I am looking to build a busget set up for the following uses;
- music production on Cubase using software synths
- some gaming (Battlefield 3, Guild Wars 2, WoW)
I have a Mac Mini (with Logic installed), but it's old and doesn't have enough storage/memory to use the soft synths that I need, and it's cheaper to build a PC to do this than it is to get a new Mac!
I am looking at the Pentium G630 CPU with the Gigabyte GA-B75M-DH3, and probably a HD7850 or a GTX650 (depending on how much money I have left, the GTX650 is only £89 compared to £154 for the 7850).
I am looking to purchase this at around Xmas, so prices may change. I may have to get the CPU before then as I am worried it'll sell out or else go off the market..
I've the following questions
- this motherboard supports PCI Express 3.0. I don't really know what this is, but assume it's better than PCI E 2! However, I understand that the CPU doesn't, and so it won't be working on my set up?
- In order to actually use PCIE 3, do the CPU and the mobo and the inserted card (GPU in my case) need to support it?
- I'll be starting off getting 4Gb cheap RAM, but later may need up to 16Gb (depends on how intensive the software synths are). Is it possible to mix and match RAM from different manufacturers? I see quite a few mentions of 'dual channel kit' on the online stores - does this just mean they are bundling two sticks together?
- this mobo was recommended on this site, but would I be OK with a cheaper one?