Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good upgradable starter PC?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 8, 2012 11:31:34 AM

I was looking for a cheap pre-built starter PC as a good foundation to start upgrading it slowly over time in to a lower end budget gaming PC. I was wondering if this DELL is a good choice for that?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-745-Interlaced-Performance-P...

I already have a new 500watt PSU and a sapphire radeon HD 5450 to throw in to it as my first few budget starter upgrades.

The reason why i'm not building a budget PC from scratch is that the PC iam currently using is 7 years old and on its last leg and its parts are all breaking down slowly. So i need a PC to use while i gather parts before my current PC totally ends itself for good.

My current PC is a P4 with 2 gigs of ram max, and a broken PCIE slot, so i cant even upgrade anything on it, so the linked PC is already a bunch better even without me adding anything, but i thought i would get some opinions before i buy it.

More about : good upgradable starter

November 8, 2012 12:43:29 PM

This is not a very upgradable system. I have several of these around the office. They use a BTX format mobo. Short of adding RAM or increasing the size of HDDs, their expansion capabilities are very limited.

Even with a stronger PSU, heat can also be an issue if you install a higher end GPU. Your HD5450 should be fine, but I wouldn't install a HD68XX/HD78XX or higher GPU in one of these.

I would rather see you save your money and apply it to a more modern rig.

What do you have now (full specs)?
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:08:47 PM

im currently using this. Only difference is that i added 1GB of ram.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-...

The few graphics cards i tried in it can't get a signal, so i have to assume that my mother board is having issues.

The only thing i wanted to upgrade in the Dell is ram, psu and a video card and use it as a temporary makeshift PC until i get the rest of the money to use those parts to build my own custom PC.

My current PC is really acting up, and having the 2GB ram limitation and having to use on board video is killing me. :??: 

m
l
Related resources
November 8, 2012 1:16:47 PM

The HP could actually be upgraded with a standard mATX motherboard (and processor/RAM).

Something to consider.

BTW, the Dells are like tanks and will run forever.
m
l
November 8, 2012 1:38:31 PM

SO if I understand you right OP you want a computer that you can use while you build a good computer? IF this is the case then its a fine choice if not most pre built pcs are not very upgradable.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:03:48 PM

Dude ! ... You might buy a Dell !!

I still like Dell's - still using 2 in my house. I've been a fan since '97. BUT - they are not very upgradable. They do have GREAT PSU's - the watts are actually underated I believe.

That said - if you need a new PC NOW - the one you've selected will suffice. Unfortunately, the $150 you spend on this Dell will likely be lost (I don't think you'll use any of this machine in your new build. 'Cept maybe the small HDD - MAYBE).

One option: Keep current machine on life support. Scrape together $500 and build a new one ... if able that is.

Good Luck
m
l
!