Sign in with
Your question

Switch between Wireless and Wired to same router

Last response: in Networking
October 27, 2011 9:36:49 PM

Hello, I have a router and a PC laptop with both wired and wireless adapters.

I want the PC to have a static IP of 192.168.1.10 and I want to be able to use wireless normally but be able to plug it in and switch over to wired when I want a higher data rate.

I thought this would be as easy as disabling the wireless adapter and enabling the ethernet adapter, however when I configure both adapters with the static ip (or different ones) and set 192.168.1.1 as the gateway on both, Windows blanks out the gateway address when I enable the adapter and will not connect.

I found if I configure the ethernet adapter as dhcp and disable it and configure the wireless adapter as static and enable it, that the wireless connection works fine and can access my DNS, however when I configure the wireless as dhcp and disable it, and configure the ethernet adapter as static and enable it, that it will connect to the internet but cannot access my DNS. If I ping the DNS it returns "Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination net unreachable". If I then reboot the router, the connection is reestablished and the DNS is reachable.

The same thing happens with the wired network after a reboot of the router, if I unplug the cable and reconnect it. The connection is reestablished without DNS, and I have to reboot the router again.

If I disable the ethernet adapter and configure it as dhcp, when it is in that no DNS state, and then configure the the wireless adapter as static and enable it, the wireless connnection is activated with DNS access and no router reboot is required.

I have no idea why the gateway address is rejected when I configure both adapters the same way, but only enable one of them, but resetting one of them to dhcp, before configuring the other one as static has avoided that problem. How do I solve the second problem of re-establishing the DNS connection when switching to wired. I'm running W7-64.
October 28, 2011 7:31:31 PM

Have you tried just assigning the static ip on the router to the mac address of the adapter you want it on, and leaving the network adapters set to dhcp. You should be able to configure that fairly easily, and whenever you connect an Ethernet cable windows will automatically want to use the wired connection.
m
l
October 29, 2011 3:49:47 PM

tomatthe said:
Have you tried just assigning the static ip on the router to the mac address of the adapter you want it on, and leaving the network adapters set to dhcp. You should be able to configure that fairly easily, and whenever you connect an Ethernet cable windows will automatically want to use the wired connection.

I see no way to do that. There are no mac/static ip tables on the router or pc configuration windows.

Can you tell me how you do this?
m
l
Related resources
October 30, 2011 7:08:30 PM

What router are you using? I have never seen a router that did not have this as an option.
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:56:56 AM

Even if I could do that, it won't meet my requirement to have the PC always have a static address of 192.168.1.10 regardless of the network adapter it is conected thru. Surely one should be able to do that without having to reboot the router.
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:05:17 AM

jhb50 said:
Even if I could do that, it won't meet my requirement to have the PC always have a static address of 192.168.1.10 regardless of the network adapter it is conected thru. Surely one should be able to do that without having to reboot the router.

Don't think you can since assigning the same static IP to 2 different adapters would cause problems and the router does not know you are switching between them as far as it is concerned there are 2 separate systems trying to use the same static IP which it will not let happen.
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:18:32 AM

Yes but that's why I disable one before enabling the other so there are never 2 active. The router can switch from wired to wireless fine so it should not be a problem to go from wireless to wired.

My router is an Actiontec GT-704-WG
m
l
November 1, 2011 2:26:26 AM

jhb50 said:
Yes but that's why I disable one before enabling the other so there are never 2 active. The router can switch from wired to wireless fine so it should not be a problem to go from wireless to wired.

My router is an Actiontec GT-704-WG

But the router has the routing table stored so that whichever is initilized first is the only device that can use that IP It doesn't know that you just switched between wired and wireless it sees that IP assigned to a device already and then a second device trying to obtain that IP and it can not let both have it until the router is rebooted to clear and rebuild the table!
m
l
November 1, 2011 10:57:17 AM

What are you working toward by having both adapters use the same ip, just to help think through this one a bit. I didn't realize you needed the same ip on both adapters, I thought you just needed a static ip on both of them.

As JDFan said this is going to cause all sorts of issues, regardless of disabling one adapter before enabling the other.
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:00:27 PM

First to JD:
Thanks JDFan. That makes sense to me, but why then can it switch from Wired to Wireless, with no problem?

I am using a script to do these switches using netsh and devcon commands. Is there any command that will tell the router or trick the router into clearing the routing table? I had thought that disabling the device would do it.

I tried using ROUTE -f to clear the table before enabling the wired adapter but I seem to have lost all ability to connect to the router after I do that and need to reboot the PC.

TO Tomatthe: I am using my Laptop PC 192.168.1.10 as a server to my WII at 192.168.1.11 and to my TV and BR player for DLNA. The WII software needs the PC static IP for SMB access to my PC files, and the DLNA server is identified to the DLNA clients via its static ip. Similarly both servers need access to the internet for streaming online content so I need the DNS access when I switch to wired mode as well.

When the file I am streaming has a bitrate higher than what the wireless is capable of ie: 1080p video I need to switch over to a wired LAN for that, but normally I want my laptop connected to the router via wireless for portability.
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:12:15 PM

It might be possible to do this by bridging the connections, but I think that would create a lot of security issues since you use those connections to access the internet. It may be worth testing just to see if that would work though.
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:17:21 PM

tomatthe said:
It might be possible to do this by bridging the connections, but I think that would create a lot of security issues since you use those connections to access the internet. It may be worth testing just to see if that would work though.

Another possible option to keep the security level would be to get a cheap desktop system (wouldn't need anything fancy) to use as the server instead of using the laptop.
m
l
November 1, 2011 7:34:21 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like I will have to keep booting the router when going to wired. Sure would be nice to understand why it works without rebooting when going back to wireless.
m
l
!