oldWoD -- Gypsies

illecebra <vyyrproenROT13@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think that I recall once reading rules for Gypsies in a White Wolf
> campaign... I'd like to stick a couple in my current campaign, but I
> can't seem to find where I got the rules.
>
> Anyone know where I can put my grubby lil hands on a copy?

First off, the general disclaimer is to recommend against it. It
is a bit of an embarrassment to White Wolf in that it made racist
stereotypes into supernatural powers for that race in the WoD.
I know that a lot of character types look like racial caricatures
(such as drunken Fianna), but at least the others applied to some
fictional group existing only in the WoD. WoD:G was supposed to
cover Romani, a real people, magically empowered in the WoD. The
whole thing was not a good idea, but the implementation was worse
('Gypsy' racial powers included supernaturally erotic dancing and
'Truth of the Rom' - the ability to lie absolutely convincingly).

You can find a number of threads on WoD:G in Google Groups. In
general, the articles are pretty negative on the book. Many also
contain racist epithets, used to illustrate that the word 'Gypsy'
itself is a derogatory term used against Romani (just to forewarn
you, if you're bothered by such language).

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=gypsies&meta=group%3Dalt.games.whitewolf.*

That said, if you do want a copy, you can purchase an electronic
version from DriveThruRPG.com. It's $7.50 and requires that you
use Adobe Acrobat 6 (available only on Windows 98SE and later or
Mac OS X). To literally get your grubby lil hands on it, you'll
have to print it out, of course. ;)

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_15&products_id=338

> Susan

Vis Sierra

Vis Sierra wrote:
| illecebra <vyyrproenROT13@yahoo.com> wrote:
|

|>I think that I recall once reading rules for Gypsies in a White Wolf
|>campaign... I'd like to stick a couple in my current campaign, but I
|>can't seem to find where I got the rules.
|>
|>Anyone know where I can put my grubby lil hands on a copy?
|

| First off, the general disclaimer is to recommend against it. It
| is a bit of an embarrassment to White Wolf in that it made racist
| stereotypes into supernatural powers for that race in the WoD.
| I know that a lot of character types look like racial caricatures
| (such as drunken Fianna), but at least the others applied to some
| fictional group existing only in the WoD. WoD:G was supposed to
| cover Romani, a real people, magically empowered in the WoD. The
| whole thing was not a good idea, but the implementation was worse
| ('Gypsy' racial powers included supernaturally erotic dancing and
| 'Truth of the Rom' - the ability to lie absolutely convincingly).

I have to say that I'm now /more/ interested in seeing the rules, but
for different reasons. I can't imagine them getting that stupid about
it, especially when the Old Religion (my Hungarian is atrocious, so I
won't attempt to type the appropriate name) is so rich with things you
could build on to make a fantastic character out of. Then again, some
of my relatives would roll over in their graves to hear such a suggestion.

| You can find a number of threads on WoD:G in Google Groups. In
| general, the articles are pretty negative on the book. Many also
| contain racist epithets, used to illustrate that the word 'Gypsy'
| itself is a derogatory term used against Romani (just to forewarn
| you, if you're bothered by such language).

I really don't get the bit about the word "Gypsy." I am of Gypsy
descent, and my entire family uses the term "Gypsy" to describe our
heritage. Not all Gypsies are Rom/Roma/Romani (I am Gypsy but not
Romani). There are other terms that older family members used to use,
but since the old languages have fallen out of use, those terms have
gone to the wayside as well... I know the one my grandfather most often
used translates to "the people."

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=gypsies&meta=group%3Dalt.games.whitewolf.*

| That said, if you do want a copy, you can purchase an electronic
| version from DriveThruRPG.com. It's $7.50 and requires that you
| use Adobe Acrobat 6 (available only on Windows 98SE and later or
| Mac OS X).

Don't forget Linux. Never forget Linux. :)

| To literally get your grubby lil hands on it, you'll
| have to print it out, of course. ;)
<snip>

Touche. ;)

Thanks for the info.

Susan

illecebra wrote:

> Don't forget Linux. Never forget Linux. :)

Nope. Linux doesn't interact with the authentication software yet. You
can't use DriveThruRPG stuff with Linux. You have to use Win98SE or
later or OS X.
--
Stephenls
Geek

illecebra <vyyrproenROT13@yahoo.com> wrote:

You've got a PGP signature thingy going on there. It doesn't
bother me, but you might want to have it looked it.

> Vis Sierra wrote:
> | illecebra <vyyrproenROT13@yahoo.com> wrote:

> | First off, the general disclaimer is to recommend against it. It
> | is a bit of an embarrassment to White Wolf in that it made racist
> | stereotypes into supernatural powers for that race in the WoD.
> | I know that a lot of character types look like racial caricatures
> | (such as drunken Fianna), but at least the others applied to some
> | fictional group existing only in the WoD. WoD:G was supposed to
> | cover Romani, a real people, magically empowered in the WoD. The
> | whole thing was not a good idea, but the implementation was worse
> | ('Gypsy' racial powers included supernaturally erotic dancing and
> | 'Truth of the Rom' - the ability to lie absolutely convincingly).
>
> I have to say that I'm now /more/ interested in seeing the rules, but
> for different reasons. I can't imagine them getting that stupid about
> it, especially when the Old Religion (my Hungarian is atrocious, so I
> won't attempt to type the appropriate name) is so rich with things you
> could build on to make a fantastic character out of. Then again, some
> of my relatives would roll over in their graves to hear such a suggestion.

I think it was more that it offended living Romani than dead non-
Romani Hungarian Gypsies, no disrespect to your honored ancestors
intended. :)

> | You can find a number of threads on WoD:G in Google Groups. In
> | general, the articles are pretty negative on the book. Many also
> | contain racist epithets, used to illustrate that the word 'Gypsy'
> | itself is a derogatory term used against Romani (just to forewarn
> | you, if you're bothered by such language).
>
> I really don't get the bit about the word "Gypsy." I am of Gypsy
> descent, and my entire family uses the term "Gypsy" to describe our
> heritage. Not all Gypsies are Rom/Roma/Romani (I am Gypsy but not
: Romani).

I think that's the key. The book uses Rom and Gypsy interchange-
ably, so don't expect much support for Irish Travelers or others.
According to WoD:G, all Gypsies (meaning Rom) are descended from
one woman around the time of the First or Second City of Vampire
mythology. I don't recall whether WoD:G attributed other groups
that have ben called Gypsies a relationship to the fictional Rom
ancestor or simply left them out as not being 'true' Gypsies.

A lot of what was offensive was because it played on stereotypes
associated with the Romani in particular. One thing that stands
out is that real-world Romani have a strong tradition of purity-
related taboos. Here's an example from the Patrin Web site:

The marimé concept applied to personal hygiene means
"dirty" or "polluted." Much of it stems from the division
of a woman's body into two parts, above the waist and below
the waist. A woman is clean from the waist up and
"polluted" from the waist down. There is no shame, lashav,
connected with the upper part of the body. The lower part
of the body is, however, an object of shame, baro lashav,
because it is associated with menstruation. The fact that
blood flows without injury seems to be the proof of a
bodily impurity. This concept of marimé as applied to women
is one explanation in many tribes the Roma women wear long
skirts and the fact that the bottom of those skirts must
not touch a man other than the Roma woman's husband.

- http://www.geocities.com/Paris/5121/beliefs.htm#Taboos

Blood is especially profane. In WoD:G, this is presented as a
sham, a belief presented to outsiders to conceal that blood is
the source of their magical powers, and the sourcebook includes
sharing blood on a knife (IIRC) as a way of pooling their powers.
As a gamer, it may be a slick, atmospheric system, but to Romani,
it's highly offensive as a presentation of the Rom in the WoD.

: There are other terms that older family members used to use,
> but since the old languages have fallen out of use, those terms have
> gone to the wayside as well... I know the one my grandfather most often
> used translates to "the people."

Nod. I am not an expert and have done little or no research, but
I'm given to understand that to Romani, especially in Europe, the
word "Gypsy" can be highly offensive.

> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=gypsies&meta=group%3Dalt.games.whitewolf.*
> |
> | That said, if you do want a copy, you can purchase an electronic
> | version from DriveThruRPG.com. It's $7.50 and requires that you
> | use Adobe Acrobat 6 (available only on Windows 98SE and later or
> | Mac OS X).
>
> Don't forget Linux. Never forget Linux. :)

As Stephenls pointed out, Adobe has. Or rather, the ability to
view DRM-protected documents on Linux hasn't been a high enough
priority that for Adobe to port Acrobat 6 to Linux yet.

You may be able to try some sort of emulation to get it to run
thinking it's running under Windows, but I have no idea whether
it would work.

> Thanks for the info.

De nada.

If you do come up with any non-Rom Gypsy material for your game,
please keep a.g.ww in mind. WoD:G has made Gypsy magic basically
taboo, which has left a void for Romani and others called Gypsies
being represented in a setting full of varied spiritual beliefs.
Unfortunately, that's left WoD:G as the last word on the subject.
The newsgroup's in a bit of a lull while White Wolf works on the
new World of Darkness and could use some new blood...so to speak.

> Susan

Vis Sierra

Vis Sierra wrote:

> If you do come up with any non-Rom Gypsy material for your game,
> please keep a.g.ww in mind. WoD:G has made Gypsy magic basically
> taboo, which has left a void for Romani and others called Gypsies
> being represented in a setting full of varied spiritual beliefs.
> Unfortunately, that's left WoD:G as the last word on the subject.
> The newsgroup's in a bit of a lull while White Wolf works on the
> new World of Darkness and could use some new blood...so to speak.

I always wanted a supplement called WoD: Nomads, about a secret
collection of mystical bloodlines that infiltrates and hides within the
nomadic cultures of the world, from desert herders in Egypt to Rroma in
Europe. They'd have powers like "change ethnicity" and "adapt
psychically to customs," and they'd have sacred sites that let them walk
through portals from one side of the world to the other, or something
like that.

Maybe give them an Alienation score for angst purposes.

It'd at least be less offensive than WoD: Gypsies, and you could
probably play them as the embodiments of The Stranger What You Should Fear.

As it is, the best way to handle Rroma with mystical powers is to give
them a few dots in an appropriate linear magic path. Or just make one
an actual affinitive mage.
--

Stephenls wrote:
> illecebra wrote:
>
>> Don't forget Linux. Never forget Linux. :)
>
> Nope. Linux doesn't interact with the authentication software yet. You
> can't use DriveThruRPG stuff with Linux. You have to use Win98SE or
> later or OS X.

I loathe "digital rights management."
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood ROCKS!" -- Fighter,
8-bit Theatre

Stephenls wrote:

> As it is, the best way to handle Rroma with mystical powers is to give
> them a few dots in an appropriate linear magic path. Or just make one
^^^^^^
> an actual affinitive mage.

You misspelled "hedge," HTH, HAND.
--

"Richard Clayton" <reZIGclaytonZIG@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Stephenls wrote:
>
> > As it is, the best way to handle Rroma with mystical powers is to give
> > them a few dots in an appropriate linear magic path. Or just make one
> ^^^^^^
> > an actual affinitive mage.
>
> You misspelled "hedge," HTH, HAND.

You *could* say that. Hard to be condescending with a zero-Paradox fireball
up your ass, tho'. ;)

- David Prokopetz.

Vis Sierra wrote:

<snip>
| You've got a PGP signature thingy going on there. It doesn't
| bother me, but you might want to have it looked it.

Have it looked at? I sign all my messages on purpose, it's a geek
thing. :) If anyone's interested, I've stuck my public key near the end
of this message.

|>Vis Sierra wrote:

<snip>
| As Stephenls pointed out, Adobe has. Or rather, the ability to
| view DRM-protected documents on Linux hasn't been a high enough
| priority that for Adobe to port Acrobat 6 to Linux yet.

Ewwww... I generally avoid DRM "protected" stuff. It generally comes
down to trying to read with blinders on, turning pages with your teeth
because your hands are tied.

<snip>

| If you do come up with any non-Rom Gypsy material for your game,
| please keep a.g.ww in mind. WoD:G has made Gypsy magic basically
| taboo, which has left a void for Romani and others called Gypsies
| being represented in a setting full of varied spiritual beliefs.
| Unfortunately, that's left WoD:G as the last word on the subject.
| The newsgroup's in a bit of a lull while White Wolf works on the
| new World of Darkness and could use some new blood...so to speak.

<snip>

I think that I may just do that. I had an NPC prepped that I was only
waiting on rules to bring in (and one of my PC werewolves, who knows
about her OOC as I consulted with him on a couple of things, is already
contemplating pups!).

I'd appreciate the help of a.g.ww in ironing out the wrinkles before I
drop her into the campaign.

Susan

P.S. the promised copy of my GPG public key:

Public key for 0xA4F6A965F7BE859D

Vis Sierra <visitant@geocities.com> wrote in message
> : There are other terms that older family members used to use,
> > but since the old languages have fallen out of use, those terms have
> > gone to the wayside as well... I know the one my grandfather most often
> > used translates to "the people."
>
> Nod. I am not an expert and have done little or no research, but
> I'm given to understand that to Romani, especially in Europe, the
> word "Gypsy" can be highly offensive.
---------
The word is only used in the British Isles and arose because the first
arrivals were wrongly thought to be from Egypt (early records actually used
the word "Egyptian" or "Gyptian") having fled the Arab conquest - since it
initially gave them respect and sympathy, the gypsies were not anxious to
correct the mistake, even if they were aware at the time that Egypt was not
their ultimate place of origin. The word "Gypsy" is not as respectful as
some other terms, but it's news to me if many people consider it offensive
as such.

--
You are Not entering Chapeltown.
We walk on two legs, the one abstract

Richard Clayton wrote:
> Stephenls wrote:
>> illecebra wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget Linux. Never forget Linux. :)
>>
>> Nope. Linux doesn't interact with the authentication software yet. You
>> can't use DriveThruRPG stuff with Linux. You have to use Win98SE or
>> later or OS X.
>
> I loathe "digital rights management."

Thankfully, Monte Cook bowed to fan pressure and offered his PDFs the way he
used to, DRM-free.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nath Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person.
But every once in a while you just can be a real wise and beautiful woman.
- Bill

Certic wrote:

> The word is only used in the British Isles and arose because the first
> arrivals were wrongly thought to be from Egypt (early records actually
> used the word "Egyptian" or "Gyptian") having fled the Arab conquest -
> since it initially gave them respect and sympathy, the gypsies were not
> anxious to correct the mistake, even if they were aware at the time that
> Egypt was not their ultimate place of origin. The word "Gypsy" is not as
> respectful as some other terms, but it's news to me if many people
> consider it offensive as such.

Heh. "What do you know about gypsies?"

"I know they're not to be trusted."

Interestingly, that film has characters refer to the pikies as "gyppos", which
is funny considering that I've heard real Egyptians-from-Egypt called gyppos
here. It's not polite here either.

--

Christopher Adams <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
> Certic wrote:
> >
> > The word is only used in the British Isles and arose because the first
> > arrivals were wrongly thought to be from Egypt (early records actually
> > used the word "Egyptian" or "Gyptian") having fled the Arab conquest -
> > since it initially gave them respect and sympathy, the gypsies were not
> > anxious to correct the mistake, even if they were aware at the time that
> > Egypt was not their ultimate place of origin. The word "Gypsy" is not as
> > respectful as some other terms, but it's news to me if many people
> > consider it offensive as such.
>
> Heh. "What do you know about gypsies?"
>
> "I know they're not to be trusted."
>
> Interestingly, that film has characters refer to the pikies as "gyppos",
which
> is funny considering that I've heard real Egyptians-from-Egypt called
gyppos
> here. It's not polite here either.
--------
What film is this?

--
You are Not entering Chapeltown.
We walk on two legs, the one abstract
the other surreal.
All important political action should be
aimed at persuading people of the
necessity of further sacrifices.
- Ardian Vehbiu, "Handbook for
Aspiring Stalinists"

Personally, I never got all the loathing Gypsy evoked. I thought the
opening sidebar in the introduction adequately explained the diffence
between the RL Romani and the fictional characters enough that no
offense should be taken. I could see if any actual Rom DID complain,
but I never heard of such...

As for the racial stereotyping in powers being unacceptable, I have to
wonder why that Fianna gift that lets them make alcoholic drinks out
of anything is still in print...

Stephenls is right, btw; if the Blood Affinities *do* upset, they're
very easy to replace with Sorcery Paths. In fact, you might just rule
that any given Rom family is simply a Craft, with an inherited
paradigm/foci...

FWIW, I did like the image of the WoD Rom; that here was a group that
just outside enough of all the supernatural goings-on to have a unique
perspective of the bigger picture than the supers themselves did.
There are also some nice plot ideas to tie into an Apocalypse
chronicle, esp. one heavy on X-over...

Just my two-Jade coins...

Dex

>Personally, I never got all the loathing Gypsy evoked. I thought the
>opening sidebar in the introduction adequately explained the diffence
>between the RL Romani and the fictional characters

I loathed it not because it played into stereotypes, but because it contained
nothing that seemed based at all on the
real culture. It's like having a sourcebook on France in which Marseilles and
Paris aren't mentioned because all the cities are fictional.

myrnag2555@aol.com (Myrnag2555) wrote in message news:<20040709181009.05051.00001043@mb-m24.aol.com>...
> >Personally, I never got all the loathing Gypsy evoked. I thought the
> >opening sidebar in the introduction adequately explained the diffence
> >between the RL Romani and the fictional characters
>
> I loathed it not because it played into stereotypes, but because it contained
> nothing that seemed based at all on the
> real culture.

Did you think it played into stereotypes, tho? It's often said that
stereotypes are based on a kernal of truth, tho those they are about
sometimes don't think they have any basis at all...(oftimes, however,
they do)

> It's like having a sourcebook on France in which Marseilles and
> Paris aren't mentioned because all the cities are fictional.

I wonder if you felt the same way about Vampire and Werewolf, neither
of which let themselves be constrained by any prior source, real or
imaginary...

Dex

>I wonder if you felt the same way about Vampire and Werewolf, neither
>of which let themselves be constrained by any prior source, real or
>imaginary...

Vampire contained a hodgepodge of pretty much every vampire fiction ever
written. Vampires who could turn into bats and wolves and mist, vampires
repelled by crosses held up by true believers, vampires who burned in sunlight,
vampires who were immobilised by being staked, vampires who
bound other vampires by giving them a sip of blood...

As for Werewolf, no I didn't like it much.

myrnag2555@aol.com (Myrnag2555) wrote in message news:<20040710004927.25422.00001270@mb-m29.aol.com>...

> >I wonder if you felt the same way about Vampire and Werewolf, neither
> >of which let themselves be constrained by any prior source, real or
> >imaginary...
>
> Vampire contained a hodgepodge of pretty much every vampire fiction ever
> written. Vampires who could turn into bats and wolves and mist, vampires
> repelled by crosses held up by true believers, vampires who burned in sunlight,
> vampires who were immobilised by being staked, vampires who
> bound other vampires by giving them a sip of blood...

And much that wastn't, like Sects and clans, a doomsday prophecy,
varied powers & sorcery...

> As for Werewolf, no I didn't like it much.

OK, you're being consistent then!^_^

Dex

>by being staked, vampires who
>> bound other vampires by giving them a sip of blood...
>>
>And much that wastn't, like Sects and clans, a doomsday prophecy,
>varied powers & sorcery...

The sects and clans, and the varied powers
were a necessary component of being a hodgepodge. Besides, my beef with
Gypsies is not that they added things that weren't real but that they included
nothing that was real. And unlike vampires, Romani are real.