Sign in with
Your question

Accidently dropped videocard.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 12, 2012 2:12:41 AM

A couple months back I bought an HD 5570 to replace my HD 4350 (both LP), and I dropped the HD 4350 when trying to put it back in the box. It fell about 3 feet onto a carpet and I haven't used it ever since. There doesn't seem to be any damage done but I'm going to replace my 5570 with the 4350 soon due to PSU and overheating problems and I was wondering what is the worst that can happen if something is messed up with my videocard. Can it damage other components or short circuit the computer? Or will it just not work and display a black screen or something?
September 12, 2012 2:31:56 AM

PSU problems? How are you having problems with a 5570 with the PSU?

I dropped my 8800GT onto hardwood about 3 feet and it worked fine until it just died (old age).

Might as well try it. The 4350 isnt all that heavy. It couldn't have done that much damage. I've also dropped my 6950, and that still works fine.
September 12, 2012 2:43:47 AM

vaconcamp said:
A couple months back I bought an HD 5570 to replace my HD 4350 (both LP), and I dropped the HD 4350 when trying to put it back in the box. It fell about 3 feet onto a carpet and I haven't used it ever since. There doesn't seem to be any damage done but I'm going to replace my 5570 with the 4350 soon due to PSU and overheating problems and I was wondering what is the worst that can happen if something is messed up with my videocard. Can it damage other components or short circuit the computer? Or will it just not work and display a black screen or something?

It's extremely difficult to damage a GPU, either mechanically or eletrostatically. There's a 98% chance that it's just fine. However, if you're considering replacing a 5570 because it's overheating or not getting enough power you may have much bigger issues to worry about
Related resources
September 12, 2012 2:46:39 AM

Aside from the fan, there are no moving parts inside a video card. Unless the carpet caused a static discharge, or physical damage (piece(s) broken off) it should be fine.

Looking at images of the HD 4350LP, it's a tiny little thing without a fan at all. Dropping it certainly isn't a good event, but again it should be fine. (Dropping a high end heavy card would be disasterous however)
September 12, 2012 11:50:41 AM

Pinhedd said:
It's extremely difficult to damage a GPU, either mechanically or eletrostatically. There's a 98% chance that it's just fine. However, if you're considering replacing a 5570 because it's overheating or not getting enough power you may have much bigger issues to worry about

The only problem is that I've been using the 5570 for about a year on 250w psu and its 300 minimum and I'm getting worried that it's going to die soon. However the 4350 on my psu works fine with no heating issues.
September 12, 2012 3:28:38 PM

Well, you can change the PSU. And honestly it should probably run perfectly on that computer. I ran a 6670 on 225W.
!