Sign in with
Your question

Strange problems

Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 8:55:36 AM

Hi,

I have a strange reproducible problem with my new build PC. Specs are as follows:

CPU: 3770k
Mobo: P8Z77-V
HDD: Samsung 830 SDD / Seagate Barracuda 2GB SATA3 / WD Green 1GB SATA 2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1866 cas10 , running at 1600 currently
GPU: MSI GTX 670, Driver ver 306.97
PSU: Corsair TX750M

Bit of history:
Had to RMA the mobo due to DRAM POST issues. Two DIMM slots malfunctioning, board wouldn't post with RAM in either A1 or A2 slot. B1 and B2 POSTed fine.

Sent the CPU, RAM, Mobo off to retailer. They replaced the mobo without testing, sent the RAM and CPU back saying that they were fine, as they post and display in another board. I had wanted more of a test, and they didn't even clean their thermal paste of my CPU but never mind - mobo replaced.

Anyway, got the lot back yesterday, with new board. Put together, posted (yay!). Fired up a game (Just Cause 2), 2 mins in, crash. Try again, crash. Rinse, repeat, crash.

Error logs for crashes below (most recent first):

Faulting application name: JustCause2.exe, version: 1.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x4c1b5791
Faulting module name: JustCause2.exe, version: 1.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x4c1b5791
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x004e1d4a
Faulting process ID: 0xdc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbd916eae0671
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Just Cause 2\JustCause2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Just Cause 2\JustCause2.exe
Report ID: f4a5fd74-2984-11e2-be6d-c86000df195b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: JustCause2.exe, version: 1.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x4c1b5791
Fault offset: 0x004e1d5e
Faulting process ID: 0xd90
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbd456996e795
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Just Cause 2\JustCause2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Just Cause 2\JustCause2.exe
Report ID: 06ef5dd3-2939-11e2-be6c-c86000df195b

Fault offset: 0x004e1d4a
Faulting process ID: 0xa0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbd43187acfc3
Report ID: b16e1946-2936-11e2-be6c-c86000df195b

First thing to note is the startling similarity in the fault offset. I do not know what a fault offset is, but I'm assuming it's the address that the fault originated from.

I formatted, reinstalled W8 (which I quite like, incidentally!), and fired up the same save game (save games stored on Steam cloud for JC2. Annnnd, crash.

So I memtested overnight, 4 passes 0 errors.

Prime95 blend this morning, 30 minutes, 0 errors.

I wanted a different program that would really do a general, controllable test, so I loaded up 3DMark 11. Crash! Oh crap, I thought.

The 3DMark crash was something to do with KERNALBASE.dll.
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00000000000189cc

Then I tried again and did the full 3DMark benchmark 3 times without event.

So, back to JC2. Loading up an older save game, played through for 25 mins and did not have any crashes.

My queries are:

Is the above fault offset likely to originate due to a software or hardware fault? Could it really just have been the integrity of that save game file? I'm not really very experienced at debugging but win debug said something about a stack pointer mismatch :o  .

Naturally, I'll be running other apps to see if any similar faults crop up and will update this thread if they do. I was just hoping, on the off-chance, that someone who could understand the error logs (particularly the address parts) could shed some light.

Many thanks for your time!

More about : strange problems

November 12, 2012 9:15:49 PM

First of all anyone can slap parts together and claim they can build a PC.
That is YOUR major malfunction.
To get to the essentials, you need to make sure that:
1) Ram Chips voltage matches MB default Ram Slot voltage, not OC.
2) PSU must have enough AMPs on all rails to supply devices installed.
3) For a new MB, CMOS battery should be ok, but maybe it sat on shelf too long.
4) If you overclocked your system, live with the quirks, OC leads to instability and frying your components 4x faster than stock.
November 12, 2012 11:13:16 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
4) If you overclocked your system, live with the quirks, OC leads to instability and frying your components 4x faster than stock.

Not sure why anyone would insist on being so rude, but the problem was a corrupt steam cloud file after all.

This may be my first build since Kentsfield, but I've been 'slapping parts together' for a while now.

Regards.
November 12, 2012 11:26:53 PM

Cyberat_88 said:

what the heck is your problem dude? i mean i like that you did give advice, but why would you start it off like that?
!