[New WoD] Clan Daeva

Yeah, I suppose everyone has seen this already, but the WoD site has
published a little about the first of the 5 clans for the new Vampire.

The Daeva are the aesthetic, sensual beauties of the vampire world.
They prefer the charming, the seductive and the outright gorgeous as
their recruits. They are masters of the Discipline of Majesty, which
deals with lust and desire, and also have an affinity for the powers
of Celerity and Vigor. Their curse is that their will weakens if they
do not slake their Vices when the opportunity presents itself.

Comment : They have a lot in common with the old Toreador at first
sight, but in an overtly physical way rather than having a focus on
the debatable notion of 'Art'. They have potential to be very creepy
and intimidating, particularly as some aspects of their apparent
interest in physical perfection could lead them into rather icky
directions.

Any comments?

Charlie

>Yeah, I suppose everyone has seen this already, but the WoD site has
>published a little about the first of the 5 clans for the new Vampire.
>
>The Daeva are the aesthetic, sensual beauties of the vampire world.
>They prefer the charming, the seductive and the outright gorgeous as
>their recruits. They are masters of the Discipline of Majesty, which
>deals with lust and desire, and also have an affinity for the powers
>of Celerity and Vigor. Their curse is that their will weakens if they
>do not slake their Vices when the opportunity presents itself.
>
>Comment : They have a lot in common with the old Toreador at first
>sight, but in an overtly physical way rather than having a focus on
>the debatable notion of 'Art'. They have potential to be very creepy
>and intimidating, particularly as some aspects of their apparent
>interest in physical perfection could lead them into rather icky
>directions.
>
>Any comments?

Comment: In a weird sort of way, imo, the Daeva are a cross between the
Toreador and the Tzimese (sp?), simply because if they wish to take physical
beauty to it's ultimate extreme, they could very well be capable of doing some
icky things and going on some icky directions in order to achieve that state of
physical perfection.

Be interesting to see what else is in store for us with V:tR... and all these
new vamps.

Stephie

"Let's get to work..."
Angel - "Not Fade Away"

Stephie wrote:
>>Yeah, I suppose everyone has seen this already, but the WoD site has
>>published a little about the first of the 5 clans for the new Vampire.
>>
>>The Daeva are the aesthetic, sensual beauties of the vampire world.
>>They prefer the charming, the seductive and the outright gorgeous as
>>their recruits. They are masters of the Discipline of Majesty, which
>>deals with lust and desire, and also have an affinity for the powers
>>of Celerity and Vigor. Their curse is that their will weakens if they
>>do not slake their Vices when the opportunity presents itself.
>>
>>Comment : They have a lot in common with the old Toreador at first
>>sight, but in an overtly physical way rather than having a focus on
>>the debatable notion of 'Art'. They have potential to be very creepy
>>and intimidating, particularly as some aspects of their apparent
>>interest in physical perfection could lead them into rather icky
>>directions.
>>
>>Any comments?
>
> Comment: In a weird sort of way, imo, the Daeva are a cross between the
> Toreador and the Tzimese (sp?), simply because if they wish to take physical
> beauty to it's ultimate extreme, they could very well be capable of doing some
> icky things and going on some icky directions in order to achieve that state of
> physical perfection.
>
> Be interesting to see what else is in store for us with V:tR... and all these
> new vamps.
>

> Stephie
>
> "Let's get to work..."
> Angel - "Not Fade Away"

Daeva is a mix of Toreador !Toreador and Brujah (for the passion part)
have a discipline set similar to Brujah and a clan weakness similar
to the Ravnos -> Must indulge there vice whenever possible.

--
TzimisceLord
http://myvtes.free.fr

On 29 Jun 2004 22:39:22 GMT, sfryar@aol.comSPAMIN8R (Stephie) wrote:

>>Yeah, I suppose everyone has seen this already, but the WoD site has
>>published a little about the first of the 5 clans for the new Vampire.
>>
>>The Daeva are the aesthetic, sensual beauties of the vampire world.

(snip)

>>Any comments?
>
>Comment: In a weird sort of way, imo, the Daeva are a cross between the
>Toreador and the Tzimese (sp?), simply because if they wish to take physical
>beauty to it's ultimate extreme, they could very well be capable of doing some
>icky things and going on some icky directions in order to achieve that state of
>physical perfection.

That was my thinking. They could potentially span the whole range from
those who are very nearly human to the most unnatural
perfection-obsessed freaks - I imagine that the gradation will be
done through the Covenants.

>Be interesting to see what else is in store for us with V:tR... and all these
>new vamps.

It looks as if the Majesty discipline may be a Daeva signature, and so
might be hard to obtain for other clans. It will be interesting to see
how Daeva bloodlines will work - I would imagine that it will be
straightforward to create a pseudo-Toreador as a Daeva bloodline.

Cheers,

Charlie

On 30 Jun 2004 12:06:39 -0700, ewschill@hotmail.com (Triple E) wrote:
>game. Sure, Revised was getting away from that, but this sounds a lot
>better.

It's better, I totally agree, but is it better enough ?

I mean, I was hoping a WOD2.0, and it seems to me I'm getting
a WOD1.1 . Okay, the toreador, gangrel and nosferatu clans are better
written and more playable, the rules are simpler, but... I am
beginning to think that it's too little, too late, not different
enough. I'm too used to the old WOD to learn a "just a little better"
WOD, it's going to be too tedious, trying to not mistake them because
they're too similar.

But, wait and see. Just, I was far more hopeful a month ago.

Guillaume

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:12:29 +0200, Guillaume JAY
<gjay_diespammer-die@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>On 30 Jun 2004 12:06:39 -0700, ewschill@hotmail.com (Triple E) wrote:
>>game. Sure, Revised was getting away from that, but this sounds a lot
>>better.
>
>It's better, I totally agree, but is it better enough ?
>
> I mean, I was hoping a WOD2.0, and it seems to me I'm getting
>a WOD1.1 . Okay, the toreador, gangrel and nosferatu clans are better
>written and more playable, the rules are simpler, but... I am
>beginning to think that it's too little, too late, not different
>enough. I'm too used to the old WOD to learn a "just a little better"
>WOD, it's going to be too tedious, trying to not mistake them because
>they're too similar.

I dunno. I was hoping that the nWoD would be a version of the oWoD
'done right', so keeping all of the stuff that worked (which was
considerable), and ditching the stuff that didn't (which was not as
considerable, but still significant).

So far the Vampire stuff we've seen seems to concatenate a lot of good
stuff from clans into a few groups, rather than doling out the quirks
piecemeal so that characters were just a gimmick hung loosely on a
rudimentary personality.

For a start, much though I liked playing one, Vampire is greatly
improved by not having Malkavians. 'I'm mad' is not a great character
raison d'etre unless it's backed up by something more substantial than
'because I have to be'.

> > Yeah, I suppose everyone has seen this already, but the WoD site has
> > published a little about the first of the 5 clans for the new Vampire.
> >
> > The Daeva are the aesthetic, sensual beauties of the vampire world.
> > They prefer the charming, the seductive and the outright gorgeous as
> > their recruits. They are masters of the Discipline of Majesty, which
> > deals with lust and desire, and also have an affinity for the powers
> > of Celerity and Vigor. Their curse is that their will weakens if they
> > do not slake their Vices when the opportunity presents itself.
> >
> > Comment : They have a lot in common with the old Toreador at first
> > sight, but in an overtly physical way rather than having a focus on
> > the debatable notion of 'Art'. They have potential to be very creepy
> > and intimidating, particularly as some aspects of their apparent
> > interest in physical perfection could lead them into rather icky
> > directions.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Charlie
>
> So far they seem like I always wanted the Toreador to be, and kind
> of how I ended up playing one. Beautiful, seductive, passionate, and
> hedonistic.
-------
The Daevas seem to me more like a fusion of the Torries with the Followers
of Set. I'm not sure I wouldn't have preferred the Ventrue, Toreador and
Lasombra to all have merged into a single clan of "posh" vamps, but I'm not
sure it will be possible to draw a clan for clan correspondance - except
that the Ventrue have clearly been left intact.

--
You are Not entering Chapeltown.
We walk on two legs, the one abstract

Certic wrote:

> The Daevas seem to me more like a fusion of the Torries with the Followers
> of Set. I'm not sure I wouldn't have preferred the Ventrue, Toreador and
> Lasombra to all have merged into a single clan of "posh" vamps, but I'm not
> sure it will be possible to draw a clan for clan correspondance - except
> that the Ventrue have clearly been left intact.

I've tried to do this the other way 'round, but it's too complicated
(and the entries end up too long), so I'll do it this way:

-Assamites-

To an extent, these exist as the Mysterious Exotic Foreigner archetype
of the Mekhet, but mostly they're gone.

-Brujah-

The Brujah exist primarily within the Daeva now, what with the whole
"inciting passion" thing. Make a Daeva with Wrath as his Vice and he'll
resemble a Brujah.

More likely they've been folded into the Carthian Movement, which the
video calls "the Carthian revolutionaries."

-Followers of Set-

The Daeva take the "seducer" archetype the Followers of Set fulfilled so
well.

Beyond that, the Mekhet are the "occult archeologist" vampires, which is
the other archetype the Setites fulfilled. Their clan weakness also
resembles the Setite clan weakness.

-Gangrel-

Most obviously the New Gangrel.

-Giovanni-

The Mekhet get the "blasphemous secrets" archetype.

The New Ventrue get the "familial obligation" archetype.

-Lasombra-

Since they were the Evil Ventrue anyway, they resemble the New Ventrue.

They also fold into the Mekhet, due to the whole "affinity with
darkness/evil mystics" thing.

Finally, it would seem their whole catholic undercurrent and the Path of
Night go into the Lancea Sanctum.

-Malkavian-

The Malkavians are mad, and from madness derives insight. The Mekhet
are insightful, but that insight sometimes leads them to madness. Thus,
the Mekhet are the Malkavians from the other direction.

They also seem to be folded into the New Nosferatu, due to the whole
"unpleasant aura" thing and the Nightmare discipline, which might
resemble Dementation in some ways.

-Nosferatu-

New Nosferatu, of course.

The "Information gathering" shtick goes to the Mekhet, though.

-Ravnos-

The Daeva get the Ravnos weakness, almost. There really isn't much more
of an archetype to pass on.

-Toreador-

Well, yeah. Daeva, obviously.

Also the Invictus, in that the Invictus is like the Camarilla and the
Toreador were always the heart of the Camarilla.

-Tremere-

VII, I think.

More seriously, the New Ventrue get the familial obligation and the
Mekhet get the arcane secrets.

-Tzimisce-

The New Ventrue got a serious shot of Tzimisce voivode, with the
addition of Animalism and subtraction of Presence. They're the feared
rulers of their domain.

Also, the Ordo Dracul Covenant.

-Ventrue-

New Ventrue, yeah.

All the clans are covered, to some extent, and save for the Gangrel,
even the clans with the same name seem broader than they were before.
--
Stephenls
Geek

> So far the Vampire stuff we've seen seems to concatenate a lot of good
> stuff from clans into a few groups, rather than doling out the quirks
> piecemeal so that characters were just a gimmick hung loosely on a
> rudimentary personality.
>
> For a start, much though I liked playing one, Vampire is greatly
> improved by not having Malkavians. 'I'm mad' is not a great character
> raison d'etre unless it's backed up by something more substantial than
> 'because I have to be'.
----------
Oh yes, I'll be glad to see the back of them: for one thing although a mad
vampire - like Drusilla from Buffy, for instance - is an interesting idea, a
whole clan of crazy licks is a bit too much; for another thing they always
seemed to be played as whackeee clownish types who dressed like Dr Who and
acted like those old "chaotic stupid" D&D characters.
Another clan I'll be glad to see go is the Assamites... Arab terrorists with
kewl ninja p0werz, as I've said elsewhere.

--
You are Not entering Chapeltown.
We walk on two legs, the one abstract
the other surreal.
All important political action should be
aimed at persuading people of the
necessity of further sacrifices.
- Ardian Vehbiu, "Handbook for
Aspiring Stalinists"

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:40:12 +0100, Charlie B
<msrfx@remove_to_mail.fsmail.net> wrote:
>For a start, much though I liked playing one, Vampire is greatly
>improved by not having Malkavians. 'I'm mad' is not a great character
>raison d'etre unless it's backed up by something more substantial than
>'because I have to be'.

I totally agree.

In fact, I think for me the real "Going to new Wod or Not" test will
be Werewolf. Maybe Mage, too.

Guillaume

Guillaume JAY <gjay_diespammer-die@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<bcuke0904vfm8hqh4qj7u5qimcjm3rrjrq@4ax.com>...
> On 30 Jun 2004 12:06:39 -0700, ewschill@hotmail.com (Triple E) wrote:
> >game. Sure, Revised was getting away from that, but this sounds a lot
> >better.
>
> It's better, I totally agree, but is it better enough ?
>
> I mean, I was hoping a WOD2.0, and it seems to me I'm getting
> a WOD1.1 . Okay, the toreador, gangrel and nosferatu clans are better
> written and more playable, the rules are simpler, but... I am
> beginning to think that it's too little, too late, not different
> enough. I'm too used to the old WOD to learn a "just a little better"
> WOD, it's going to be too tedious, trying to not mistake them because
> they're too similar.
>
> But, wait and see. Just, I was far more hopeful a month ago.

Pretty much seconded. But, like others have said, I think the real
test will be Werewolf and Mage. Why? The concept of all-powerful
Elders rising in Gehenna was, IMHO, never really all that central to
Vampire; you can easily ditch it without too much change, which is
what it seems they've done.

But, Werewolf is *very* much defined by the oncoming Apocalyse. Remove
that and you've got a Garou of a different color, indeed. I *would*
have said the same about Mage and Ascension, but Revised already tried
to excise that element from (with little success, I suppose, since
later books bent over backwards to bring back the Ascension War, or at
least make it a playable option again)...

BTW, have they said that they're *definitely* limited the Clan numbers
to 5? I find it hard to believe that they're not leaving the
background setting room to grow if they change their minds later on...

(Also, does the 5 Clan thing make anyone else think of Kindred: the
Embraced?^_~)

Dex