvGA 670 FTW+ 4GB now :D
  12. excella1221 said:
    I don't know why but the 830 has a much higher write speed of 400mb/s than the 840 with 250mb/s.


    Actually I am now getting the 840 Pro which matches the read, and beats the write speed ;)
  13. excella1221 said:
    I don't know why but the 830 has a much higher write speed of 400mb/s than the 840 with 250mb/s.


    840 non pro uses TLC nand. in other words, the lowest grade stuff you can put into a SSD
  14. excella1221 said:
    I don't know why but the 830 has a much higher write speed of 400mb/s than the 840 with 250mb/s.


    840 non pro uses TLC nand. in other words, the lowest grade stuff you can put into a SSD
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems