Computer Graphics compared to xbox360

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I want to know why graphics cards cost so much money?? And why is it that you have to own a pricey gpu to play games like Battlefield 3? But a Xbox360 with 5-6 year old tech (graphics card) can play it high resolution with no problems? I mean it seems like there is a new GPU every month but the tech in it just makes it suitable to play modern games, should computers be years ahead of xbox360? And it seems if xbox360 can play games like that it would drive the cost of a basic model to round $800?, which happens to be around the price of a newer gpu. You could buy 2 xbox360s for that price and have the same playablity? I just dont see the advantages to owing a computer gaming rig or super low cost consoles that play in high resoultion without liquid cooling, 5 huge fans or stuff like that. For the cost of a xbox360 your getting a machine that would cost yo $2500+ to build as a computer gaming rig? I just think with a market like computers have you would see farther reaches in gpu design and playablity then you would out of a $199 gaming system. I just built my rig in march and I paid $300 something for a Xfx 6870 HD 2Gb which is the price of a xbox360 itself but for some reason even wit top of the line parts computers have a hard time playing games in higher resoultions? it gets me, make me wonder how they build xbox360 and keep the price super low? let me know what you think maybe there is somethng im missing?

Solution
Most games on consoles don't actully play at 1080. BF3 is actually playing at 1280 x 704 on console and getting a fit to your screen. Consoles also tend to knock down and cap FPS to make games playable.

jstanley11

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Not sure if trolling or serious. BF3 at 1080p on my GTX 670 vs BF3 at 1080p on a Xbox 360 is a completely different experience. Plus computers can do far and away more than an Xbox 360.

anthonyorr

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Most games on consoles don't actully play at 1080. BF3 is actually playing at 1280 x 704 on console and getting a fit to your screen. Consoles also tend to knock down and cap FPS to make games playable.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
To my knowledge the 360 doesn't play BF3 at 1080P. It could barely handle GTA4 at 720. (they had to lower detail settings to get it to have enough power for even that.) As Anthonyorr mentioned if you are playing it at 1080 its being upscaled to that res. And as Zalhera mentioned the detail settings between the PC and 360 aren't even close. You should be able to drop the details down a ton and be able to play it on lower cards.

Finally, you can't compare the two directly. The 360 uses PowerPC cores in its CPU which I don't think are even x86 cores. The OS's are also very different. You are talking about two different beasts here.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Consoles can't even support native 1080p resolution. There's no comparison. I'm an honest owner of an xbox 360. I have no problem in admitting I'm too poor to afford a proper gaming rig. (I'm gonna end up having to use the money I've been saving up for one to help my parents pay THEIR damn car bill.) But anywho, back on the topic at hand, a gaming PC beats the Xbox 360 in graphics hands down. Here's a good youtube video explaining the key differences...it's also from a fairly credible source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVyrtcTpHw&playnext=1&list=PL91BACFB20EB7CC90&feature=results_video

Shivago

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
while xbox is good as far as consoles go. They are not as interchangeable as a gaming rig. what you see is what you get. It really doesnt leave much for the imagination. Your gaming rig, and to quote my compadre here, gaming rigs are far and away from the preformance of a console. consoles are the industries answer for people who cannot afford a gaming rig. your comparing ferari to volvo. if YOU could woudnt you?

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

battlefield 3 can be palyed at 1080p witha HD content Download to the hardrive only if you hav a HD larger then 4g can you downloadit to seeing it is a 2.2g file even if you have enough room on a 4g it still will not let you dl the HD cotent upgrade.

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I believ you guys when it comes to better graphics from a computer, but shouldnt omputers be on a whole another level seeing the tech is updatd monthly? I mean I can see the graphics upgrad on a xbobx360 just by using a HDMI cord instead of the good ole yellow red and white cord provided. But when the next gen xbox comes out its going to utilize blu-ra even tho mcrosoft really doesnt care for a sony product so the whole advantage to havinf a rig might just go under water. it is just hard to drop $2000 on a crossfire setup for my 3930k rig w/ Xfx Amd Radeon HD 6870 2Gb and Asrok x79 extreme 9 mobo. when you can buy a console that is some what comparable for 1/8 of the price. its like a buggati veyron with 1001rwhp and nissan GT-R with 800Rwhp your only getting a 20% push in horsepower for $800,000 more, to me it just isnt worth the money for a 15 to 20% advantage. BTW a nissan GT-r will kill a buggati veyron in a 1/4 mile and cost Almost a million less.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Well Xbox 360 has most games running at 720p @30FPS. There is a pretty big difference in graphic quality comparing Xbox 360 to PC but in terms of cost efficiency the Xbox 360 wins hand's down. The reason console games look so good with the hardware they have is optimization. Devolopers can just optimize the game on the Xbox 360 much more easily then working with Thousands of different PC hardware configurations. Hope this helps a bit!

zalhera

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Why the hell would you use x79 with only gaming in mind, anyway? You should have went with something like a 3570k then pump whatever you have left on a 680 or a 7970 and have enough left to buy yourself a nice cooler.

And if you are so concerned about pricing, it isn't totally out of this world to build a budget gaming PC that will outperform any console in this generation for only $500, give or take a few.

And technology isn't updated monthly. New cards come out, sure, but they aren't new technology.

evan1715

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
games are optimized for the 360 because they're all the same hardware and pc is very different per computer.
console contains 7+ year old technology. in 7 years LED screens and smartphones became mainstream (example of tech difference)
360 upscales to 1080, doesnt create 1080.
PC has more dynamic shadowing, lights, anti aliasing and higher fps. the fine details are different.

also gt-r stock is 550hp

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Are you serious OP. Here are the main differences between consoles and PC:

- Consoles run at 1024x768 (DVD res) or 720p and are upscaled to 1080p. They don't have the balls to run natively no tricks at 1080p.

- Textures are vastly reduced compared to PC. Look close, they are blurred on a console.

- There is no draw distance

- There is no FOV adjusment

- There is overuse of bloom to smear the graphics and hide the lack of AA, and the lack of any filtering

- Forget fancy shadows, SSAO, advanced lighting, Direct X 11.

- Levels in all games now are reduced in scope and size due to lack of memory on consoles

On top of all that a $1000 PC will smash any console and be useful for at least 2yrs without upgrades.

Consoles are trash, rubbish, junk. You don't know what you are missing.

EDIT: $300 for a 6870 in March, you were ripped. You also bought an ageing mid range card. Next time choose parts that will last.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Btw the veyron is quicker in 1/4 mile drag. Although there are plenty of other stock cars around the price of a GT-R that will beat it.

I hate using car analogy's to refer to refer to pc's and it seems your misunderstanding of the automotive world has infected your understanding of the computing world....

Im fairly certain you don't own a Nissan GT-R or a Bugatti Veyron so what gives you the right to say which is better?

The same goes for computing, you havent seen the potential of a decent set up yet so you are in no position to complain...

fudoka711

Distinguished
Man this thread is making me laugh.

To put it simply: PC's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>*infinity + 1 >>> Console.

Seriously guys, think about it. PHONES have nearly the same quality as an xbox 360 now.

PHONES!

Ok, i made my point. I hope.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

:lol: LOL sorry ill rephrase that for anyone thought I was referring to human rights:

Im fairly certain you don't own a Nissan GT-R or a Bugatti Veyron so what makes you think that you know which is better?

4745454b

Titan
I wouldn't say that consoles are rubbish junk. They are cheap, and do allow you to play great games. They also double as dvd players and can surf the web now. I don't own a console and don't like them, but they do have a purpose which they do rather well.

WILDLEGHORN

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

CXxHK.jpg

THAT'S ALL

supersonic977

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
when I run games on my rig with consoles graphics (720P + medium to low settings) I get 120++ fps while consoles target is to get only 30 fps which really isn't bearable at least for me. when I play a game on my pc and then play the same game on a console I feel like I moved to the stone age

spat55

Distinguished
My pc can play games, music, movies, internet, and without being stuck to one platform, all for £750, I could make one to do that for £500 but I rather have more power. When the new XBOX is here it'll be £400 and they brake easily :lol:

DeusAres

Distinguished

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.