Using multiple ip address with cable modem

earla

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I am having 5 IP addresses assigned to me. I have one commercial/business modem/gateway/router. If I want to have the advantage of separate lines (go with this for now) how else can the gateway do it other than simply passing the IP directly through, no router function, basically a modem/switch, everything else not there.

earla

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I should have mentioned that as is you can use this as a standard cable router. I should also mention that this is a business account . Not that the technical details of configuration are different.

So if I setup a Mac/PC/BSD on one of the router ports with say a dynamic ip, then I go though the router WAN. If I set up the Mac with one of my static IP addresses assigned, I am directly assigned a connection to Comcast with no firewall, which of course I won't do, basically a switch function. Obviously I can setup the Mac with a static ip on the router subnet, trivial info.

Thanks,
Earl

earla

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
The setup is simple. It can be used as a router or a switch. Difference is that you either use DHCP or you don't (client machine that is). Don't use DHCP, which makes it a switch, and you assign the static ip say 5x.3x.xxx.xxx which is one of 5 I bought, to the host, assign appropiate subnet and whatever DNS you choose to use, good to go. Done deal.

Or set up static/dynamic DHCP on the client and you use the router same old thing that we all know how to do in that case.

I hope I've helped others in this regard. If not ping me cack.

earlalbin@gmail.com

glad to help

earla

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
5 I bought, to the host, assign appropiate
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incorrect, not host, not host, I should have stated clients. Say any connected device, PC, Mac, BSD. wireless AP, etc.

In my client setup, just use static and assign one of my Comcsat static IP in the setup panel, apppropriate subnet, etc