V:TR - Morality Systems?

According to the character sheet that's been released for V:TR, it seems as
if there will indeed be some kind of morality system present.

From the news that's been leaked so far, will the Beast and the degeneration
systems from V:TM have analogues in V:TR?

One of my gripes with V:TM was that the morality systems weren't threatening
enough. In V:TM, morality was initially emphasized as a big part of the
night to night life of vampires - a survival of the soul vs survival of the
body issue. Alas, nearly every LARP and TT game I've been in has ignored or
sidestepped the issue. I've not seen one NPC in the published books nor one
PC in any game I've been in ever even go below 4 in their Humanity/Paths.
I've even heard players bitterly complain that "vampires should be free to
do as they choose" and "why do I need to be saddled with this whiny angsty
BS." Some other gamers (like me) love the moral struggle, although I do
enjoy playing monstrous characters from time to time. Either way, it's all
good.

Now, I'm all for Kindred in V:TR being unchecked predators and demigods of
the night, if that's what they set out to do at the outset, or being fearful
of devolving into a slavering monster if they indulge in their bestial
nature just a jot. I just want the game to be straight about what the
vision is from the outset, instead of the wavering that we got in V:TM
during it's various editions.

I'm rather interested in V:TR's take on this. How much of an issue will
moral struggle be in the new game? Do we have any clues?

Best,

CB

Intelligroove wrote:

> According to the character sheet that's been released for V:TR, it seems as
> if there will indeed be some kind of morality system present.

> From the news that's been leaked so far, will the Beast and the degeneration
> systems from V:TM have analogues in V:TR?

<snip>

> I'm rather interested in V:TR's take on this. How much of an issue will
> moral struggle be in the new game? Do we have any clues?

We know that mortals will use Morality, while vampires will have a
Humanity stat. According to Justin, "It's easier to be human than to
fake being human."

There aren't any paths in V:tR, and Justin a) has no plans to introduce
them, and b) hopes nobody introduces them in the future. Vampires just
use Humanity, and that's it.

It seems to me that the strength of the Beast will be a function of
Blood Potency as well as Humanity. The concept of "Paths of
Enlightenment" are actually somewhat folded into the covenants, which
function, in a lot of ways, like Roads from Dark Ages: Vampire. (Or at
least the Ordo Dracul seems to.)
--
Stephenls
Geek

"Stephenls" <stephenls@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Intelligroove wrote:
>
> > According to the character sheet that's been released for V:TR, it seems
as
> > if there will indeed be some kind of morality system present.
>
> > From the news that's been leaked so far, will the Beast and the
degeneration
> > systems from V:TM have analogues in V:TR?
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm rather interested in V:TR's take on this. How much of an issue will
> > moral struggle be in the new game? Do we have any clues?
>
> We know that mortals will use Morality, while vampires will have a
> Humanity stat. According to Justin, "It's easier to be human than to
> fake being human."
>
> There aren't any paths in V:tR, and Justin a) has no plans to introduce
> them, and b) hopes nobody introduces them in the future. Vampires just
> use Humanity, and that's it.

Perhaps there will be some alternate takes on Humanity. After all, it's
possible to be a pretty twisted bastard and still be fundamentally human in
one's outlook. ;)

- David Prokopetz.

> > According to the character sheet that's been released for V:TR, it seems
as
> > if there will indeed be some kind of morality system present.
>
> > From the news that's been leaked so far, will the Beast and the
degeneration
> > systems from V:TM have analogues in V:TR?
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm rather interested in V:TR's take on this. How much of an issue will
> > moral struggle be in the new game? Do we have any clues?
>
> We know that mortals will use Morality, while vampires will have a
> Humanity stat. According to Justin, "It's easier to be human than to
> fake being human."

Thanks for the news, Stephenls.

> There aren't any paths in V:tR, and Justin a) has no plans to introduce
> them, and b) hopes nobody introduces them in the future. Vampires just
> use Humanity, and that's it.

Thank Zhod. Paths were one of the biggest gamebreakers for V:TM.

> It seems to me that the strength of the Beast will be a function of
> Blood Potency as well as Humanity. The concept of "Paths of
> Enlightenment" are actually somewhat folded into the covenants, which
> function, in a lot of ways, like Roads from Dark Ages: Vampire. (Or at
> least the Ordo Dracul seems to.)

It will be interesting to see how they interact with the equivalent of the
blood pool stat, if I'm reading this right. I remember reading that as
Blood Potency grows too great, it becomes more difficult for Vampires to
feed, and one of the ways to reduce Blood Potency was to enter voluntary
torpor, letting the blood naturally thin.

I always felt that while the Paths were interesting takes on Vampire
philosophy, they should have been more of a backstory thing that were
expressed in roleplay, as opposed to game mechanics.

CB

"Intelligroove" <kaiu_keiichi@nospam.com> wrote:

> One of my gripes with V:TM was that the morality systems weren't threatening
> enough. In V:TM, morality was initially emphasized as a big part of the
> night to night life of vampires - a survival of the soul vs survival of the
> body issue. Alas, nearly every LARP and TT game I've been in has ignored or
> sidestepped the issue.

One of the players in my VA:V chronicle roleplayed the rapid loss of
his Humanity (dropped from the initial 7 quite quickly due to Dominate
excesses) and subsequent adoption of the Path of Power and the Inner
Voice. So, it's not always sidestepped.

His Ventrue had Conscience 0 and Humanity 1 before he finally
succeeded in the rolls required to adopt a new Path. We were all very
conscious of how close he was to losing the character to complete
degeneracy.

Dominate is probably the easiest way to violate the Hierarchy of Sins,
in my experience. Mere violence only goes so far.

--
james o'rance
http://www.livejournal.com/~sim_james