Sign in with
Your question

Need Help on first build, Video editing + CAD

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 2:04:39 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum after lurking for a week. I'm building my first desktop after having used a dual core laptop for so long. It has been working out fine, but I've recently been getting into Gopro HD video editing and I also do a bit of CAD work for school.

So here it is:
Approximate Purchase Date: In a few weeks

Budget Range: ~1000-1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing (Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Solidworks (CAD) and Keyshot Rendering, Multitasking with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Indesign, Illustrator, Watching videos, etc. I often need to work with all of them at the same time.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade:
All

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Anything not shady.

Parts Preferences: Intel i7, Nvidia Graphics - for Adobe Premiere + Aftereffects

Overclocking: Maybe, is it necessary for videoediting?

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2x 1920x1080

Additional Comments: The quieter the better, but not the most important

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Ive been using a core 2 duo 2.20ghz for all the uses stated above with 3gb ram and it struggles sometimes.

I did some research myself and these are the components I have chosen so far, but I am not completely sure. I Just want to make sure that all these components will work together. Any input is appreciated.
Editing this as I get feedback!

The simple list:
i7 3770k
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
EVGA GTX 550 Ti
PNY Quadro 600
WD Blue 1TB
Samsung 830 128GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212
Apevia 500W supply
NZXT Phantom 410

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K - $319.99
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - $105
PNY VCQ600-PB Quadro 600 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card - $150
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 - $79.99
APEVIA ATX-CW500WP4 500W ATX Power Supply $39.99, $20 after rebate.
NZXT Phantom 410 CA-PH410-B3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Orange Trim Computer Case
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - $30

And of course,
Arctic SIlver

I'm new to building computers, any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks
November 8, 2012 2:30:57 AM

The RAM you chose is quad-channel while your motherboard is dual-channel. I suggest getting a 2x8gb RAM kit.

Motherboard is overpriced. Well, nothing new with ASUS.

GPU is...overpriced as well. Are you sure you want nVidia?

I suggest OCZ Vertex 4 128gb for your SSD, then a 1TB Caviar Blue for your storage drive. Only reason to get Black is for the 5-year warranty, so it's your call.

PSU wattage size is a bit on the edge, I suggest gettign 500-550w.
m
l
November 8, 2012 3:06:29 AM

I see, what motherboard would you suggest? The extra USB 3.0s would be nice since I will be using external hard drives for some of the video files.

Adobe Premiere and Aftereffects uses nVidia cards for the mercury playback engine, and I believe it is exclusive to nVidia cards. after a little more research, the card might be overkill. Mercury Playback is only supported by nvidia's high end cards, but can easily be hacked with line of text to work with other cards.

I'll keep looking, thanks.

Also, looking for suggestions for a CPU cooler.
m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 7:27:07 AM

Yeah you will want a 550 watt power supply, it looks like Newegg is out of the Rosewill Capstone Gold 550w modular (same PSU I have), but Amazon still has a few for about $15 more. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BUST0O/?tag=pcpapi-20

There are a lot of Z77 motherboards that cost less than $200, here is an Asus for $140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The 560 TIs are expensive ($2-300) for generally having 384 Cuda Cores. You could get a 660 TI for $300 that has 1344 Cuda cores. here is just one example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I agree with excella on the Hyper 212 Evo for the cpu cooler, it's a good one for not alot of money. Optionally you could pick up some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, it's generally regarded as the best. Or can just use what comes with the cooler its no big deal.

For SSDs, I would say either Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4. I am personally trying to snag a Samsung 830 256gb if they come on sale again! Samsung makes all the components that go into them so I sort of like that even though it might not make much difference.

One more thing, I noticed the memory you selected is red in color. I like to match my memory sticks color with the board. So if I have a blue Asus motherboard I'll get blue RAM. On a black ASrock board i'll get black RAM. Corsair makes a lot of blue and black memory sticks. I do like and would suggest the same specs as the memory you had selected, which is 1600mhz with 9 latency. But 10 latency is fine too there is very little difference, as long as they are 1600mhz thats what you want.
m
l
November 8, 2012 8:29:43 PM

Thank you guys for the reply. This is really helping me out alot. I have made a few changes, which can be found on the original post. New components that I chose were

WD Blue instead of Black
Geforce GTX 550 Ti - instead of 560 Ti for about half the price. I did a little more research and it seems the GTX 550 would be enough for the editing I'm doing. Still looking into that though.

Quadro 600
I read somewhere that it is possible to use a GTX card and a Quadro card in the same system. Can anyone confirm this? If its possible, how does it work? Does it just work on the screen that you're doing the type of work on? ex. CAD on the monitor connected to the quadro?
For $150 bucks, the entry level quadro 600 card is supposed to be 5x better for CAD than the Gtx 680. I think this might be a good balance for both. Does anyone have any experience with using a quadro and GTX?

If i were to do both a GTX and a Quadro card, would I have to look for a new motherboard that has 2x PCIe 2x 16?

Corsair Vengeance 16GB, (2x8GB), Cas = 10 Black, Matches the board.
Link above.

For the board, I decided to go with the ASRock Extreme 6. I don't know how much I'm really going to overclock it, But I think i'd like the option to if i needed to. Still looking into that.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 for the CPU cooler. Is this good for OC?

Samsung 830 128GB - $90

PSU - Apevia ATX 500W - $40, $20 after rebate - for $20 and good ratings, why not? Is there a reason to get a more expensive one?
You guys suggested more wattage, but I went from a 560 Ti to 550 Ti, which is 100 watts less, Plus 42 Watts for Quadro 600, So is 500Watts enough?

Everything included, a total of $1281

How does this look so far?
m
l
November 8, 2012 11:07:59 PM

Don't bother with the 550 Ti anymore then(or any GeForce for that matter). You don't need it for your system usage; it's a gaming line.

The sweet spot for CL seems to be 9, so if it won't hurt the budget much, try looking into that.

Yes, 212 is good for up to 4.2GHz OC.

I don't know much about Apevia. I haven't even really seen anyone suggest it either. The only reason I can give to get other brands(not necessarily more expensive) is for safety. A more reputable manufacturer gives higher assurance that the PSU won't fail and fry your components.
m
l
November 9, 2012 12:55:12 AM

I guess I'll keep looking around for a better power supply and the memory. How much difference does the CL really make?

The reason why I also wanted the geforce is for video editing. I use Adobe Premiere pro and After effects which takes advantage of cuda. From what I have found, most video editing builds recommend a GTX card because of its performance for price for that use. Even a lower end geforce card provides up to 10x faster video preview rendering. It allows for color correction and effects rendering in real time. Without GPU acceleration, a preview would be very jumpy around 1 fps, even my GT 130M with 32 cuda cores on my laptop makes a very noticeable difference, but I'd like it to be a bit better. The 550 Ti would make a significant difference for only $100.

Its hard to decide since CAD and Video editing require very different cards. I was hoping someone has had experience with this. It seems most builds recommend choosing one over the other.

So does anyone know if both a geforce and quadro card can be used at the same time?

thanks

m
l
!