Solved

$1000 build to run AutoCAD Revit 2013

I am looking to build a computer to run AutoCAD Revit 2013 and am looking to get it under $1000. My research tells me that the GPU is not as important in Revit as it mainly uses the CPU. I have upgraded the computers at my firm, but never built one from scratch, so I'm looking for some input. I've done some research and think the CPU I have chosen is the best value, but I want to make sure it's good with the other components, etc. I would appreciate any and all feedback.
Here is my proposed build:
$114.00 ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard mother board
$319.00 Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz cpu
$112.00 Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler cpu cooler
$59.00 COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case case
$80.00 16 gig Kingston HyperX 12800 ram
$139.00 GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics/video card
$110.00 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply power supply
$80.00 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD hard drive
$59.00 Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive data drive
$18.00 LITE-ON DVD Burner  dvd burner

$1,090.00
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1000 build autocad revit 2013
  1. looks good to me... but how cpu demanding is this program?

but yeah other than that nice system

one suggestion get the modular series of the psu its only like 10-20 more and will reduce clutter aka: heat

also i have the same case i would recommend eventually getting more fans for it because its decent with out extra fans but with more fans its a cooling machine :na:
  2. Thanks Panicmaster. Do you think I would do better with a cheaper CPU cooler?
  3. yeah... well actually if you can find a nice water cooling then get it but that one is the same as a 30$ hyper212+ but i recommend going to the water cooling section on this site and starting a thread about a nice one...

if you cant find one then get a hyper 212 evo and you should be fine, with that extra 80 you can get a little nice gpu or cpu though i dont think you need that nice of a gpu to run that program i think its mostly cpu
  4. thanks that is a good suggestion
  5. mavarch said:
    I am looking to build a computer to run AutoCAD Revit 2013 and am looking to get it under $1000. My research tells me that the GPU is not as important in Revit as it mainly uses the CPU. I have upgraded the computers at my firm, but never built one from scratch, so I'm looking for some input. I've done some research and think the CPU I have chosen is the best value, but I want to make sure it's good with the other components, etc. I would appreciate any and all feedback.
    Here is my proposed build:
    $114.00 ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard mother board
    $319.00 Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz cpu
    $112.00 Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler cpu cooler
    $59.00 COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case case
    $80.00 16 gig Kingston HyperX 12800 ram
    $139.00 GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics/video card
    $110.00 CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply power supply
    $80.00 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD hard drive
    $59.00 Hitachi GST Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive data drive
    $18.00 LITE-ON DVD Burner  dvd burner

$1,090.00

Seems more like a crippled gaming PC than an ACAD workstation. I could be wrong. Why not spring for a hexacore i7, rather than the the expensive Mobo, liquid cooler

I know the hexacore costs a buttload, but just making a suggestion.
  6. he does not need a nice gpu for the program... it is not a gpu intensive program at least not from what i hear, and for the hexacore i7 i dont think he needs it that much, it would be a nice touch that would help but i think the cpu he has now should work out just fine
  7. Best answer
    you know what if your only going to use it for work no games at all then alter these things

get 32gb ram +80

and windows 7 professional +X not sure what you were getting before

and then instead of getting a 650ti get a hd 7770 -20
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150598
    if you cant go any higher with the price then i think you can run off the onboard graphics on the 3770k

and if you really cant go more but want a nice grpahics(if you want to play games a little)
    then just get a hyper212+ or Hyper212 evo(these are cpu coolers)
  8. skidawgz said:
    Seems more like a crippled gaming PC than an ACAD workstation. I could be wrong. Why not spring for a hexacore i7, rather than the the expensive Mobo, liquid cooler

I know the hexacore costs a buttload, but just making a suggestion.

Thanks for the note skidawgz. I appreciate your suggestions. I did come up with a scenario with the I7 3930K Hex Core but is was $300 more, so I moved on. I felt like it would be bad to put in the nice cpu with the other components for whatever reason.. Could I get away with some other components that would be much cheaper to get this around $1000? I will not play any games on it except for the occasional online chess at chess.com. It is a work computer to run Revit 2013.
  9. Panicmaster,
    I like the suggestion to go to 32mb ram and get the Radeon HD 7770.
    Then you mentioned just going with the onboard graphics. Are you saying to not get a graphics card at all?
    thanks
  10. Is autocad revit the same as autocad ? Just asking because I know that my old man burnt out his 4870x2 running it and doing "light" visualization. I got him a 560 ti now and everything seems fine.
    I honestly don't suggest going with onboard graphics for ANYTHING other than microsoft office work.
  11. It is beyond me why i can never edit my own messages on this site so this is the continuation.....
    GTX 600 series are crippled when it comes to CUDA and doing your viewport visualization/shaders/materials, 500 series are better at this because nvidia didn't castrate them then :P
  12. Kiteohatto,
    thanks for the comments. Revit and AutoCAD are both made by Autodesk, but Revit is more for building information modeling and Autocad is more for drafting.
    So, What do you think about the Radeon HD 7770 GPU. I am thinking about a cheap GPU because revit mainly uses the CPU?
    thanks
  13. mavarch said:
    Kiteohatto,
    thanks for the comments. Revit and AutoCAD are both made by Autodesk, but Revit is more for building information modeling and Autocad is more for drafting.
    So, What do you think about the Radeon HD 7770 GPU. I am thinking about a cheap GPU because revit mainly uses the CPU?
    thanks

I really cant say anything about 7770, im using a 6950 for 3d work. My old man does electrical plans and stuff in autocad but still its not all cpu as one would think :)
  14. im still saying the onboard because look
    http://usa.autodesk.com/revit/system-requirements/

it says the requirements is low(like a onboard very bad onboard at that)

as for the 7770 it will work fine if you end up getting it but I would recommend using onboard if you can
  15. Best answer selected by mavarch.
  16. awesome :D glad you figured it out
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build CAD Systems Product