[Exalted] Combining Martial Arts forms in combos?

Is it possible to combine multiple martial arts forms in Combos?

For example - assuming the normal rules for form charms (no more than 1
active), could an Exalt martial artist have a combo that contained non-form
Charms from several different martial arts? Would they work like normal
charms?

Further, it seems to me that even multiple form charms could be inserted
into a combo, if the Exalt were willing to drop active form effects prior to
activating a new form charm during combat. "Look at the way that Solar
shifts between Tiger and Snake forms! That Abyssal doesn't stand a chance!"

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

CB

Intelligroove wrote:

> Is it possible to combine multiple martial arts forms in Combos?

> For example - assuming the normal rules for form charms (no more than 1
> active), could an Exalt martial artist have a combo that contained non-form
> Charms from several different martial arts? Would they work like normal
> charms?

> Further, it seems to me that even multiple form charms could be inserted
> into a combo, if the Exalt were willing to drop active form effects prior to
> activating a new form charm during combat. "Look at the way that Solar
> shifts between Tiger and Snake forms! That Abyssal doesn't stand a chance!"

Do you mean "forms," or "styles"?

If your question is "Can you stick Martial Arts Charms from different
Martial Arts Charm Cascades into Combos with each other?" then the
answer is "Yes." There is no rule preventing it, and it has been
observed that one of the strengths of Martial Arts is the combos you can
do by crossing all the forms.

(I can't bring up a page reference for this, except to note that no
matter where you look, nowhere do the books say that you can't, nor do
they say or imply that MA Charms are different than other Charms when it
comes to Combos.)

If your question is "Can you stick MA Form Charms into Combos?" then the
answer is "No, because Charms of non-instant duration can't be put into
Combos, and MA Form charms have non-instant durations."
--
Stephenls
Geek

Intelligroove wrote:
> Is it possible to combine multiple martial arts forms in Combos?
>
> For example - assuming the normal rules for form charms (no more than 1
> active), could an Exalt martial artist have a combo that contained non-form
> Charms from several different martial arts? Would they work like normal
> charms?
>
> Further, it seems to me that even multiple form charms could be inserted
> into a combo, if the Exalt were willing to drop active form effects prior to
> activating a new form charm during combat. "Look at the way that Solar
> shifts between Tiger and Snake forms! That Abyssal doesn't stand a chance!"
>
> Thoughts?

There are no rules anywhere starting you can't use Charms from Form A
while using Form B. So given /Exalted's/ "all things not explicitly
forbidden are allowed" philosophy, I would say "Why not?"
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]

"Mmm! Power lines and paint chips! My childhood ROCKS!" -- Fighter,
8-bit Theatre

Intelligroove wrote:

> Is it possible to combine multiple martial arts forms in Combos?
>
> For example - assuming the normal rules for form charms (no more than 1
> active), could an Exalt martial artist have a combo that contained non-form
> Charms from several different martial arts? Would they work like normal
> charms?
>
> Further, it seems to me that even multiple form charms could be inserted
> into a combo, if the Exalt were willing to drop active form effects prior to
> activating a new form charm during combat. "Look at the way that Solar
> shifts between Tiger and Snake forms! That Abyssal doesn't stand a chance!"
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> CB

No, you can never have two Form Charms active at the same time. When activating
a new one it will automatically cancel the one you previously had on. There is
an exception though. There is a Sidereal MA Form Charm that allows you to
activate two Form Charms and have both benifits at the same time (allong with
the SidMA Form Charm, which technically means you have 3 Forms Charms on at the
same time).

In fact, this SidMA has many sub-Form Charms of itself, and when activating the
above mentioned 'ultimate' Form Charm you can also opt to activate up to all of
the sub-Form Charms of the same style. I'm not sure how many that are (I don't
have the book with me at the moment), but it's more than 3.

Michael Dracon
Ex Libris Nocturnis Forum Moderator
http://www.nocturnis.net

"Maybe there is just a lot of full moons out there, somewhere,
lined up, beaming bozo rays into everybody's brains."
- Zack Allen, Babylon 5

http://home.wanadoo.nl/members/michaeldracon

Michael Dracon wrote:

> In fact, this SidMA has many sub-Form Charms of itself, and when activating the
> above mentioned 'ultimate' Form Charm you can also opt to activate up to all of
> the sub-Form Charms of the same style. I'm not sure how many that are (I don't
> have the book with me at the moment), but it's more than 3.

The Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Form allows you to activate all
four subsidiary Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Style forms (Four
Magical Materials Form, Demesne and Manse Form, Soul Fire Shaper Form,
and Games of Divinity Form) at once, or else any two forms from any
other sources at once.
--
Stephenls
Geek
"I'm as impure as the driven yellow snow." -Spike

> (I can't bring up a page reference for this, except to note that no
> matter where you look, nowhere do the books say that you can't, nor do
> they say or imply that MA Charms are different than other Charms when it
> comes to Combos.)
>
> If your question is "Can you stick MA Form Charms into Combos?" then the
> answer is "No, because Charms of non-instant duration can't be put into
> Combos, and MA Form charms have non-instant durations."

Doh! Forgot the first holy grail rule of Combos. Thanks, Stephenls!

That cleared up my question. Gracias.

CB