Photoshop CS & Camera Raw defaults

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 11, 2005 11:31:16 AM

I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to adjust the
"Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to configure Photoshop CS
so that it will automatically set it for any raw files for this lens?

Thanks...
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 7:00:30 PM

"billh" <billh@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to
>adjust the "Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to
>configure Photoshop CS so that it will automatically set it
>for any raw files for this lens?

Yes, you can. Search in the Help file for:
"Saving, applying, and updating Photoshop Camera Raw settings"

It is all described there.

Bart
February 11, 2005 7:00:31 PM

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

> "billh" <billh@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>
>> I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to
>> adjust the "Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to
>> configure Photoshop CS so that it will automatically set it
>> for any raw files for this lens?
>

> Yes, you can. Search in the Help file for:
> "Saving, applying, and updating Photoshop Camera Raw settings"

The problem is, if you have a zoom lens, it will be different for each
step. I believe you can save off lens settings for various lenses and
such but it'll get pretty complicated with zoom.
Related resources
February 11, 2005 8:27:15 PM

Bart van der Wolf wrote:

> "billh" <billh@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> >I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to
> >adjust the "Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to
> >configure Photoshop CS so that it will automatically set it
> >for any raw files for this lens?
>
> Yes, you can. Search in the Help file for:
> "Saving, applying, and updating Photoshop Camera Raw settings"
>
> It is all described there.

Bart... I had previously figured out the procedure as described
in the help. I was hoping that Photoshop would have a feature
where, given a set of raw files, I could just Select a bunch of
files and click on a "Apply Raw Settings based on EXIF Lens info".
The current method, I have to go through each image, determine
which files are from the 17-40L lens and then apply the settings.
I was hoping for a more automated procedure.

Thanks for the reply...

Bill
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:39:06 PM

billh wrote:
> I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to adjust the
> "Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to configure Photoshop CS
> so that it will automatically set it for any raw files for this lens?
>
> Thanks...

Ask yourself how will the program know which lens you used and you might
decide another RAW converter which is lens specific might just be a
better idea. DxO Optics Pro comes to mind.

Doug
February 12, 2005 8:51:47 PM

You can set up PS CS to batch process selected files the same
way....maybe you can check out that feature. I did it some time back
for some files, but cannot recall the correct jargon (or exactly how I
did it) as I don't use it oten enough.

Alan

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:27:15 GMT, billh <billh@nospamatt.net> wrote:

>Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>
>> "billh" <billh@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
>> >I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to
>> >adjust the "Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to
>> >configure Photoshop CS so that it will automatically set it
>> >for any raw files for this lens?
>>
>> Yes, you can. Search in the Help file for:
>> "Saving, applying, and updating Photoshop Camera Raw settings"
>>
>> It is all described there.
>
>Bart... I had previously figured out the procedure as described
>in the help. I was hoping that Photoshop would have a feature
>where, given a set of raw files, I could just Select a bunch of
>files and click on a "Apply Raw Settings based on EXIF Lens info".
>The current method, I have to go through each image, determine
>which files are from the 17-40L lens and then apply the settings.
>I was hoping for a more automated procedure.
>
>Thanks for the reply...
>
>Bill
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:59:48 PM

Ryadia <ryadia@hotmail.com> writes:

> billh wrote:
> > I just bought a Canon 17-40L lens and found that I need to adjust the
> > "Chromatic Aberration R/C". Is there a way to configure Photoshop CS
> > so that it will automatically set it for any raw files for this lens?
> > Thanks...
> >
> Ask yourself how will the program know which lens you used

By reading the maximum and minimum focal length, and maximum and
minimum aperture, which are all stored in the CRW file.

--
-Stephen H. Westin