Sign in with
Your question

Compatibity Cheack needed

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 7:46:08 AM

Hi Chaps, done a lot of research and decided on the components I want for my 1st build, only thing is compatibility, having a hard time figuring this out for myself so if anyone has a mo to check that would be great.

Also, would all the wires/connectors I need come with everything I'm going to order?

The build list:

Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive

Sony AD-5280S-0B DVD±RW 24x SATA Drive with Dust Protected Enclosure and Emergency Eject

Asustek Xonar Essence STX 2 Channel PCI Express Audio Card

Corsair AX750 Professional Series 750W AX ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold PSU

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

Logitech C270 HD Webcam Purple Pebbles

Cooler Master Tower HAF 922 with Transparent Side Panel

EVGA GF GTX 680 SC 2GB GDDR5 Signature 2 Graphics Card

Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, Bluetooth v4.0, Intel Z77 Express, SLI/CrossFireX Support, LudicLogix Virtu MVP)

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000: wireless keyboard , mouse

Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1866C​9R LP Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Two Module Kit

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User

Samsung S24B370HS 24 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 2ms, HDMI/VGA)

November 8, 2012 8:18:07 AM

Everything should fit.
Though I would get a 670 or a 7970GHz instead of a 680. The 680 is a very overpriced card for its performance(it's only a 5% increase from the 670).

PSU is a bit expensive. There isn't much difference between Bronze and Gold certifications btw.
November 8, 2012 8:24:33 AM

I don't recommend a Caviar Black hard drive if you're using an SSD. It won't really perform any better realistically than a much cheaper Caviar Blue.

Also, I don't recommend that motherboard. It's way overpriced. If you want such an expensive board, then I suggest this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Similar price, but it's integrated sound is so good that you shouldn't need a sound card even if you're a sound nut and it's much better rated.I agree with above post, the 680 is overpriced, I recommend that you get a decent 670 or 7970/7970 GHz Edition instead.

However, all of your components are compatible.
Related resources
November 8, 2012 11:08:51 AM

That gigabyte is nice but the Asus is about £80 cheaper, also I've done quite a bit of reading and I feel the Soundcard is worth the spend, I mostly use headphones. Doesn't really matter about the HDD, it's mostly for storage and to play older games off so Blue/black, no bother, my main concern is quality and reliability with them.

I'm a bit of a texture freak and even a small increase in AF/AA ability is something I'll look at, besides the 670 I had been looking at is only about £70 cheaper than this 680, a price I'm willing to pay for performance boost, the Radeon cards just don't seem to match the 680 for price/performance in this area, speed maybe, but not AF/AA.

Pleased to know all the components are good to go, thanks for taking the time to respond (to you both), I will take the comments on board about the alternatives and make sure I'm still happy with my selection.

Cheers

Roach

P.S. Anything I've missed, component/accessory that I might need?
November 8, 2012 11:26:36 AM

Roach75 said:
That gigabyte is nice but the Asus is about £80 cheaper, also I've done quite a bit of reading and I feel the Soundcard is worth the spend, I mostly use headphones. Doesn't really matter about the HDD, it's mostly for storage and to play older games off so Blue/black, no bother, my main concern is quality and reliability with them.

I'm a bit of a texture freak and even a small increase in AF/AA ability is something I'll look at, besides the 670 I had been looking at is only about £70 cheaper than this 680, a price I'm willing to pay for performance boost, the Radeon cards just don't seem to match the 680 for price/performance in this area, speed maybe, but not AF/AA.

Pleased to know all the components are good to go, thanks for taking the time to respond (to you both), I will take the comments on board about the alternatives and make sure I'm still happy with my selection.

Cheers

Roach

P.S. Anything I've missed, component/accessory that I might need?

AMD generally beats Nvidia in AF/AA performance, just so you know.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you're going off UK currency; in the USA the Asus is more expensive, not cheaper.

That's why I suggested the Blue; it's still reliable, but it's much cheaper.

Trust me, the 680 is not worth the price hike over the 670. A decent non-reference 670 such as the Zotac AMP! will slightly beat your GTX 680 choice in performance while using a good deal less power and being much cheaper. The difference in performance between 670 and 680 also shrinks as you increase the level of AA if you use MSAA or CSAA (which are far superior to that FXAA crap) and AMD's cards also work especially well with MSAA and CSAA.

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr...
This 7970 is generally faster than the 680 and the 670 while only costing a mere £280.55.

Even faster is this 7970 GHz Edition for £347.75, quite pssibly the fastest graphics card that you can get with a single GPU for most gaming workloads.

Of the 670s, this one will top pretty much any 680:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/zotac-video-card-zt6030...
All for a £347.60. It won't best the 7970s above, but if you want a Nvidia card, it may be your best option.
November 8, 2012 11:52:06 AM

blazorthon said:
AMD generally beats Nvidia in AF/AA performance, just so you know.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you're going off UK currency; in the USA the Asus is more expensive, not cheaper.

That's why I suggested the Blue; it's still reliable, but it's much cheaper.

Trust me, the 680 is not worth the price hike over the 670. A decent non-reference 670 such as the Zotac AMP! will slightly beat your GTX 680 choice in performance while using a good deal less power and being much cheaper. The difference in performance between 670 and 680 also shrinks as you increase the level of AA if you use MSAA or CSAA (which are far superior to that FXAA crap) and AMD's cards also work especially well with MSAA and CSAA.

This 7970 is generally faster than the 680 and the 670 while only costing a mere £280.55.

Even faster is this 7970 GHz Edition for £347.75, quite pssibly the fastest graphics card that you can get with a single GPU for most gaming workloads.

Of the 670s, this one will top pretty much any 680:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/zotac-video-card-zt6030...
All for a £347.60. It won't best the 7970s above, but if you want a Nvidia card, it may be your best option.

Stats :pt1cable: 

I've been reading up on this issue for ages, not that I don't believe you, just my choice has to be the best quality/performance I can afford, as this is a once in 6-10 year purchase. If you have any links to demonstrate this I'd be interested to read them, although I'll start googling again now :sweat: 

November 8, 2012 11:58:40 AM

Roach75 said:
Stats :pt1cable: 

I've been reading up on this issue for ages, not that I don't believe you, just my choice has to be the best quality/performance I can afford, as this is a once in 6-10 year purchase. If you have any links to demonstrate this I'd be interested to read them, although I'll start googling again now :sweat: 

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

My first 7970 suggestion performs like a 7970 thanks to its large factory overclock and the 7970 GHz Edition that I suggested beats the regular 7970 GHz Edition and my 7970 suggestion by a good ~10%. The only resolution that supported Nvidia over AMD was little 1280x800... All of the other resolutions such as 1080p and up gave the win to AMD.

Any "stats" that you're reading that supports Nvidia is probably using old drivers and thus outdated and not relevant anymore. If you overclock, AMD's superior overclocking capability increases AMD's win a little.
November 8, 2012 12:04:37 PM

interesting 1st look at that link, I assume it's as compatible so budget wise can be up around £380, is there any best Radeon card manufacturer and will my power supply still do for this card?
November 8, 2012 12:08:28 PM

Roach75 said:
interesting 1st look at that link, I assume it's as compatible so budget wise can be up around £380, is there any best Radeon card manufacturer and will my power supply still do for this card?

There isn't really a best, who has the best kinda trades places. Right now, for a mix of low noise, high performance, and low price, Gigabyte's Radeon 79xx WindForce cards really do very well.

Yes, it's compatible.

Your power supply is actually arguably overkill.

You can increase your budget all you want, you won't get a faster card than that 7970 GHz Edition. It may be cheap, but it's pretty much the king despite its excellent pricing. It is the fastest single GPU card known to pcpricepicker.com/uk.
November 8, 2012 12:13:14 PM

ok, will digest the info, thanks
November 8, 2012 12:13:57 PM

Glad to help.
November 8, 2012 1:12:09 PM

Been having a look at more stats, and I see what you mean, this article in particular has been a very enlightening read:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...

no wonder I've been having trouble deciding which was better over the last few months!

Which should I go for:

Sapphire 11197-06-40G HD7970 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

or

Gigabyte 7970 3GB AMD Radeon Graphics Card.

or

Sapphire HD 7970 VAPOR-X GHZ 3072MB GDDR5

or other?
November 8, 2012 2:01:22 PM

Gigabyte WindForce Radeon 7970 GHz Edition (my second 7970 suggestion) is the fastest card available to you through that site with a single GPU and possibly the fastest single GPU card available to you from anywhere.

The Vapor-X is another great card too.
November 8, 2012 4:07:01 PM

Nuts! Just looked at the boxes, it's not the GHZ version is it? Will have to cancel order
November 8, 2012 4:08:12 PM

No, that's not the same as my second suggestion, that's the same as my first suggestion. You're right, it's not the GHz Edition model. It's still an excellent deal with all of those freebies.
November 8, 2012 4:29:41 PM

That's just a 7950. Good for overclocking, but it's a lot weaker at stock.
November 8, 2012 5:07:48 PM

got the GHZ edition on order, hope to get the other cancelled before it ships, Overclockers have always given good service to me before though, getting the SSD and Soundcard from them still.
!