Is this a good gaming budget build?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 12:31:49 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mT7l

This is what I have as the build right now. The primary use of this computer is going to be gaming. I am kind of a rookie when it comes to building and would love suggestions but please if you do make suggestions please clarify why and try to explain a little bit since I am new to all of this.

Also, with build it say there is a minor problem listed below, could you tell me exactly what this means since I am confused by this.

ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports.

More about : good gaming budget build

November 8, 2012 12:32:57 AM

Also, I would like to add that this PC will be running anything from League of Legnds, Diablo 3, Call of Duty, SWTOR, and upcoming titles.

Please tell me if this build is capable of all of that.
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:16:08 AM

Basically, that minor problem is just that. The PC case you've chosen just doesn't have any USB 3.0 ports on the front. It's not really a big issue, however. You can always find a different case, or just not use it. It's not a deal breaker by any means.

Is your budget around $800 then? Are you looking to go lower in price? It looks like you need a monitor and an OS to go along with the budget you've got. If you have a specific budget you'd like to adhere to, it'd be good to know. Do you plan to overclock? Are you planning to Crossfire or SLI at all?

If you're not going to Crossfire/SLI, then you don't really need a 650w PSU. Something around 500-550w would be fine. If you do plan to Crossfire/SLI, however, you might want to consider a 700-750w instead.

Edit:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mTFf

I rearranged some of your build. You get a slightly different monitor (same brand though), a 1TB hard drive, a Radeon 7850 2GB video card, and the use of the USB 3.0 port(s) on the front of the case. Granted, it's a little more out of pocket before rebates, but with rebates it's actually a few bucks cheaper. You can even use the RAM from your build, since the one in my list is the same price (or was, at least, when I posted this).
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 1:38:13 AM

I'm no expert, but these seems like solid choices, for that price range. But change your graphic card: Sapphire isn't an option, go to Powercolor or XFX (Gigabyte, Asus and MSI are also good choices): Greater cooling capabilities, more reliable components.

I'd add cores to my CPU: Consider i5-3450. I know that the i3-3220's cheaper and very good, but you might just want to add a little juice to it for longevity and to avoid to bottleneck your GPU. Also, connection between you GPU and CPU is faster with the i5-3450. But your choice is also solid if you like.

And as for the games that you want to play, you're already over requirements with that GPU, even at 1080p, assuming that you'll have only one monitor and will play at this res.

As for the USB3, well, I know that it's convenient to have it in the front of the case, but most USB peripherals still use a USB2 interface... That's your call. The Elite 431 Plus looks just like the 430, with one USB3 connector on the front end.

And finally, you didn't talked about overclocking, but I assume that you don't want to because this processor can't be oc'd...
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:41:01 AM

Sorry, wrote my post while macgreen posted his reply ;-)

and for USB3, I stand by my recommendation, because I'm sure that velliott made that choice because of the looks more than the features ;-)
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:43:51 AM

My budget is around $800. I would like to keep the price as close to this as possible. As far as overclocking and crossfire I would like to keep this build fairly simple since it my first ever build, but I would like to have room for upgrades in the future.
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:55:18 AM

Also, why would the Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card be good for this build?
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:04:07 AM

Unfortunately, we can't do much about upgrading the CPU when we stick with Intel. Their new socket CPUs arrive next year sometime, so the current sockets in use (LGA 1155) won't be in use after Ivy Bridge. Kinda stuck there. That said, we -could- go the AMD route instead. Their FM2 and AM3+ sockets are still being supported and will be upgrade-able in the future, so let's try something with the FX series.

The 7850 2GB card is good because it can handle higher detail and anti-aliasing when compared to the 1gb version. It's likely also faster than the one that you'd chosen in your build, though I don't know that for certain.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:14:57 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mTU0

And if we go the AMD route with an FX-6300, we get a bonus: an ASUS Radeon HD 7870 2gb card rather than a 7850. Everything else is roughly the same, and although I'm not all that familiar with the AMD CPU motherboards, you should even be able to overclock to a decent extent. I believe the 6300 is actually better than the i3 CPUs (at the cost of power efficiency, of course), and comes pretty close to some of the i5s, including the i5-3470. It does, however, suck up power like no one's business compared to the Intel CPUs.

You could save money by switching back to the 7850s if you want to as well, but that's up to you. The 7870 GHZ editions are more capable than the 7850s are, being faster and everything, or you could switch to a GTX 660 if you want to use less power. If your electric bill is a concern, you'd be better off with the Intel build.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:19:55 AM

With this build macgreen what could I expect in terms of possible power effiency problems? And is there anyway to counter these problems?

Also, could you alter this build some to add a monitor,keyboard, and mouse to this build as well as try to keep it under $850?
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:25:42 AM

Well, there's not much that can be done when it comes to how much power the CPU uses. I already chose a CPU that is 95w, and that's about as good as it gets with the FX CPUs that are good for gaming. However, let me see what I can do about a monitor, at the least. That was my mistake there, I forgot to add that back into the equation.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:28:45 AM

Thanks and I appreciate all the help you are giving me.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:35:33 AM

I'd actually recommend getting a keyboard and mouse from a thrift store, to be honest. They're usually pretty cheap there, so if you have one nearby, it'd save you some money to get 'em at a Goodwill or Salvation Army or something along those lines.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mU4b

Well, we're back to a 7850 2GB card, but you get a monitor as well this time. You can shave $10 off by getting an Acer monitor instead, if you wanted to. However, we did lose the CPU cooler (no big loss if you do only minor to no overclocking anyway, and for being new to PC building, I wouldn't recommend overclocking). That'll bring you down to $853 (under $830 with rebates). To get completely within budget before rebates, I think we'd have to go down to a 7850 1GB or try either less RAM or a different brand of it.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:51:16 AM

I am happy with this build as long as it will be able to play pretty much any game. Thank you for your help.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:58:10 AM

You could technically play most games with a 7770, really, though perhaps not at Ultra settings. Mid-High settings with a 7770 on a number of games would be something you could expect. With a 7850, you'll be pretty much set at 1920x1080 (though remember, the 2gb version will get you higher detail settings, but they'll both do very well at the same resolution regardless

And no problem. Took me a while to figure this stuff out as well.
m
l
November 8, 2012 3:00:14 AM

Darkmonk said:
I'm no expert, but these seems like solid choices, for that price range. But change your graphic card: Sapphire isn't an option, go to Powercolor or XFX (Gigabyte, Asus and MSI are also good choices): Greater cooling capabilities, more reliable components.

I'd add cores to my CPU: Consider i5-3450. I know that the i3-3220's cheaper and very good, but you might just want to add a little juice to it for longevity and to avoid to bottleneck your GPU. Also, connection between you GPU and CPU is faster with the i5-3450. But your choice is also solid if you like.

And as for the games that you want to play, you're already over requirements with that GPU, even at 1080p, assuming that you'll have only one monitor and will play at this res.

As for the USB3, well, I know that it's convenient to have it in the front of the case, but most USB peripherals still use a USB2 interface... That's your call. The Elite 431 Plus looks just like the 430, with one USB3 connector on the front end.

And finally, you didn't talked about overclocking, but I assume that you don't want to because this processor can't be oc'd...

I have 2 sapphire's in crossfire and they are just fine lol. Sapphire is the AMD EVGA so just stop there. Though honestly brand loyalty isn't important. Go for the cheapest card with decent reviews (4/5+).
m
l